WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Content Is NOT King!

Comments

• Options
    HanysmHanysm subscriber Posts: 0
    Very good observation.... English is actually my fourth language, after American of course....
    Hany~
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Whatever you say, 
    David Jackson will disagree with you.

I disagree.

David Jackson

DavidJackson3/10/2009 4:44 PM
  • Options
    CasiCasi subscriber Posts: 5
    If a tree falls in the forest and there`s no one there to Twitter it...
  • Options
    If a tree falls in the forest and there`s no one there to Twitter it...

Yes, it makes a sound.

David Jackson
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Twitter is filled with conversation in 140-character bytes, with little content and little substance. They have 600 million members and make no money. Obviously there`s "some" content in all that socializing, but is it important?
    What about that expression, "Oh, no, we were just making polite conversation." It refers to conversation without substance and no meaningful content.

Actually Twitter is being used more and more by the "big boys"  - larger corporations for marketing and customer relations. Google, Bank of America, Ford...etc included.

~Roland
    vwebworld3/11/2009 2:56 PM
  • Options
    OldNikkoOldNikko subscriber Posts: 0
    You can start here Craig...

Gossips: People who are one-dimensional bores, living vicariously though the words and actions of others.
    Conversationalists: People who engage in meaningful communication.
    Conversation Stealers: People who jump in on your story to change the focus to themselves - or to something that they know more about.
    Conversation Stoppers: People who kill the smooth flow of conversation through interrogating, monopolizing, or interrupting... among other no-nos.

Nick

OldNikko3/12/2009 3:55 PM
  • Options

I have to admit, I got a kick out of that one myself.  David JacksonDavidJackson3/12/2009 5:20 PM
  • Options
    HanysmHanysm subscriber Posts: 0
    As some poster mentioned, another hidden agenda for posters is to display his or her signature with links to their affiliation and/or web site to “drag” traffic. I think it is called “trolling” in the internet vocabulary!? I must say, this is a risky and naïve way of  advertisement. If people like the person then, sure you get hits but no buying and if not, you get the hand or a finger of hand…. Question is which finger is it …
    Hany~
    (I refuse to be one of the herd, but I am a herd of one man)
  • Options

I have to disagree with this.  Posting your Signature with links to your information is not a hidden agenda to anything.  If you`re posting relevant information or having a debate or discussion or what have you, it`s perfectly acceptable to post a Signature block that contains information about you, your website, etc., even if that website is for the purpose of selling things.  It`s a very powerful marketing technique when used properly and professionally and in no way implies a "hidden agenda" among professional and ethical marketers.  This is definitely not trolling, unless the post is completely out of context or has no meaning whatsoever other than to post a Signature block.       Here, here!  David Jackson
  • Options
    I`m reading these responses, and beginning to wonder if most of the people responding to this topic even know what content is.

David Jackson
  • Options
    Ditto that.   

It`s ridiculous! There shouldn`t even be any debate about content being king.

David Jackson
  • Options
    You`ll have to pardon my ignorance, but according to the definition of "web content" - it is everything on a website. In my opinion, that also includes any "conversations" that appear as well. Forums, Bulletin Boards, Blogs, Videos, Audios, Pages and so on are ALL content.

So, why is there even a continuing conversation?

Content is king - because - there is nothing else on a website.

Nick .
  • Options
    According to the definition of "web content" - it is everything on a website. In my opinion, that also includes any "conversations" that appear as well. Forums, Bulletin Boards, Blogs, Videos, Audios, Pages and so on are ALL content.
     So, why is there even a continuing conversation? Content is king - because - there is nothing else on a website.     I said pretty much the same thing way back on page  one. Thanks for the reinforcement!  David Jackson
  • Options

No problem David... Reminders never hurt when things go astray.

Like a seam in a pair of trousers, reinforcement never hurts, especially when something gets bloated with all the junk one can consume.

And, it looked like a lot of folks hadn`t taken the hint either... all they need do is take down the dictionary - or go to wikipedia. The definition would then be undeniably staring them in the face.

Could it be that some just like to read what they write - relevant or not??

Nick
  • Options
    Could it be that some just like to read what they write - relevant or not??

That`s affirmative, Nick.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson3/15/2009 4:34 PM