WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Could We Create a Business Together?

Comments

• Options
    greytartgreytart subscriber Posts: 0
    Why not create an online "university for entrepreneurs" that provides online courses; consulting; business resources and business related products? 
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Why not create an online "university for entrepreneurs" that provides online courses; consulting; business resources and business related products? 
    Isn`t this being done through SCORE? Do we want to try to compete with a non-profit who gives these types of services away for free!? If we do...how would we make ourselves stand out...how would we be different!?
  • Options
    conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
    Leah, Score in my town is not online. You have to get in your car and drive there and they only give you an hour plus to me it is very inconvenient. It takes me about 2 hours with driving there and back to get one hour of mentoring. Plus you may get put with different counselers if your own favorite is on vacation. That`s what happened to me and I just didnt go back. Also a Score counselor will probably have experience in a few areas only.I think with all the experience and expertise that Sun members bring to the table all categories would be covered. Online entreprenaurial training, courses, etc, in my opinion is great. I dont know who wouldnt want to take advantage of that. I probably subscribe to 20 or so different newsletters pertaining to all aspects of business. I am sure that I must get the same information over and over from different authors.  If there was a way to consolidate all this information so you dont get the same ole stuff but new information then one could learn more with less time.. I take HP courses online, which are free. They are great and they also have a community board  to ask questions of the teachers and also interact with other students. This board is up for as long as the class is in session then the course material is available after that to a certain date.  So you can even store that to your hard drive if in the middle you find yourself short of time and you cant finish the course. I think this could be great tool for new startups, experienced entreprenaurs and everyone inbetween. Instead of googling when you have a question or posting your question to the forum you could go right tothe right department at Sun and get help!.....That would be a wonderful thing just my 2 cents
  • Options
    john146john146 subscriber Posts: 0
    Better, think of Internet2.

The Internet as we know it is about to undergo a fundamental change,
    and go away.

Can you point to sources? I`m aware of web 2.0, and I`m also aware of the
    efforts of some (think eentertainment and telecom) to gain back lost
    control in their dislike of the democratization of media via the internet
    with it`s intelligence at the edges design, but they aren`t going to put the
    genie back in the bottle. But if you`re talking about something else, I`d
    like to see some additional sources.

Thanks
    john1462006-10-11 23:0:45
  • Options
    JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Everbody! Rich and I just spoke at an event in Montreal and I flew to Louisville and Rich is back in Michigan. Sorry I`ve been out of the forum for a couple of days. I just arrived in my hotel room....a bit weary admittedly! I`ll post comments tomorrow...
    I`m off to dreaming of starting up a new biz with my friends at SUN!
    Jeff
  • Options
    HairConspiracyHairConspiracy subscriber Posts: 3
    Wow!  I read through as many posts as I had time for (up to page 7 out of 10) and it sounds like an excellent experiment!  To see how men and women could come together to create one product, seeing that women launch differently from men.  I think it will be fascinating!  I would like to see a charity component added, maybe even a for-profit that uses it`s profits to help those less fortunate.  And I would like to see it have a "Green" component as well.  Green is very HOT right now and I suspect that trend will continue as we ween ourselves off of foreign oil.  I think the charity component will help us avoid the competitiveness and have us competeing to be successful for the good of the charity and not to line our pockets.  If that works, then we would know that we could then create a successful biz to line our pockets! ;o)   Well, I am definitely "Right-brain" so I can contribute to the vision and the visual---don`t expect me to work with numbers!!! LOL

I say we go for it!
    B
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Leah, Score in my town is not online. You have to get in your car and drive there and they only give you an hour plus to me it is very inconvenient. It takes me about 2 hours with driving there and back to get one hour of mentoring. Plus you may get put with different counselers if your own favorite is on vacation. That`s what happened to me and I just didnt go back. Also a Score counselor will probably have experience in a few areas only.
    Wow...that is not the experience I have had with SCORE...I would agree with you if that were how it happened with me...and you are right...even here it isn`t online...I did forget that! I have had a great experience though. My first counselor was more into marketing...so she found another counselor for me to meet with...who dealt with a lot of non-profit startup...and he has introduced me to another counselor who also deals with startups in non-profit and more specifically in the medical arenas. I am sorry your encounter was not as fulfilling! I have to admit...I don`t hear from them unless I initiate the contact...which means not very often anymore. But the resource was good at the beginning...got lots of good ideas out of my head and onto paper!
    I like the idea of a SCORE type SuN company! I know I could`ve used something similar in my startup phases! I have to admit though...it seems to me...that is kind of what these forums are though...only...um...free! (sorry...just being devil`s advocate here)  Although the idea of being able to find the answers quickly without posting and waiting and posting and waiting...that would be nice!
    I like the idea of the Infinite Improbability Drive though...I think we could do it...sure!!!
  • Options
    bjflanaganbjflanagan subscriber Posts: 0
    I like the environmental angle, too, and so does Wall Street.In case you missed it, there`s a terrific new video series out, called Design e^2 (e squared), which is all about exciting new developments in green technology. One little factoid: Mayor Daley is making Chicago the greennest city on the planet.I see this movement only getting larger throughout our lifetimes.
  • Options
    KittykatKittykat subscriber Posts: 0
    Jeff,
    It`s a great idea to start a company with many people and that brings along many skill sets.  Count me in at any time.
    Kitykat
  • Options
    Wait...! Kathy and I were talking, and came up with this: How about a co-op based on a Mall model? Or maybe even on a trade-show model?]
    Great minds think alike! This mall concept is actually in the StartupNation strategic growth plans already. We intend to one day soon have a variety of businesses operating online through the SUN technological infrastructure. The intent is for each individual then to create an online business of their own.
    The intent behind my proposition for all of us to start a business together was really to see if some of us could get together to own an operate a business together.
    Jeff  
  • Options
    This has been tried before. Anybody heard of The Business Experiment? A group of about 800 people joined online to create an online business. Everybody that joined became part owner of the group. It failed. I think one of the biggest reasons for the failure was that out of 800 people, most wern`t pulling their weight. I was one of the 800. I didn`t pull my weight. I, like most people, joined because I was just interested in observing the process. Despite receiving media publicity, The Business Experiment shut down. Too many observers and too few people doing any actual work. I think this type of thing can still work but we would need to learn from the mistakes of The Business Experiment.
    Great information to learn from...I`m not interested in doing an "experiment". I`m interested in creating a successful business or businesses by getting like-minded people together that each are willing to contribute. In no way can I see a startup of 800 people working. The consequence of everyone doing nothing is exactly what I`d expect with that model. If we have 800 people interested in doing something like this, I`d rather have 80 new businesses started with teams of 10 people or less each at the startup level. Let`s start with one and learn from that model and go on from there...
    This is obviously revolutionary and innovative thinking and lots of logistics to work through in the process of pioneering this effort...
    Thanks again for providing the helpful information. You make a very strong point that we will need to pay careful attention to as we go forward.
    Best,
    Jeff
  • Options

Hi Jeff,
    I think this idea is fantastic.  Since I have an HR background I would be happy to assist with how virtual organizations work and how remote people work together, and with any other "people related issues."
    Janet

Janet...we need the capabilility of interviewing and vetting people (background checks, etc.) who are interested in joining the team. Do you have that capability? Would you be willing?
    Jeff
  • Options
    QUOTE]Jeff, please correct me if I`m wrong, but I believe he intended for this business to be created by members of the SUN community perhaps using the infrastructure of SUN to facilitate its formation and growth. It is not supposed to be a new way to derive additional income from SUN as we know it.[/QUOTE]
    exactly right....
    Jeff
  • Options

I been thinking about all the collective knowledge within this community and how can we spread this wisdom about being an entreprenuer to others, especially our children. 
    I would like to see us start-up - SUNU - Start Up Nation University.  Develop an entire cirriculum on the art, science, and facts on start-ups.  Provide "certifications" for those who could provide teaching to our schools around the country.  We are only as good if we can deliver our knowledge to students, who for the most part never acquire this education.
    Thought, ideas???
    This is a great idea. We`d love to off this at SUN!
    Jeff 
  • Options
    rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5

"Being Green" is a pretty thought, applied to reasonable and
    thoughtful people with an eye toward the future. But is isn`t something
    that should be codified into a business plan, regulated into the
    business charter, and so forth. Rather, it should be assigned to the
    intangible aspect of the understood but not-written "corporate
    culture."Craig -Interesting that this just came up as my wife and I were just discussing this whole issue, and it`s no small issue either, with many subtleties that branch in any number of possible directions...My current "Short" opinion on this is:First, I think that companies should codify it`s position on being "green" in its business plan.  Being written down and acknowledged gives it a much better chance of becoming part of the companies culture.  Otherwise it`s just a "good" idea, "Sorry, we don`t have the time or money to deal with it.  If you (meaning the poor employee who brings it up) want to do something on your own time, feel free but that`s the extent of it..."Second, make no mistake, I don`t believe that just because being "green" is a worthwhile and necessary thing for a company to be that it should become the trump card that crushes every other business decision just because it "is".  We still need some sound reasoning and business common sense.Let`s face it, we need to not be a society of knee-jerk reactions and really should consider the whole affect that any and all of our choices and decisions will have on society now and into the future. That`s what our nation`s forefathers did...R-