WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

(Untitled)

Comments

• Options
    lesismorelesismore subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi there:  I am new to this; but not to the business.  But, I got a patent and it only cost me 435 dollars...and I did it myself on line.  I know I have to re do it in 5 years and then in another 5 years...But I have the whole thing from our government and when the person called he said to me: this is your government at work...I laughted.  I also went to QVC and had a simular experience with my judge--but she smiled and asked me in what stores is my product (maybe a trick question--because it can;t be in stores nationwide) and I said I only sell it on my website.  My person was Laura and she smiled--but the only thing she didn;t have was children and my game is for children.  Check it out and tell me what you think of it.  www.lesmess.com lesismore2007-4-1 20:15:4
  • Options
    lesismorelesismore subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi there:

How did you get into Family Circle?
  • Options
    CookieCookie subscriber Posts: 2
    My Chicago QVC judge wanted to know how many gardening tools I`ve sold so far.  I told him it`s over 10,000 & that really set him to writing on his pad!  Whether that`s good or bad I don`t know.  I`m HOPING that he wrote that there`s a real market for this product & it`s ready for wider distribution.  He did want to know where it`s manufactured & I said Illinois.  As others have said, my judge also asked the cost to QVC.
    Cookie
    www.wedgie.biz</A> 
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Leslie, GREAT idea!  Love it!  (Welcome)
    Cookie, that sounds very promising.  I would feel GREAT about my chances if I had your experience w/ the judge. 
  • Options
    ImiImi subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Everyone.
    I went back to the qvc product search with a friend who pitched her fitness product in LA, now that I think about it her judge was smiling all the way thru her presentation. She even asked if she could get on it and try it out. Her judge was adorable. The camera crew came by and video taped both the judge and my friend Karen for the longest time. Another Camera man came over as well and was also video taping her. It was like watching a QVC show. Karen had requested more time with the judge and she got an extra 5 minutes to present.My friend Karen has the Powervibe. Her judge was even familar with the technology that started in Italy. Astonauts when they return home use this technology to rebalance their muscles and increase blood flow. I was happy to get to go back to the qvc product search and feel the excitement all over again. My appointment was at 9:00 am and Karen`s was at 2:00pm.
    Best,Imi
  • Options
    JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8
    My judge was named Lauren. She also had a stiff poker face on.  I`m so glad that I made it to QVC/AMEX back on 3/8/07 because the judge, named Jill was so much more receptive to my idea that day. Maybe because she told me that her coworker (who was left-handed) was just complaining about writing smudges the day before! 
    Even though the QVC/Oprah appointment didn`t go very well, I was happy to have tried.  I was just happy to come home and find some online orders! I found out my product has made it onto the Cool Tools web site at:  http://www.kk.org/cooltools/index.php</A>!
    JeannieJeannie2007-4-2 15:4:22
  • Options

She seemed to like the fact that I had some good press recently (ABC World News, Startup Nation radio, and Family Circle among others).
    Hi Chris,
    May I ask how you got the good press from ABC World News and Family Circle?  That is so COOL!  Please share your secrets!
    Jeannie
  • Options
    Thanks DipLady! I`m glad I went too! I think I would have always wondered "what if"..if I didn`t go. So at least I tried.
    Oh yeah..I forgot to say...that my judge was a bit rude! I caught my judge looking somewhere else while I was presenting!  So..I knew, there was no chance for me at that moment.  Oh well.. you win some and you lose some! Onto my next adventure I say.  Jeannie2007-4-2 14:32:32
  • Options
    KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Jeannie, congrats! ALWAYS GREAT to get press. Here`s a site that we were just on. It`s called 5minutesformoms.com and I think your product would be a good fit for them.
    Check it out!
    n/
    Kellee
  • Options

Hi Jeannie, congrats! ALWAYS GREAT to get press. Here`s a site that we were just on. It`s called 5minutesformoms.com and I think your product would be a good fit for them.
    Check it out!
    n/
    Kellee

Hey Kellee!
    Thanks for the heads up! But it looks like I`ve covered that already!
    It`s great that we are BOTH on that site! My link is in:
    http://www.5minutesformom.com/mom-owned ... ts-family/</A>.
    Jeannie
     Jeannie2007-4-2 15:6:40
  • Options
    KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Jeannie! Have you been to www.whatshotfortots.com</A> ? We are supposed to be on that site any day now.
    It`s good to know we`re thinking in the same direction! Are there any other sites I should be aware of? I really appreciate the heads up!
    Kellee
  • Options
    NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5

Cookie, what time was your appt.? We were in Rosemont presenting on Friday too. Ours was at 11:00 and we got there early at 10:30 and they were ready to see us so we went right in. We were there quite awhile, our interview lasted for almost an hour. I noticed the clock when we were cleaning up and packing stuff up and it was about 11:55. We were the last ones left, they had completed all their morning appointments and all the people had gone to lunch except for the ones at our table. Do you know which judge you had, was his name maybe Kevin? He was doing hardware, home improvements and automotive so I thought maybe you might have met with him. We ended up with about 10 different judges from all different kinds of media at the table trying the samples, it was unreal. Not sure what to make of it at this point, but I think it was a good thing. They asked a ton of questions and said not to change a single thing, leave the packaging and everything exactly as it was, ready to ship, compact and light weight, so, as like everyone else we are anxiously awaiting the 27th.

Hey Dip! I thought we were last...lol Hard to tell because it is/was such a blur. Did you see us? We were kinda hard to miss. Two women with chef hats and hot cookies and an easel? We had a fairly elaborate table too. We too had lots of attention but I think they were probably just hungry. The cookie smell didn`t hurt either...lol
    I appreciated the fact that we had so much time to set up. Since we baked on site we needed that. Like you everyone was gone for lunch when we finished. Except that crowd waiting to talk to the current vendors. We figured we needed to leave on a good note and skipped that part. Plus we had a whole bunch of stuff to break down.

• Options
    Yep we left at about 12:10. We were behind you at the end of the row by the wall and about 3 rows from the back. You would have had to turn around to see us. We were next ot a side door and went out that way. Trying to be ninjas...lol
    I love that I didn`t feel rushed. The attention can be encouraging yet misleading. Like I said before things could change when they take the files back to HQ and have to remember you from a product photo and whatever materials they took from you.
    The nail biting continues...
  • Options

You know what, I must have thought you were some of the judges or helpers that helped carry our stuff to their lunchroom. I thought the only doors on that side of the row of tables lead to where they had their breakroom and lunchroom set up. They had several people help carry all our stuff in so that they could all enjoy it throughout the day so I probably did see you guys down there and didn`t realize it was anyone but a Harpo or QVC person. We thought they had all cleared out, other than that, everyone was gone, to funny .
    So do you remember seeing us? We both had on matching yellow/gold tops with our navy and gold aprons?

No but I could barely recognize my partner I was so sleep deprived... The only one I remember was a little girl in a fairy outfit. And a guy that walked up to our table and tried to take our stuff thinking it was a give away or something. I had to practically chase him to get it back. And this was while we were getting ready to present! I thought I was going to have to tackle his butt. The judges thought it was funny.
  • Options
    Now that I think about it I was in there a while. I was in there long enough to see the 1 pm people start setting up. Did anyone see the lady with the casket? It had windows like a doll house. Can somebody please tell me how that 6 minute pitch looks? 
    Don`t be impressed with the amount of time in our case though, we had a lot of stuff to take down anything after 12:15-ish was breaking down the stuff and running our mouths probably.