WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Could We Create a Business Together?

Comments

• Options
    ZiplineZipline subscriber Posts: 0
    I am in.  I think with this highly skilled group we have the combined skill set to create something great.
  • Options
    UDesignWePrintUDesignWePrint subscriber Posts: 0
    I am in. Sounds like a good idea. Key is to bring right people/services together.

• Options
    theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    I am down with this, Jeff!It sounds like a great idea... count me in.
  • Options
    BjsEsqBjsEsq subscriber Posts: 0
    One of the best parts of working with entrepreneurs is the enthusiasm
    that shows up.   Since Nevada is a very  business
    friendly state,  I would welcome the opportunity to assist with
    the legal side of this novel venture.

Beverly Salhanick, Esq.
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    One of the best parts of working with entrepreneurs is the enthusiasm
    that shows up.   Since Nevada is a very  business
    friendly state,  I would welcome the opportunity to assist with
    the legal side of this novel venture.

Beverly Salhanick, Esq.

Beverly,

You bring up an interesting point about business friendly states. Could
    you address in a separate thread the pros and cons of locating a
    business entity, especially one that operates exclusively online, in
    certain states or countries?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    StephenCraneStephenCrane subscriber Posts: 0
    I very seriously doubt it would be successful.  The concept is completely contrary to the nature of entrepreneurs (competitive).  At the end of the day who makes the final decision - concensus does NOT work.
  • Options
    theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    I`m not so sure I agree. I find entreprenuers competitive, to be sure. But I`ve met a lot of collaborative entrepreneurs on this board, as well. And when they`re collaborating for some moolah, who knows.(Maybe it`s called collabora-ka-ching.)
  • Options
    shinershiner subscriber Posts: 0
     Hey how about funding my ethanol plant,
    we could all watch it grow, on line
    4 million needed, 65% return

• Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Happy Tuesday to all!
    I have been watching this thread and wracking my brain, but I keep coming around to the same conclusion:
    Whatever direction this Virtual Biz might go, it seems a major
    dilemma to capitalize on all of talents WITHOUT editing the formula
    that makes SUN , well...SUN.
    Money in the mix almost always spoils the batter, and even with the
    most noble of intentions, the bottom line is that we are all here,
    in one way or another, to grow our biz and make that money. OBVIOUSLY,
    we can`t take money out of the equation (DUH), so how to leave the
    breadbox alone, but add a coin slot? Hmmm...

Will keep thinking!Jeff, please correct me if I`m wrong, but
    I believe he intended for this business to be created by members of the
    SUN community perhaps using the infrastructure of SUN to facilitate its
    formation and growth. It is not supposed to be a new way to derive
    additional income from SUN as we know it.

• Options
    BluPantherBluPanther subscriber Posts: 5
    GREAT idea.  I am on board if it ever comes to fruition.  There are so many very positive do-ers on SUN so I see it actively pushed forward here.  How would we share the profit (because there would be profit!)?

• Options

I`m not so sure I agree. I find entreprenuers competitive, to be sure. But I`ve met a lot of collaborative entrepreneurs on this board, as well. And when they`re collaborating for some moolah, who knows.(Maybe it`s called collabora-ka-ching.)

Collabora-ka-ching sounds like a catch phrase to me!
  • Options

Hey Everybody....Great comments....and even better enthusiasm! I think this idea has merit, but as has been pointed out, there are logistical challenges. I think we should try to work through them. Let`s test the idea by actually trying to make something happen.
    The first step is to explore business ideas. I think an online business makes the most sense since we will be a virtual company - all operating from each of our own homebase. Maybe an e-commerce company???
    Just to throw something out there....does anybody think there might be merit in creating a branded e-commerce store which specializes in products - software, hardware, etc. - focused on preventing identity theft and ensuring privacy?? I know this is a hot area. For example, take a look at the simple example of what`s happened in the personal paper shredder market. Silly as it sounds...you see lots of new brands, sales are brisk, and the reason is because people don`t want to throw out documents without destroying them first because they are concerned about identity theft and privacy issues. This is an example of a hardware product line which could be offered. And the examples go on and on....
    Just a thought....I`m open to ideas from others, but I have the feeling this could make for a hot business idea.
    I for one am willing to work on the business plan, provide strategic guidance, and be responsible for raising money.
    We need people who can do web development, merchandising, product sourcing, branding, PR and marketing, and of course we need people who could operate the company.
    Thoughts??
    Jeff

I would be willing to work in the PR/Marketing sphere.  Also think that adding services that specialize in computer information security and linking with companies that offer that in every state (from our StartUp Nation, of course) would be a value added service.  Website security, home computer security, online security seminars, and the list goes on and on!  I have tons of ideas.
  • Options
    This has been tried before. Anybody heard of The Business Experiment? A group of about 800 people joined online to create an online business. Everybody that joined became part owner of the group. It failed. I think one of the biggest reasons for the failure was that out of 800 people, most wern`t pulling their weight. I was one of the 800. I didn`t pull my weight. I, like most people, joined because I was just interested in observing the process. Despite receiving media publicity, The Business Experiment shut down. Too many observers and too few people doing any actual work. I think this type of thing can still work but we would need to learn from the mistakes of The Business Experiment.

I agree.   I am willing to pull my weight and more.  If we were to have everyone who signs on, actually have something to do, and be held accountable (I see people dropping off right away at the thought), it would narrow it down to those who actually work.  Good point.
  • Options
    BurkeBurke subscriber Posts: 0
    I, as everyone else who has responded, think it is a GREAT idea! I am a magazine publisher (CameraArts), and will lend a hand and any part of my mind that can be found.
    Keep me posted!Tim Anderson
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I have been following along with the string of comments, but tell me... How do we actually take action and start? What`s the product or service? What job positions are being sought? How will each person`s job task be tracked? All the same things that have been asked since the beginning.It`s actually quite a difficult undertaking. Of course... if something starts going, count me in. I would love to apply... that is if the tactics are well laid out. No one wants to be part of another failed "experiment."I don`t know if Jeff and Rich have time to baby sit another project. Who is the ships captain?