WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

(Untitled)

Comments

• GirlNextDoorGirlNextDoor subscriber Posts: 1
    "My judge had a major poker face"
    [/QUOTE] (quote from Dippy Chick)

Mine did too!
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Daniella and this is my first time here.  I was at the QVC/Oprah event yesterday in Philly too and I was expecting to see a really great reaction from my judge but she had a poker face on too.  I wouldn`t feel so bad if I didn`t see others around me with judges who had more emotion to share with their presenters.  She certainly was not unprofessional, and it was still fun to present.  I just wish she had a big smile on her face at some point...or said something like...great idea...or SOME kind of feedback.
    Also, I didn`t have a camera come to me...a few others did though.  I`d think that would be a bad thing but some of the places I saw these cameras go were to products that I don`t think were good choices for QVC/Oprah, so I`m confused.
    As for the number thing, I believe the judges had a scale from 1 to 5 with the, with 5 being "the best".
    Would you fellow inventors advise me to get a temporary patent (good for one year and ALOT cheaper) or a regular patent which is about five thousand dollars?
    Nice to be here with all of you.
    By they way...love the idea of grill charms..and dippy chick...I am gettin` on your website at some point and getting some of those dips!!!  Love the names of them too.  If you have any advice (re: patents, copyrights, manufacturing, etc.) as I am at the very beginning stages of my business, please let me know.
  • OprahorBustOprahorBust subscriber Posts: 0
    I had a great time at the philly QVC.  It was fun to see all the crazy inventions.  Was anyone asked any questions by the judges?  If so, what were they.  I am so curious I can`t wait to hear from them.

ahhhhhhh
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Hello Daniella and welcome to the board!  Yes, I would advise getting a provisional first in many cases.  I`d love to hear more about where you are in the process, who your target market is, what your market research has come up with etc... in order to give you a my true opinion.   I have tons of advice on being an inventor mom and the steps I took... (not sure if any of them are right, but I have lots of advice!)  Maybe start a new thread and ask away!  (you can always PM me too)  This is so exciting with so many of us in the running or QVC.   SOMEONE has got to make it through to the next phase.  I`m sure the next phase is QA.  QVC will not accept any product that doesn`t pass their intense QA procedures for both product and packaging.  (Packaging they will work with you on, but the product itself must pass)  Since they didn`t even look at any packaging, I think there are still some more hoops to jump through.  In the words of my little Madison... so how many "sleeps" until April 27th??!!! AHHHHHGGGGGrillCharmer2007-3-30 16:6:58
  • ImiImi subscriber Posts: 0
    The only problem I see with patent`s is the cost. Especially when someone can tweek a product by I believe a margin of 10% and clam it as there own. I also think patent`s are great if your going to license your product to a manufacture and clam a rolalty. Having a patent means that if you do go to court because someone has copied your idea, it will cost you around $200,000 or more to fight it. Not many of us have $200,000 or more to do this. If it`s mechanical or has moving parts then a utility patent. A provisional is a great way to go so you can get out there and try and license your invention.
    Best,Imi
    Hi OprahorBust  and all.
    Yes the judge I had asked me how many products can I produce in 90 days and what would my wholesale cost be to them. If anyone was asked anything else please post and to my curiousity.
    Best,Imi

• RCTOYSRCTOYS subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m curious how many people are manufacturing themselves, by someone else in the states or overseas. 
    Hi Imi, Welcome!  I was not asked about wholesale price, I was asked about retail and no, no questions about how soon the product could be ready.  Sounds like a good sign though!  You are correct, a patent isn`t the end-all-be-all of protection by any means, but it`s "something"  Along w/ my product liablity insurance, I am also getting patent protection insurance.  In many cases first one to market wins, so I`m not sure there is a right answer, just a lot of opinions.
    Dear Imi,  My judge asked me those questions also.  She also asked me if I would be able to make it to Chicago early summer.  But I think I also heard another judge say that to another contestant so I am sure it was pretty common.
    Hi GrillCharmer  and all.
    Thank you for the welcome to the board.
    Product liability Insurance as I understand it. Once you get it it`s a fee of 2,500.00 and up per year, depending on the product and it`s something you can`t just stop if you go out of business I believe unless your a corporation because the products are still in the marketplace and in people`s home`s. I`d like to know if this is correct. I was told this by Bob Circosta who was one of the first to be on QVC and Home Shopping. Please reply if you know otherwise.
    Best,Imi
  • RCTOYSRCTOYS subscriber Posts: 2
    OprahorBust - what kind of product did you present?  That`s possibility exciting.  I can`t wait to see who makes it!
    Hi All,  I presented a product for the home that helps busy people keep their house and lives more organized. I created it just for this contest a couple of weeks ago so it was quite the prototype.
    Hey RC!  Overseas
    Mine is not that much, but depending on the product it can be very expensive especially when dealing w/ childrens items.  I will ask him about the circumstances by which the policy can be cancelled but I can`t imagine being the "manufacturer" of a product w/o it.  Some retailers require a minimum of $1 million per occ. w/ $2 mil. ag.   I`m not sure how to get around it.  I`m all ears because goodness knows I`m looking for a way to save a buck!
    "First one to market wins" was just me kidding around, sorry   What I meant by that was should you choose the no patent option, "first one to market wins" not the first one to market gets the patent.  Sorry!!  Yes you are most certainly correct, in a patent dispute, first to invent wins.  Sorry for the confusion!
    Hi GrillCharmer
    Can you say how much liabilty insurance is for you per year as an example and where to get it? Would really appreciate it.
    Best,Imi
    Under $2000 a year and I just went to a few websites that offer a bunch of quotes like www.2insure4less.com</A> and actually found a local guy through one of those. (there were a bunch I went through, so I can`t remember exactly which one)  It worked out well for me, so far.