WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

(Untitled)

Comments

• Options
    RCTOYSRCTOYS subscriber Posts: 2
    On or about April 27th - so that could really anytime in the next 3 weeks and 2 days!
  • Options
    FEASTerFEASTer subscriber Posts: 0
    In the rules posted they will notifiy the "potential finalists" within 5 days of determination by QVC officials.  I take it that means anytime between now and April 27th. 
    The video shown to attendees left me with the impression that everyone would be notified either way on the 27th, but the rules section doesn`t support that, and it makes sense.  Why get someone on the show potentially to win who can`t produce or has some legal snag not evident in the first screening? 
    I keep nosing around, looking for anyone saying that they have been contacted, and so far, nothing.  Another guess is that the first contacts will be made late this week and into next week.  As soon as ten entries make Oprah and QVC happy, that`s all she wrote. 
    Of course it is possible the rules are written to give them a lot of wiggle room.  The five day thing strikes me as odd, how would we possibly know when the choices are made? 
    And the Oprah show is slated for May but no firm date has been given.  I came away with the impression that this wouldn`t happen until the fall, and the QVC appearance after that by 90 days.  Not the case it seems. 
    It`s hard typing with crossed fingers!
    Cal Morris
    www.lastingweightloss.comFEASTer2007-4-4 15:48:43
  • Options
    DipLady:  You need to put up a post in August to share!
    I would bet that they narrowed down the folders as they went through the day.  They circled numbers at the top and I know that they meant something because I saw one judge ask another if she had made the mark and pointed to the sheet.  So  I would bet that they separated by these marks. 
    Who knows!!  We can guess how this is going to go all we want but won`t know anything unless someone here gets in the next round!
  • Options
    WorkinmomWorkinmom subscriber Posts: 0
    Well, now this is really really testing my memory, but since the discussions are revolving around notification, process, etc., here`s my two cents worth ...Ten years ago I got picked to be on QVC ... it was their "Quest for America`s Best 50 in 50 Tour" of 1997 (don`t think they`ve done it since then).  After a convention center full of applicants very much like the big room with rows and rows of tables we all experienced, I was contacted by QVC (sorry, can`t recall how many days or weeks later) but what I want to share is this ... we were in the `negotiation` stage where forms were signed and prices were committed.  Also part of the process was to send a sample to them for their Quality Assurance screening.  My product (I was the exclusive distributor, not the manufacturer) had to be sent back through QA twice because the corrugated box that held this 38 lb. product didn`t pass the "drop test" until finally it was double boxed.    On the QVC Tour I took last week in PA (the day after the product screening) they also spent time talking about their stringent requirements ... they even have a shaker table that simulates something like 65 hours on a UPS truck.  So ... I was contacted, but then had to pass all their requirements.  It seems it took three or four weeks but was worth it for the thrill factor.  The bummer is that I can`t find the one and only VHS tape of our appearance.  I think my overly-neat former employee tossed it during one of her de-cluttering blitzes.  All I have is a still photo of my then 2 year old and 5 year old daughers looking at Mom on a TV screen so that`s better than nothing I guess.  I love these little smilies!Cheers,Workinmom
  • Options
    DipLady,
    Spooky!  Hope it`s all good for you.  QVC is kind of in its own world, but TV viewership spikes in September.  That is when I would guess they would schedule a featured spot like this one.
    But maybe August is when they get their spike.
    My guess is they don`t look at all 5000 folders.  Whatever grading system they use as we are judged will preen out most of the entries.  The final panel will see only the "5"s.  Kind of like readers screening what gets to the editor. 
    So if 10% are "5"s, that leaves 500 in play.  Still a lot, but manageable. 
    I`ve been thinking about this way too much.
    Spent the afternoon talking with my suppliers.  They are pumped!  So far no snags on a 90 day delivery window.
    Cal Morris
    www.lastingweightloss.com</A>
  • Options
    Cal,I with you (thinking about this way too much!) and I think you`re right on target for the sorting process.  DipLady,I am certain that August will be a great month for you!  I used to be a real skeptic for wacky things, premonitions, etc., BUT lately I`ve been proven wrong.  Good things happen to positive people and and think we`re all positive thinkers.  I recently heard about "The Secret" and have listened to the audio book several times and seen the DVD.  In a nutshell, it`s about the "Law of Attraction" and that "thoughts become things."  Think positive thoughts and you will attract positive results.  I think many people on this board should be thinking about what they`re going to be wearing when they get on Oprah!  And what video background they`ll shoot about the product and person!  Just my thoughts.Cheers again,Workinmom
  • Options
    I didn`t even think about the video background that they would shoot!  RCTOYS2007-4-4 16:55:24
  • Options
    That`s reassuring.  I can`t imagine QVC will demand a seven figure inventory.  Maybe that`s why the winner gets the usual 8 minute pitch spot instead of a longer one. 
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I don`t think Oprah has done this with QVC before.  She did do the Million Dollar Idea Challenge described here:
    0.jhtml
    From what I`ve read, Harpo had over 10,000 product ideas that came in over the transom over the years and they decided to make a show around them.  Oprah`s staffers dug through them until they were down to fifty or so (I`ve seen different numbers in print).  Finally seven made in on the air. 
    I get the feeling that it really buried Oprah`s staff.  In Chicago on the 23rd Oprah`s people were sort of drifting around, chatting with the QVCers, and keeping their roles pretty light.  Another guess, they will get involved to sift through the final choices after QVC decides which ones can deliver the goods. Much more the human interest side that will appeal to Oprah`s viewers.
    This lets QVC and Harpo make the best use of their particular talents.
    Of course I could be dead wrong.   

• Options
    ImiImi subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi
    Seems like from this sentance off the qvc web site that everyone will be contacted one way or another. Sentence from qvc below:
    QVC intends to contact every registrant on or about April 27, 2007 regarding advancement to the next level of the Contest.
    Best,Imi
  • Options
    DipLady,Re: video, there`s nothing specific posted anywhere, but you know how sometimes they`ll do that kind of thing as an intro, especially if there`s an interesting background or how the product is made or came about ... yada yada yada.  Someone I heard speak last year made it as one of "Oprah`s Favorite Things" and she got "the call" that Oprah`s film crew would be coming!  After she picked herself up of the floor, she called everyone she knew to come to her apartment for her first "staff meeting" ... she said they all sat around on the floor in a circle and `talked` business!     She said it was a riot, but all turned out well.  BTW she`s the creator of Spanx.  VERY smart cookie, well grounded (still!) and best of all, still owns 100% of her company.  Real success story.P.S. On my rave of "The Secret" ... forgot to mention Oprah has dedicated two episodes to it already, as has Larry King and Ellen one.  It probably deserves it`s own thread, so I won`t say more here other than it`s a great "think positive" message, you can see many blurbs from it on YouTube or at TheSecret.tv website and even view the DVD once for $4.95 on their site.  (I bought two copies, one to keep; one to loan out.)
  • Options
    BenihanaBenihana subscriber Posts: 1
    Hey guys , i had forgotten one detail, I was filmed and asked some questions by the cameraman ,but again that could mean anything. I believe (from what was said to me) that the people who make it to the next round will  be told in the next 2 weeks. Can`t tell you how I know, but I believe that to be about 95% for sure. 
  • Options
    OMG!  I`m preachin` to the choir here!  Found it ... hope link works if anyone is interested.   http://www.startupnation.com/pages/comm ... _posts.asp ?TID=4295&PN=0&TPN=1I KNEW I liked everyone here!Cheers,Workinmom
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Yep, anyone interested in getting that one started up again go to the thread entitled  So... who is into "The Secret" and the Law of attraction? by Entrepeneurd.  GREAT post!
  • Options
    Maybe this is a better interpretation.  The five day thing is protection for QVC in the event they can`t reach a potential finalist on or around April 27th.  During the orientation they really leaned on the late April date for notification.  Guess we`ll know when we know. 
    Good luck to us all!