WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

(Untitled)

Comments

• Options
    RCTOYSRCTOYS subscriber Posts: 2
    25 Sleeps Left.....I would imagine that we will all be sitting at our computers until we get that email!!!  This board is going to be buzzing on the 27th.  I`m just happy that we are going to go on Spring Break next week so that eats up some of the time!
  • Options
    NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5

25 Sleeps Left.....I would imagine that we will all be sitting at our computers until we get that email!!!  This board is going to be buzzing on the 27th.  I`m just happy that we are going to go on Spring Break next week so that eats up some of the time!

Hmmm 25 sleeps left. That is a good way to think about it. If only I could sleep...

• Options
    JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8

Hey Jeannie! Have you been to www.whatshotfortots.com</A> ? We are supposed to be on that site any day now.
    It`s good to know we`re thinking in the same direction! Are there any other sites I should be aware of? I really appreciate the heads up!
    Kellee

Hey Kellee,
    No, I haven`t gone to whatshotfortots.com.  It may not be suitable for me since my product is not for tots.  But I`ll submit it anyway.  Thanks for the tip!
    The only other site I have on mind is www.inventorspot.com</A>.  I haven`t submitted to much yet.  The 5minutesformom was basically the other one I had submitted to - which you hit it right on the head!
    Today, I learned of these other sites that may be good so you may want to check those out too.  I haven`t had the chance yet. They are:
    StyleHive.com, ThisNext.com, Kaboodle.com and Wists.com.
    Jeannie

• Options

Hey Jeannie! Have you been to www.whatshotfortots.com</A> ? We are supposed to be on that site any day now.
    It`s good to know we`re thinking in the same direction! Are there any other sites I should be aware of? I really appreciate the heads up!
    Kellee

Here`s another site http://www.babble.com/index.aspx</A>
    Babble is an online magazine.  I met them at the Toy Fair.   
    The one thing about press....they need the stories as much as you need your story out there.  You just need to make yourself interesting enough (or have an interesting enough product) to get their attention.  Keep knocking on the doors - it might take more than once.  I was told that you need to keep at it.  Recently I read that they prefer emails.  I also know they will probably not return a phone call so you need to continue to call until they answer if you`d like to actually talk to them.   Oh, and it`s best to target them when you know they are looking for stories that fit what you have.  For instance, if it`s a toy, rally press around December - February, (NYC Toy Fair is in February), etc.  You can often find the editorial calendar online.  They usually work 3-4 months ahead of press time.
    Hope that helps.
  • Options
    KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Jeannie!
    Thank you so much for the sites! I`ll check them out!I truly appreciate your help!
    We were also on www.childrensmarket.org</A>
    Kellee
  • Options
    KelleeKellee subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi RCTOYS!
    Thanks so much for the information. It is very helpful.I will continue to send out press releases.
    Kellee
  • Options
    lesismorelesismore subscriber Posts: 0
    No, I do not have it in stores yet---How would I go about doing that?  I am sending it to TV shows and newspapers to do an article on it.  If you know anyone who would be interested  in doing a story the game...please let me know...thanks!
  • Options
    NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5
    Yay!!! Only 24 more sleeps!
  • Options
    No, I do not have it in stores yet---How would I go about doing that?  I am sending it to TV shows and newspapers to do an article on it.  If you know anyone who would be interested  in doing a story the game...please let me know...thanks!
    TRADESHOWS!
    or for the toys/games out there - FAO audtions  http://www.fao.com/custsvc/custsvc.jsp?sectionId=234</A>
  • Options
    FEASTerFEASTer subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Everyone,
    My wife and I presented at the March 23rd session.  Our experience was positive, but a couple of things I noted that no one else has mentioned. 
    I`d say at least 15% of the entries were clearly commerical products and the presenters were just dealers or distributers.  A lady at the end of our row with one such product lasted less than a minute with her judge.
    I also noticed a few who freaked out and left without presenting. 
    One last thing, from what I read on the QVC website, potential finalists will be contacted before April 27 and have to submit legal proof to back up their applications.  Surely many finalists won`t be able to pass muster, and then QVC will keep going until they have ten finalists or give up.
    The survivors will appear on a show in May, giving the winner the summer to get enough product together. 
    One scary thought, our cost is about $20 a unit.  If QVC requires 100,000 units that`s $2M!!!!  That will sure drain the piggy bank. 
    This is a great discussion, thanks to everyone for sharing, and good luck to everyone! 
    Cal Morris
    www.lastingweightloss.com</A>
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Thank you for your input and welcome to the board Cal!  I agree, there were some products I just could not see making it to Oprah.  The QVC rep I taked to while standing in line said that they will have seen 5000 products by the end of day 3 in PA. This is so fun!
  • Options
    WorkinmomWorkinmom subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi all !  Been on the sidelines here enjoying all the comments and replies.  Made it to PA, loved the experience (and even went back the next day for the QVC tour --- very cool).  Buyer (Kim) asked quite a few questions ... final one was "What do you think are the top three benefits of your product?"  She also had lots to write, but it was awkward to be showing and talking to someone who wasn`t really looking.  Guess lots of you experienced that.  She had MUCH more personality than the office assistant I got in San Francisco a year ago (I commented on that early on in this thread), however, she did her part to not give me any `false` sense of approval.  I showed two of my products, my beverage holder which she seemed to like and the beach towel bag with secret pocket for valuables.  This time I had the foresight to suggest the wine glass holder/cup caddies be sold in SETS so she did ask pricing questions as if they were a set of 6.  Not as much interest in my beach bag maybe because I saw several other versions of beach chair covers (although they all have their differences).The real kicker was that I drove up from VA a night early just to focus and create my "sales sheet" ... did it (and it was killer good, too!) but like a moron, I had so much on my mind I LEFT it in my hotel room.  Didn`t realize it until I was in the third line approaching the set up tables.  Oh well!  If it`s meant to be, it will  happen!Re: initial wholesale order ... my wholesale order 10 years ago was for $10,000 and I was told in S.F. that was the amount, but it may have changed or could very well be higher for certain price-points or because it has the Oprah connection p.r. Sorry I`ve gone on so long.  Good luck to everybody!!!  Love your websites, too and working on my Marketplace, etc. etc.P.S.  Holy cow, can`t believe there are three of us Leslie`s here!  I`ll just be Workinmom!
  • Options
    Hey Workinmom!  So many Leslie`s!! Too funny!!!  Must be something about the name that just oozes success...
  • Options
    So do you really think they are going to have it narrowed down to 10 by April 27th??  That will be crazy!  And the show is definitely set for May?   I really was hoping the show would air in the fall. 
    So if anyone gets a call before the 27th - are they going to share??
  • Options