WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Content Is NOT King!

Comments

• Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I just like seeing the icons.    

Yeah, I like playing around with them too.

David Jackson
  • Options
    MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    There`s an old phrase, "Sometimes, it`s not what you say, but how you say it."
    Content is what you have to say. Maybe conversation is the delivery? If that`s the case, sometimes the content can take a back seat to the conversation. There are many cases of people being won over with clever conversation and zero content. Conversation without content is empty rhetoric, and content without conversation is a spreadsheet. Content and conversation are king. You can fool dumb people without content, certainly, and there`s good money to be made doing so - it`s a large demographic that`s still largely untapped. You can`t win over anyone with content alone. Everything takes a little sales pitch. So, if my initial premise is accurate about content and conversation, it could follow that conversation does take priority over content, in that you need conversation for everyone, but you only need content for average/smart people. It`s like politics.
  • Options
    Content is what you have to say.

Proof positive that most of the people responding to this topic don`t have a clue what content is. So, they make up their own definition. Unbelievable!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson3/16/2009 1:56 PM
  • Options
    OldNikkoOldNikko subscriber Posts: 0
    You can fool dumb people without content, certainly, and there`s good money to be made doing so - it`s a large demographic that`s still largely untapped.

That`s an interesting idea Matt... putting all the people that do dumb things in one demographic. Does that mean stupid people are also their own demographic too?

Leads me to wonder: Just how the heck do you profile these demographics? And more so, how do you target them? And, what appeals to them enough that they will buy?

They would be great markets - if you can figure out just what makes them tick and what will make them spend their what must be meager incomes.

Monitizing these folks just might be a little more complicated than what appears on the surface though, because I have a feeling they are: 1. very large groups of people; 2. difficult to specifically locate; and 3. likely have a wide and diverse set of unknown hotbuttons.

Lots to think about here...

Nick
    OldNikko3/16/2009 5:54 PM
  • Options
    Maybe, a head start might be looking at Obama voters first? They appear to be a perfect match for at least the third demographic of "non-thinkers" in the "I want it ALL - NOW!" category...

Careful, Nick. I take offense to that comment. It was totally uncalled for. I`m one of those people who voted for and wholeheartedly support "President" Obama. Let`s stay on topic, and not make this a political discussion. Nobody wins those. This is a marketing forum, not CSPAN.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson3/16/2009 2:35 PM
  • Options
    Deleted by member.
    OldNikko3/16/2009 5:55 PM
  • Options
    Like I said, this isn`t CSPAN. This is a marketing forum. Let`s talk marketing, okay? The election`s over, Nick. Let it go!

David Jackson
    DavidJackson3/16/2009 3:24 PM
  • Options
    Deleted by member.

Nick

Free lesson: You can`t do anything about what happens to and around you, but you can and must decide how you react to it... for good or naught.
    OldNikko3/16/2009 5:55 PM
  • Options
    I`m done.You can choose to learn, or not. And it`s still not personal.

There isn`t anything that you can teach me about marketing. I`m done, and that`s not personal either.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson3/16/2009 3:46 PM
  • Options
    Deleted by member.
    OldNikko3/16/2009 5:53 PM
  • Options
    I agree David, you can`t teach a closed mind.

My mind is closed only to you, Nick. Only to you.

David Jackson
  • Options
    We had a friendly relationship, until you started talking politics, Nick. That`s why I hate talking politics. It does nothing but cause hard feelings, and should have never been introduced into this topic.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson3/16/2009 4:32 PM
  • Options
    "It`s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." ~ Epictetus
  • Options
    CasiCasi subscriber Posts: 5
    In an attempt to get back on topic, here is a quote from the same person who created the presentation that began this entire thread.  (By the way, I wonder how many of you actually clicked on the link and checked out his "content"... and how many of you were content in simply expressing your opinion....  )
    Anyway, he writes about the growing trend of social networking and how these sites are beginning to compete with search engines as sources of traffic:

"Optimising your content to drive traffic is not a new idea. But current wisdom is that the focus for content optimisation is for search engines. So tell me. If you were running a content site, which would you rather have - traffic from a bunch of people who are looking for a specific piece of information and are highly likely to leave once they`ve found it (probably never to return), or traffic from a highly engaged community who are passionate about the subjects you write about, more likely to share your content and far more likely to come back again, and again?"
  • Options
    "It`s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters." ~ Epictetus

"There`s no fool like an old fool."  - Jacob Braude

David Jackson