WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Could We Create a Business Together?

Comments

• Options
    WillWill subscriber Posts: 1
    Sounds good to me...whatever I can do to help...I`m willing.
  • Options
    greenmentorgreenmentor subscriber Posts: 0
    I love the idea it is very exiting.
    I`m IN
  • Options
    JackedeJackede subscriber Posts: 1
    I just caught onto this thread and think this may be worth giving an entreprenaureal shot!I breezed through the 15 pages of talk and I am still not sure that we came up with a decision on what the product should be. Since SUN is a community that is concentrating on small business start-ups, then it would seem to me that an e-commerce site that small business start-ups can refer to and buy material from is the thing to do. With that said, how about an e-commerce site full of advertising specialties at a reduced rate?We can team up with ASI (advertising specialty institute) and gain priority pricing. Our following can buy promotional items on our site and we can build up quite a cash reserve, I bet. We will need some start up funding, but not much to start. Then we use our resources to survive. We can constantly add new items from who ever wants to contribute their ideas and make ourselves a promotional distributor that works with small business and entrepreneurs.This can really turn into a co-op of sorts.Count me in, but enough talking... let`s do it!
  • Options
    flipitflipit subscriber Posts: 0
    Jackede, I think your idea is right on target. Lets get it done.
    Flip-It
  • Options
    EricEric subscriber Posts: 8
    I have spent a great deal of time absorbing the elements of this thread from beginning to end. Very interesting. exciting, and somewhat frightening.
    After seeing the aftermath caused by a figurative bone being tossed into sea of ravenous dogs each gnawing desperately on a much less meaty bone of their own,  I`m taking just a moment to issue a word of caution.
    Why are we here?
    Me, I`m here to get advice mostly. I came across Startup Nation when I searched online for answers to questions about business plans of my own. It turned out to be an excellent place to find answers. As an added benefit, I`ve drawn from the social aspect that delivers encouragement and sometimes develops a sense of camaraderie along the way-- takes the tedium out of the business process and replaces it with some heart.
    Startup Nation works well for this and has been going through constant improvement. As more business minded people join this site it will be more attractive to business serving advertisers, and carry more and more weight as an authortiy behind startup knowledge. Really, an opportunity as a massive business on the rise in it`s own right. 
    I would really very much hate to see a group of SuN`s key members, here, openly focus their energy on the complex management of any single particular venture that didn`t bring them here individually in the first place. I see a partition being built in that.
    Tossing around business ideas about is what we all love to do and I really believe that we can and should collectively design winning business concepts. I`m pumped up about the idea(s) also.
    I also believe that there should be great care taken when it comes to implementation as it affects the current SuN model and ensure that it is an entirely separate entity from SuN and that it doesn`t become THE topic as opposed to a topic.
    Let`s not each forget why we came here in the first place.
    ~Eric
  • Options
    rpranterprante subscriber Posts: 0
    I believe this could be a solid concept. There are people looking for information in innumerable areas every day and many need or desire more than what Google can offer. Just a thought from a newbie 
  • Options
    rpranterprante subscriber Posts: 0
    I love the idea and think that it is possible to make this concept a reality, especially with an organization like Startupnation helping pave the way.  I have been looking for an IDEA like this to invest into and this might just be that opportunity.  A message that I saw in response to this idea that was posted by CraigL gave me the following idea.......so let me try to explain:
    Wouldn`t it be great if everytime you needed to know how to do something the Subject Matter Expert (SME) was sitting right next to you to help you personally? What if knowledge from the experts was always current and helped give you the competitive edge you need to be successful in business?  What if that knowledge was available anytime/anywhere 7x24 when and where you need it? 
    What if this proposed VIRTUAL company was able to easily capture key "know how" knowledge from any and all Startupnation Community members about any topic, industry, profession, skill set, process, etc and be able to share it with anyone inside or outside the community easily, effectively and efficiently? Basically, having an expert`s knowledge on-demand 7/24 on any topic when and were you need it....just like having the real expert sitting right next to you?
    We (Scate Technologies), have a computer software tool that can capture any experts knowledge and share it via the web with millions of others that would benefit from that knowledge or information transfer of knowledge.  This tool called IGNITE uses pictures, voice, text and video to organize the experts knowledge and make it available to anyone/anytime via a standard web browser (no software needed on the PC).  Best of all, this tool was designed so that anyone could be creating content in 20 minutes or less with little or no formal training required.
    This product is currently being marketed internationally for $399, but we would be willing to donate 1,000+ complimentary copies (whatever is needed) to Startupnation and the community to make this Virtual company vision a reality.  I (Michael Nunnery) used to volunteer my time with Digital Detroit a few years back and felt strongly about supporting the community and giving back as much as possible.  Donating the tools and business ideas behind creating a Virtual company would be awesome and I would welcome the opportunity to contribute once again.
    It would be easy to host a Learning Management System (LMS) a backend system that stores all the courses and content created by any/all community members.  This LMS would allow easy access to content, usage tracking, content searching, content management, built-in security and ecommerce capabilities.  IGNITE could be used as the tool that is given to every community member (subject expert) to create content (full courses or short how to lessons) and post it in a controlled way upto the LMS for viewing.  Some content could be FREE and other Content with greater value could be charged for using the ecommerce capabilities of the LMS.  By charging from some content and advertising, the Virtual Company would have a very simple and low overhead way of generating income.
    The other benefit is the community members with the complimentary copy of IGNITE could also use this software to develop training, marketing, application development, educational, process for there START UP business.  Remember that in less than 20 minutes anyone could be using this IGNITE tool to create content.  In addition, with access to WebEX, we would also be able to give all the community members access to FREE training on the INGITE product as well as complimentary access to the Scate Ignite Users group where even more tips and tricks are shared. 
    CraigL shared in a recent posting.....Why stop at only creating a single company? Why not form something out of the massive brain trust being organized spontaneously here?This concept is simple to understand once you see a 15 minute presentation of what the IGNITE product is capable of doing and how fast and easy it is to create any kind of content and share it.  The cost is almost nothing since Scate Technolgies the creator of IGNITE would be providing the software and training over the web for FREE to all community members. I have so much more in concept that I would love to share, but I already have gone on much too long in this posted response.  I would love to her what feedback you all might have and I would welcome the opportunity to contribute to the highest levels possible with Virtual Company concept.
    We do weekly FREE webinars that demonstrate the capabilities of IGNITE in about 1/2 hour of your time.  They are held on Tuesday at 10:00am EST and on Thursday at 1:00EST.  You can register for one of these sessions at https://scate.webex.com or if everyone likes this concept I pitched we could set up a special webEX just for community members.  If you register for a webinar when the site loads go to UPcoming Events and then select Registration, then fill out the form.  Make sure you put STARTUPNATION in the "Referred By" field so we know your a Startupnation Community member.  You will then be sent the necessary information via email to access the webEX that you selected.
    Everyone that has taken the time to see this tool has been amazed at its power and simplicity. This is a wonderful way to capture the knowledge that exists in Startupnation Community`s "Brain Trust" and share it with others that would benefit from that knowledge.
    Basically IGNITE allows you to ORGANIZE, CAPTURE, COMMUNICATE, and SHARE information with others. Please provide any feedback that you might have to mnunnery@scate.com or via this forum. 
    Cheers and thanks for allowing me to share......
    Mike Nunnery
     I believe this could be a solid concept. There are people looking for
    information in innumerable areas every day and many need or desire more
    than what Google can offer. Forgot the quote in my previous post
  • Options
    EricEric subscriber Posts: 8
    I knew my response would ruffle a few feathers. That`s alright. Don`t forget that I`m onboard with this idea as a rough general concept. It interesting to watch it evolve.
    Let me clarify that I DO believe that we should colaborate. I DO like the concept of businesses designed (and aided) by SuN members.
    I just don`t want to see Strartup Nation itself become something that it isn`t, i.e. Startup Corporation. Please, for just a moment take a look at what Startup Nation Is about  
    Inspiration, Resources, and Community....
    Perhaps the startupnation.com model as we know it here could still serve as a portal to connect individuals without their own startups that wish to connect with other individual not working on a particular project of their own. That would be a great additional resource of it`s own.If it is already understood that this venture would be an entity comprised of SuN members but for all practical purposes operating outside the boundries of startupnation.com, then by all means let`s continue.
    I really like the idea of teams. (I don`t think it has to be a perfectly round number such as 10) Taking a look at the Prosper.com lending and borrowing system, people can gather as teams/groups to back a project. A system of ownership could be devised where one form of ownership granted through the direct work being done on the project, and another for the always needed monetery contribution. (Anybody have a formula for this? Elids maybe..I believe it was you that came up with some numbers earlier)  
    I am a huge advocate of reducing problems to their most simple forms and here is my take:

Business idea agreed upon and placed in a "circle"
    Participation investment levels are determined: Active or Passive (physically doing a job or investing cash)
    Circle exits are established
    Interested people walk into the circle and pay their "ante"
    Abilities are gauged. Active positions voted into place.
    Work is done. (Active positions are held accountable by group)
    Business launches
    Profits distribute throughout the circle in predetermined portions to active and passive participants.
    I think getting ultra detailed at this point with anything but the business idea itself is counter productive. I`d like to see a consensus on a rough group model first.
    Does anybody agree or disagree with this?
    ~Eric

• Options
    bjflanaganbjflanagan subscriber Posts: 0
    I love the idea and think that it is possible to make this concept a reality, especially with an organization like Startupnation helping pave the way.  I have been looking for an IDEA like this to invest into and this might just be that opportunity.  A message that I saw in response to this idea that was posted by CraigL gave me the following idea.......so let me try to explain:
    Wouldn`t it be great if everytime you needed to know how to do something the Subject Matter Expert (SME) was sitting right next to you to help you personally? What if knowledge from the experts was always current and helped give you the competitive edge you need to be successful in business?  What if that knowledge was available anytime/anywhere 7x24 when and where you need it? 
    What if this proposed VIRTUAL company was able to easily capture key "know how" knowledge from any and all Startupnation Community members about any topic, industry, profession, skill set, process, etc and be able to share it with anyone inside or outside the community easily, effectively and efficiently? Basically, having an expert`s knowledge on-demand 7/24 on any topic when and were you need it....just like having the real expert sitting right next to you?[...]Mike Nunnery
    I love this idea.
  • Options
    CandeeCandee subscriber Posts: 0
    I did the same thing, read the first couple of pages and felt compelled to get my 2cents in. Okay, 1cent for now, I``ll add the other after I have read the other pages.
    I`m already excited about the SUN Team and I just got here. Count me in please...
  • Options
    zmanzman subscriber Posts: 1
    The identity theft idea is spot on...check out this month`s Small Business Fourtune mag...they have put together a feature piece that focuses on how to prevent this very troublesome area for small business owners.
    Thanks for the heads up Kim, and welcome back! Is the article in the October issue? I tried to find it online, and they seem to have full content for back issues, but only some of the content online from the current October issue.
    Michael

• Options
    bjflanaganbjflanagan subscriber Posts: 0
    At the risk of belaboring the obvious, it seems as though we could combine the consulting and mall ideas, and include enviromental expertise among the offerings.
  • Options
    InflatableMadnessInflatableMadness subscriber Posts: 7
    Jeff,  an interesting idea.
    My 2 immediate thoughts for collabarative businesses:

1.  Ebay userid:  startupnation  -  everybody here can find something that can be sold on Ebay - if not, I can teach them how to source products.   If we`ve got 200 members each offering some product for sale, we`ve got a formidible userid and an excellent profit potential.  I can envision a web-based portal that everyone would enter their inventory into, provide pictures and descriptions, etc.  We could manage the id centrally and handle all of the auction management.  We would handle all of the auctions, the seller would ship the items when it sells. This would be AWESOME!  We could have sales contests for sellers within the group, profit would be shared between all the sellers, etc.  I`ve been stewing on this idea for some time and maybe this is the place to get it rolling.
    2.  StartupNation Magazine -  go head to head with Entreprenuer magazine.  Same concept, with the power of all us SUNners creating the articles, selling the ad space, promoting it online, etc.  We`d sell the magazine via the usual channels, and again split the revenue.  We`ve got plenty of people here on SUN to make this one work. 
    Thoughts?
    -Kevin

• Options
    mmichudammichuda subscriber Posts: 4
    I am a security expert and can answer any questions regarding business, IT, espionage, identity theft, social engineering,....SECURITY.What is the current status on this virtual business?
  • Options
    mmichudammichuda subscriber Posts: 4
    Count me in!!! This sounds really cool!!  Obviously we have limited business ideas that would actually work.  Of course we could do something like use a wiki to write a book together.  Something we could all relate to say...."starting a business"  and call in the Business Bible.  Jeff & Rich already wrote a book but this one can go deeper maybe.  Also, if you have an idiot posting false information we can delete it and its logged that the persons data is being deleted so they could be banned.  Google answers has a flawless online system!!!  If one of the researchers posts an answer that the customer is not happy with...seeya!!  They no longer have a job.  With this virtual business there are going to be weak links in our company. There must be a way of measuring and keeping the bar high or this is bound to fail.  Read up on google anwers about it.
    Google Answers has a stringent process for screening Researchers before they`re
    allowed to participate. Each applicant must write an essay explaining why
    he or she wants to take part in the program and successfully answer a number
    of test questions. Once Researchers begin answering live questions, you`re
    encouraged to rate their responses to ensure they continue to provide useful
    information. If an individual`s rating falls below an acceptable level, he
    or she will no longer be allowed to participate as a Researcher.