WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Okay, Momprenuers, tell me how you do it

Comments

• Options
    TheBackupManTheBackupMan subscriber Posts: 0
    Pagejames -

You have time to make a list of priorities?  Geez!  And I thought I was busy! LOL!
  • Options
    pagejamespagejames subscriber Posts: 1
    BackupMan,
    Yeah, I learned some time ago in college that sleep is for the living ...
    I just sometimes feel like I get spread a little thin between everything and have to take a step back and TRY to simplify my life a little.  I guess that`s why the whole concept of "systems" is so important.
  • Options
    vegsoyladyvegsoylady subscriber Posts: 0
    If you don`t prioritize your time, how do you find time to get these things done? Procrastination....hmmmm...been there and done that and it doesn`t feel too good when it comes to the end of the day and you`ve discovered you did nothing that was suppose to be done.
    I have learned that the time the each day brings is still not enough time.....and I am somewhat organized today. I am still learning the importance of this concept of making lists and following through with them as well as being accountable for your actions throughout the day.
    I suppose I have slacked too much in my earlier life and now I am trying to catch up on it....I could only wish that I could turn back time and straighten the past up for my future.
    Theresa
  • Options
    pagejamespagejames subscriber Posts: 1
    Theresa,
    You don`t need to turn back time.  I know it sounds cliche, but all we have is today.  You can`t go back to the past, but it`s never too late to start making improvements.
    Here`s a thought, instead of making goals, make action plans.  Break down you goals into specific things that need to be done daily, weekly, even monthly.  That way, you know that to accomplish your goals, every day you need to do x, y, and z.  Set them up as action quotas - ie.  if you wanted to lose weight, instead of setting a goal weight, set an action quota of I will work out for half-an-hour every day. 
    And remember, that you either did it or you didn`t.  Everything you do either moves you towards your desires or away from them.  There is no almost and there is no try.
    I wish you good fortune.
  • Options
    vegsoyladyvegsoylady subscriber Posts: 0

Love it!
     Thank you! I am working small and moving to the big! Just the steps that are needed! The steps that I didn`t step earlier.
     Yes...I do realize that I can not turn time backwards, I can only go forward! This was a figure of speach....Pay it forward as well! Leave the `ol stuff in the past.
    Thank you for the "Good Fortunes" not good luck by the way!Theresa
    Co

• Options
    smeedoosmeedoo subscriber Posts: 1
    Glad to know that I am not the only one up at 1:00 a.m. working on my business.   My wife and I have been working on a solution to help her start her own business.  She is a mother of three that homeschools.  There have been a couple of books published recently, "Rich Woman" and "The Feminine Mistake", which has some valid points about wives/mothers relying too much on the husband for ensuring financial care in the future.  While we know that returning to the workforce isn`t the right option, becoming a mompreneur is.  It will allow us to maintain the family integrity and provide her with the assurance that her future is secure.
  • Options
    wifsterwifster subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi there!I`m glad I found this group and that I`m not the only one who`s having problems juggling everything.  My daughter is only 10 1/2 months old, so keeping her entertained is quite the challenge while I`m working on starting two businesses.
  • Options
    WeLivLoudWeLivLoud subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi there

I have been working from home for years. Like someone told me, you must first begin with a plan of action and take the steps to increase your business support.  You can only do one thing at a time so take those items that need special attention and handle those first, than go to the next action item.  I know how you feel.  I have a 15month old little girl and a 10 year old so trust me I understand but take a deep breath and do what you can...  
  • Options
    LisaOLisaO subscriber Posts: 2
    I`ve also had 3 different businesses since my first child was born 8 years ago.  When I ran my gift basket biz, it was purely a hobby that generated some extra cash.  I didn`t rely on it, and still worked 60 hours a week with a baby.  Then, I started Horse*itz as a full time business and it was much more important because it was a needed income source.  I had 3 kids when I started Horse*itz, and it became obvious right away that I needed help.  I simply could not keep up with orders, production and all the other things that go with a business, by myself, with 3 kids running around.   

While I still do Horse*itZ production mostly as a way of creating products for craft shows this summer, I have now started Creative Writing Studios which is much more time intensive.  It requires a good deal of planning for my clients, writing and re-writing, and writing again!  Outsourcing is a must for me to so this business, and so far it`s going really well!

I moved my 4 year old DD from a 4 hour a week preschool to one that is everyday for 5 hours.  And, the baby goes to daycare from 8-4 on Tuesdays so I have ALL day while my older 2 are in school ( my 4 year old goes to the same daycare in the morning, and school in the afternoon).  My 8 y/o is in second grade and gone all day.

I will also be adding a proofreader to help me polish my longer projects for clients, so I can keep moving forward.

I`ve also swapped with another parent and we go back and forth of taking our boys to boy scouts.  DH and I swap on the other activities, and he`s agreed to do housework here and there to help out ( he`s a neat freak and works 65 hours a week).  In the future, I may have someone come and clean once a week ( do the scrubbing I just don`t have time to do).

I also changed how I manage my day.  I used to work from 8pm-2 am and sleep a bit, get back up at 6 am to work.  I now go to bed at a decent time and get up at 3:30 and work until 6:30 when the kids get up.

It`s really such trial and error!  Sorry to be long winded, but I can also totally related to this thread!

Don`t let the pressures stop you though!  Just keep moving forward as fast as you can manage.  Even if it`s a slow pace, it still means that you`re moving!

Lisa

www.creativewritingstudios.com

LisaO12/17/2007 9:39 AM
  • Options
    powerteamgreenpowerteamgreen subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey,
    One Idea I have formulated is to ask my kids to help me. A true home based business that works, incorporates your lifestyle and including the household.
    My kids can cover for me even on the phone in emergencies.
    What a great learning experience for your kids to begin learning business and people skills.

With my multiple streams of income it can take all the hands on the deck.

Kathy
    powerteamgreen

www.powerteamgreen.net

www.u1stfinancial.net/830249

www.ptgcruise.globalcruisecard.com

"Are we there yet?"

• Options
    mrscplus9mrscplus9 subscriber Posts: 0
    I completely understand what you are going through. I have spent two years developing my business plan, stocking up my supplies, developing my inventory etc. So now I have my website and have started to stock my inventory and develop more patterns for my clothes that fit dolls and stuffed animals like build a bear, and I am still scared to death of doing something wrong.

My girls are in elementary and middle school but between their homework and activities I feel like I too have to squeeze bits and pieces of time to get everything done. My husband and I`s solution was one set day where everyone else takes care of everything. The cooking, the running around, dishes etc. I am able to get more done in that one day than the rest of week due to not starting and stopping.
    Best of luck,
    Diane
  • Options
    saltydiannesaltydianne subscriber Posts: 3
    You nailed it Diane and Shelley-
    I finally realized (after 1 year of getting my buz off the ground) that I need uninterrupted time.  LONG periods of uninterrupted time.   We have not figured out that one yet, but at least I know what I need to get more done.  
    And thinking of my business venture as an experiment, as far as my initial designs and marketing etc. so true.  I have lots more invention ideas and this is just the 1st.  I am trying not to be so hard on myself and celebrate all of the TO DONE list items for this past year.
    thank you ladies.

• Options
    rookapsrookaps subscriber Posts: 10
    It is indeed difficult to find needed quiet time, especially since my kids are also home every day as they are schooling online.
    I`m not suggesting this for anyone else, but I have found that basically working a self imposed `3rd shift` works pretty well for me.  I work most nights until about 3 a.m.  I have come to savor those late evening hours when the house is sooooo quiet.
    My kids are a little older so they can get themselve going online in the mornings while I catch a few extra zzzzzzzzzzzzzz`s in the morning.
    Being a mommypreneur is not an easy gig, but it is so well worth it!
     rookaps2008-1-21 6:11:9
  • Options
    Professor2020Professor2020 subscriber Posts: 0
    Start off with the right business is half the battle.  Start a business where eventually  the majority of the workload could be taken over by other people.  That`s why I love social networks.  You pick a subject that you and lots of other people are passionate about and you create a social community around it.  Then have people join.  Once you have momentum you can get sponsors, advertisers and sell your products/services.  Low cost and no costs that kill most businesses like inventory, rent, utilites etc...
    Like I said, the too good to be true "no risk.  lots of money" scams are exactly that.  Social networks are not no risk and no work yet with a lot less money and time you will have a good passive income producer to something that could replace everyone`s job in your family.
  • Options
    PrimoSitesPrimoSites subscriber Posts: 0
    Quiet time is a must!  I too, know what that feels like! My 12 yr old is home schooled.

I get up early and stay up late.

I get tired. When I have more new clients than time, I get overwhelmed. In those moments I pray for slow times.

Over all I would not trade this life (I have now) for anything in my past. I do have more time to do what I want. I use to work two jobs and I missed so much because my schedule was dictated to me.

Now I can say "I will have to schedule that at another time. I already have something scheduled." No one knows when those times are not another client.  I just make an appointment to be there for my son or my other two grown children. I am in control of my schedule and for me that is worth early mornings and late nights.

I would tell any mom who wanted to be a mommypreneur "You go girl!" The benefits are worth it. Hard work, Yes. But most of us work hard and juggle life working for someone else. Get as organized as possible and never give up!