WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

(Untitled)

Comments

• Options
    NetmomNetmom subscriber Posts: 5
    Just to throw more speculation in the mix... The Oprah season wraps in May so they will definately have to notify, contact, prep, and shoot befor the season wraps. That is why I think the winners will hear relatively soon so they can get all of their due dilligence done and still have time to tape.
  • Options
    FEASTerFEASTer subscriber Posts: 0
    Just to throw more speculation in the mix... The Oprah season wraps in May so they will definately have to notify, contact, prep, and shoot befor the season wraps. That is why I think the winners will hear relatively soon so they can get all of their due dilligence done and still have time to tape.
    That really makes the most sense.  Benihana heard that the winners will hear in "2 weeks", using the last show as a starting point, that`s the middle of April.  Makes sense to pool the top candidates from all of the shows. 
    Oh well.
  • Options
    lesismorelesismore subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Cece, what kind of questions did they ask you.  I was asked three questions:  What is your product? What stores do you sell it in? (She was very suprised it wasn`t in stores) How much do you sell it for?
    The one thing about our person, Laura was, she got the product!  
  • Options
    SolvedSolved subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Everyone,
    I recently joined SuN & appreciate all of your entries in reference to the Oprah/QVC thing.  I also presented (in LA) & had a wonderful experience!  I do have a feeling  I would have already heard if I was going to the next level   But who knows, right?
    Anyways, did any of you Mothers out there submit other ideas to the Good Morning America Mother`s of Invention search?  Just curious..this was a totally different deal, they are looking to own the patent rights to an "idea" and give the winner a % of the profits.  Anyone?
  • Options
    Hi and welcome Solved!
    Try not to get discouraged if you haven`t heard yet. I don`t think anyone has. Between all of the genius I have seen on SuN someone from here was bound to have been selected and certainly would have told by now. I have it on pretty good authority that they are still processing everything and that we should not expect to hear anytime soon. They think they will need pretty close to the 27-ish or at least next week...
    Nope I didn`t submit to GMA I kind of wish I had. Did you?

• Options
    FEASTerFEASTer subscriber Posts: 0

Anyways, did any of you Mothers out there submit other ideas to the Good Morning America Mother`s of Invention search?  Just curious..this was a totally different deal, they are looking to own the patent rights to an "idea" and give the winner a % of the profits.  Anyone?

Hi Solved! 
    I`m new too. 
    We presented in Chicago.  My wife is the inventor, I get to tag along mostly to carry the boxes.  We saw the Good Morning America contest only after the fact.  There is no way she would give up FEASTers for a tiny slice.  She worked far too long and hard to give it away like that.
    That scenerio might be attractive if the idea was going cost millions to develop and get to market and the inventing Mom would never get backing any other way.
    The Good Morning America contest sounds more like a heavy handed venture capital deal.  I`ve seen some very good products pulled away from the inventors for a handful of change.  Either we believe in our dreams or we do not. 
    Good luck!
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Welcome Solved!  21 more sleeps till the 27th!  No, I did not submit to GMA either, as I got the same impression.  I didn`t want anyone owning anything of mine but me
  • Options
    Ok so Leslie you too are counting your sleeps? lol that is too funny...
  • Options
    SolvedSolved subscriber Posts: 0
    Thank you for all of the warm welcomes~
    I totally agree with all of you in reference to giving "it" up, especially if you are already up & running.  I actually submitted an entirely different product "idea" for the GMA contest.  We mocked up a prototype & filmed the DVD.  This is a TOTALLY different arena then the Oprah thing. It was perfect for our other idea that we did not want to take to market ourselves..too much headache.
    We would NEVER give up our patent rights to the product (the Kart Katcher) we presented to QVC/Oprah!  No way!
    Good to be here!  I applaud the support you all are giving each other.
  • Options
    Yep, thanks to my 4 year old daughter, I can now only count "sleeps".  Days mean nothing to me
  • Options
    dianadiana subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi everyone
     I presented in Philly and had a very receptive judge. He commented on how QVC doesn`t have anything like it. So i have high hopes. He also asked the basic questions, what is QVC`s cost and to tell him 3 reasons why this product will sell. We answered and he wrote notes. I was a little upset to get a male judge since scrapbookers are mostly women.
    Good luck to everyone!!!!
  • Options
    Yay!!! Only 16 sleeps to go... Hey FEASTer, what is festers?
  • Options
    justjoyjustjoy subscriber Posts: 0
    I am so excited to be here. I joined in January, but I got really busy so this is the one of the first opportunities to post. Hi dippy chick, I wish I knew you were going to be at Oprah/QVC, I was there the same day! My experience was much like the two other times I presented to QVC. Exciting! The energy of events like that are amazing.Why did I try a third time, well, maybe threes a charm. But truthfully it was because it was an Oprah event, I think my product totally speaks to her audience and is very timely for her "This is the Year" theme she has going. It`s positive, proactive and pretty. My only concern would be, the process. My challenge in the past has been my price point. Higher than most of my competition, but a totally unique and effective approach to getting organized. The fact that it is full color, completely cohesive, and manufactured in the US on environmentally responsible paper doesn`t seem to be a big selling point to mass retail. But I know a growing number of greenies out there will appreciate my efforts. I don`t feel like I am selling a filing system or household notebook. I am selling a philosophy. Every time I presented I got great feedback and the same comment, "I need this." Isn`t that a good reason to give JOYS a shot on the mass market?To all that presented, I wish you the best! I am looking forward to being part of this community.
  • Options
    Hello Cathy!  Great product!  Yes, Chris and I would have loved to hook up with more people.  We didn`t realize SO MANY of us SuNnies were in PA.  We could have taken over The Melting Pot!  As it is, I think we horrified the waiter and there was just 3 of us  Okay... next year, next product search, QVC headquarters, we`ll have our own convention!
  • Options
    justjoyjustjoy subscriber Posts: 0
    Cece, I have no insider insights. But if I had to venture a guess, it would be that they were helping Oprah weed through the thousands of hopefuls. I can only imagine the amount of work and manpower required to pull off such an event and I can only hope they considered Oprahs audience and her current show topics when making their recommendations.Mmm, Melting Pot, next time, but hopefully it will be because we are meeting with QVC to finalize our products for air time!