WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Could We Create a Business Together?

JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1
SUN Community...
Do any of you think it could be possible for us as a community to identify a business idea; find people within the community interested in developing and executing on the business idea; create a business plan together; and launch and run the business? If it`s possible, those that participate could be the owners of the company. It`s a wild thought, but how cool would it be to use the power of our community to go beyond just sharing ideas and expertise. We could actually put our collective capabilities to work, build businesses together, create success together, and share the rewards together...
What do you think????

Jeff

Comments

• stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    What do you think????I think it`s a great idea (and
    not just because I`ve been thinking the same thing for a while).

Jeff, we don`t hear from you often, but when we do it`s worth the wait.
  • ShaunoShauno subscriber Posts: 1
    I actually thought about creating a business around this very idea a few months ago.I can be the software engineer/architect!
  • kns93kns93 subscriber Posts: 0
    It`s ambitious and I love it!  Very out of the box! 
    With an honest effort by all the talent of the SuN community  - It`s destined for greatness! 
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Jeff,
    It is a doable idea - IMHO. Just look at what was done on your brother`s thread about blue jeans (maybe this is where this new idea came from???) - collaborative marketing campaign development.
    I compare it to shareware development. It doesn`t matter if someone is in India or Indiana, anyone can contribute. Have you read Thomas Friedman`s The World is Flat? Some excellent examples on real cases of solving problems virtually (be warned, it`s bigger than War & Peace). What you are suggesting is virtual business development. It is worth at least one stab at it  Go for it!
  • sarahleighmsarahleighm subscriber Posts: 3
    Count me in..Sounds like a wonderful idea
    Cheers
  • ChristinaChristina subscriber Posts: 6
    This sounds like a very interesting idea with potential 
  • rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Intriguing -It`s an idea that definately needs to be explored and I`d love to be a part of it...R-
  • JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1
    Steve....
    I`m excited about this idea as well....
    Let`s see if we can make something happen....
    Jeff
    I see lots of you have responded to this query....
    As I said in my response to Steve...maybe we can make something happen!
    I`ll try to propose a way to get this started and post it here....
    Jeff
  • zmanzman subscriber Posts: 1

It is a doable idea - IMHO.
    I compare it to shareware development. It doesn`t matter if someone is in India or Indiana, anyone can contribute. Have you read Thomas Friedman`s The World is Flat? Some excellent examples on real cases of solving problems virtually (be warned, it`s bigger than War & Peace). What you are suggesting is virtual business development.
    R@ - that`s interesting, my first thought was how this is a "flat world" idea. It is virtual business development - really a virtual "incubator" to use that hyper popular concept from not too long ago. Certainly cuts down on the overhead!zman2006-10-6 19:27:4
  • zmanzman subscriber Posts: 1

I see lots of you have responded to this query....
    As I said in my response to Steve...maybe we can make something happen!
    I`ll try to propose a way to get this started and post it here....
    Jeff

Jeff - I agree that`s it`s a great idea to explore. Certainly no shortage of quality and varied talent here. Plus it`s a chance to break new ground (I think) by essentially creating a virtual incubator.
    I think the real trick will be finding a structure that allows for a free flow of ideas and participation by whoever wants - but also incorporates a decision-making process that will keep things moving and will produce results that will stand up to the marketplace and, if necessary, potential funders.
    Just taking a wild stab here - do you or Rich know where we might be able to find some venture capital at the appropriate time?
    Let`s do it!
    Michael

Hey Everybody....Great comments....and even better enthusiasm! I think this idea has merit, but as has been pointed out, there are logistical challenges. I think we should try to work through them. Let`s test the idea by actually trying to make something happen.
    The first step is to explore business ideas. I think an online business makes the most sense since we will be a virtual company - all operating from each of our own homebase. Maybe an e-commerce company???
    Just to throw something out there....does anybody think there might be merit in creating a branded e-commerce store which specializes in products - software, hardware, etc. - focused on preventing identity theft and ensuring privacy?? I know this is a hot area. For example, take a look at the simple example of what`s happened in the personal paper shredder market. Silly as it sounds...you see lots of new brands, sales are brisk, and the reason is because people don`t want to throw out documents without destroying them first because they are concerned about identity theft and privacy issues. This is an example of a hardware product line which could be offered. And the examples go on and on....
    Just a thought....I`m open to ideas from others, but I have the feeling this could make for a hot business idea.
    I for one am willing to work on the business plan, provide strategic guidance, and be responsible for raising money.
    We need people who can do web development, merchandising, product sourcing, branding, PR and marketing, and of course we need people who could operate the company.
    Thoughts??
    Jeff
    I think Craig poses some interesting and appropriate questions. This is really "blue sky" thinking. I`m not sure there is clear definition or formula to this yet. I just threw up a very general idea in the hope that maybe we can hone it collectively through this forum. And my idea for a branded ecommerce site that would focus on hardware and software products focused on privacy and identity theft protection is nothing more than a seedling of an idea. I`m not sure it`s a good idea at all at this point. But just going on a hunch that this area coupled with the emerging successes we`re now seeing in ecommerce made me think that there might be merit. To be clear, I am open to hearing lots of other ideas before we focus on this one or any other one. Let`s keep exploring. Glad to know there is interest out there and to know that people are really putting some thought into the possibilities as well as the logistical challenges. Thanks Craig and to all commenting....
    Jeff
  • stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    I believe there is incredible potential for many different sorts of
    virtual enterprises within the SUN community. This is just the first,
    but being the first, before we get too far I think it would be
    beneficial to answer some basic questions. These are a few that come to
    mind. Surely there`ll be more:

Is this open to any and all who express an interest?
    If not what is the criteria for inclusion?
    What investment would be required?
    Can equity be earned through investment of time and expertise?
    How is valuation placed on a particular person`s time and expertise?
    What happens when an individuals circumstances change and they cannot or do not wish to be activly involved?
    What is the exit strategy?

No doubt each person comes to something like this with a unique
    perspective. Due to the dispersed locations of the participants I
    expected this business to have an online emphasis. My hope is that it
    would not be just another "me too" sort of online business.

I`d like to see something that is unique, even revolutionary. Given the
    depth of talent available, frankly I`d be disappointed with anything
    less.
  • TinoBunticTinoBuntic subscriber Posts: 0
    This has been tried before. Anybody heard of The Business Experiment? A group of about 800 people joined online to create an online business. Everybody that joined became part owner of the group. It failed. I think one of the biggest reasons for the failure was that out of 800 people, most wern`t pulling their weight. I was one of the 800. I didn`t pull my weight. I, like most people, joined because I was just interested in observing the process. Despite receiving media publicity, The Business Experiment shut down. Too many observers and too few people doing any actual work. I think this type of thing can still work but we would need to learn from the mistakes of The Business Experiment. TinoBuntic2006-10-9 12:15:37