WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Could We Create a Business Together?

Comments

• Options
    NYC696NYC696 subscriber Posts: 0
    To give you an idea of how receptive the market is for high quality
    gluten free food, here`s an e-mail I just received tonight. Feedback
    like this makes me happy to be in business producing a product people
    need, want and appreciate.

Steve, I really like your ideas and your presentation of them... but I admit to being puzzled... it sounds to me as though you are proposing to create a business that would be a competitor of yours. Am I missing something? (You`re ready to retire anyway, maybe?)

Steven
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Steve, I really like your ideas and your presentation of
    them... but I admit to being puzzled... it sounds to me as though you
    are proposing to create a business that would be a competitor of yours.
    Am I missing something? (You`re ready to retire anyway, maybe?)

Steven It`s not at all uncommon for companies with surplus
    capacity to manufacture products for "a competitor." It`s called
    private label manufacturing.

Think of it this way. I`m paying for my facility 24/7. Every hour it`s
    idle is costing me money. Every hour it`s working profitably is making
    me money. Doesn`t matter who`s product I`m making.

I`m not about to retire, at least not from the baking business. I`m
    just getting started. Actually this Friday is my last day full-time at
    my day job. Monday is the day I seriously get down to business.
    Everything up till now has been a proof of concept.
  • Options
    Oh my dear Steve, there it is again: Glutton
    Free!  maybe the universe is trying to tell us something here...a
    new name? Glutton Free? No guilt! No glut! No gluten! Hee heeIf we choose this business the first task has to be teaching everyone involved how to spell and pronounce gluten.

Repeat after me... glue-ten.
  • Options

I`m not about to retire, at least not from the baking business. I`m
    just getting started. Actually this Friday is my last day full-time at
    my day job. Monday is the day I seriously get down to business.
    Everything up till now has been a proof of concept.

Way cool! Okay, gang, virtual launch party for Steve this Friday. Everyone`s responsible for getting their own party-hat, noise-makers, and champagne to celebrate. (we`ll need someone to lead us in a chorus of For He`s A Jolly Good Fellow"....)
  • Options
    rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Steve -That`s totally AWESOME!!!  Congrats!R-
  • Options
    Thanks!

Every morning this week my wife sends me off with "this is your last
    Monday", "this is your last Tuesday", etc. I think she`s as excited
    about getting her weekends back as anything.
  • Options
    247Nurses247Nurses subscriber Posts: 1
    I think it`s great idea.. Count me in.. I need someone to work with me and pitch some ideas which would be helpful. Where do I find the SuN Forums?
  • Options
    CreativeGalCreativeGal subscriber Posts: 2
    Hey Gang,
    I`ve been out of pocket the last few days and it`s great to see all the discussions taking place.  For now, I`m fairly open to all the discussed ideas.  I am currently doing my own homework and research on the side and will share with the group what I find very soon.
    Congrats Glutten Man..oops Gluten Man!!
    Welcome to all the new members!!
    Creative Gal

• Options
    Please visit:
    The Latest Scoop
    Now that we have chosen our idea(s), it`s time to get down to work.  (OK, Mighty Might deserves her much needed sleep as she`s been working very hard to bring us to where we are now).  
    But after everyone is well rested and ready to get down to business,  it`s important for those of us interested in research, processes, team building, and so on, to start heading in that direction. 
    I`ve started The Latest Scoop thread as a place for sharing info on what works, lessons learned from others, and a place to see what else is going on in Community-Based Business.   Our biggest question right now is:  Can We Really Create A Business Together? 
    Let`s look at how the process works and how we can guarantee its success.
    CG
    The Latest Scoop: ?TID=2896&PN=1&TPN=1
  • Options
    Joel and SuN:
    Thank you so much for giving us our own heading!  It definitely makes things easier for discussing this topic.
    Have a great weekend!
    CG
  • Options
    Participants
    Please check out The Latest Scoop as I have copied the list Frndchps started (it had gotten lost in the shuffle).  I`m also doing a side project to help build teams so that everyone gets an opportunity to offer their participation when the real work begins.
    ?TID=2896&PN=1&TPN=1
    CG
  • Options

The top 3 idea leaders are gathering their teams to shape their ideas for presentation to Jeff. 
    I vaguely remember hearing this mentioned on your podcast.  Can you elaborate?  Will Jeff "choose" a project to back?  I`m not meaning to jump the gun here, but would like clarification.  I may have missed something somewhere.
  • Options
    From my perspective, I`m driving for an end-result that does not require Jeff`s participation. Either we`ll be able to put together a credible business plan or we won`t. If the plan depends on being "rewarded" by SuN ... tell me now and I`ll pass.

Steven
  • Options
    247Nurses247Nurses subscriber Posts: 1
    I have same problem, so I would like to particpate as well, because I will need some advisements and so forth. If you have an answer for that, please post it so I will know what to do next. Thanks
  • Options
    rexiedexierexiedexie subscriber Posts: 97 Silver Level Member
    Michael T......  My View on your post
    (When the question was first possed
    Could We Create a Business Together?
    nearly one hundred people said they were interested in participating within such a program.  I do not see 100 people giving input towards the development of the program. )   Michael I think everyone is still interested but are holding back to watch the program evolve. This is good as too many posts would make this thread too hard to read and follow, also some members have limited time.
    (What am I missing here?)   Nothing yet; this is exciting.
    (What are we doing wrong??) Nothing wrong yet the process is evolving.
    (These are obvious signs of something not being the best they could be and if we want to develop a successful business/es we need to be able to identify and address such  potential problems.) Most all problems are being identified and looked at by individual members and will be addressed later .
    (Either the programs aren`t being constructed properly or the process is incorrect,)  Michael the process is still evolving, a lot of information is not being posted for security reasons and to save confusion.
    (or people made it sound like they were willing to offer a commitment  without actually being interested)  I believe members will step forward to take on rolls as the direction becomes clearer to them.
    (or they were thinking  they were going to be participating within a program in which a successful business was going to be actively participating, SuN.)
    Sun are too involved in their own business and site but will help if they can.
    (or... or... or...
    can someone tell me why they said they were interested but are not participating within the process at all.and this is being addressed to about 80-90 people.) This was answered above, if we build it and request their support, they will come. 
    (IMHO `we have a problem here Houston`  and I feel it should be addressed, if for no other reson  the construction of the business itself, How people participate and the like need to be addressed.) This is a new adventure and a strange process I.E. kind of like a reverse natural disaster... Someone will step forward and take control and type of like a Dictator/Managing director will persuade people to comply and get their part of the job done. Money/ Profits will make people do what they need to do, regardless of the business model. 
    (Am I the only one that sees this or is the attitude that we will make it and they will come.  If this is the case  no problem but the problem with that is I didn`t even see that discussion and decision being made) I think many key members a astutely aware of how this is evolving and can see light at the end of the tunnel....Yes we will make it and they will come.
    (Somebody help me understand ) Michael hope this helps.
    (Michael T)  Michael Clayton (rexiedexie)