WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

USPTO refuses to register "cocaine" brand for soft drinks

patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
edited October 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
If you a can of soda with the brand "cocaine" on it, would you be offended?

Comments

• Options
    st8icst8ic subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Nope! I think that the entire controversy over this brand is ridiculous. It is propagated by the same overly-conservative people who have a problem with violent video games.
    Just because I enjoy a drink called cocaine, does not mean that I will be tempted to go out and do powerful street drugs. You have to give people a little more credit than that.
  • Options
    DunamisMentoringDunamisMentoring subscriber Posts: 0
    I`d be offended as a consumer and more emphatically as a business person. 

It`s so disheartening watching people do "anything" to try to make money.  Prostituting integrity in an obvious effort to instill sales buzz will only create a short term customer base and suspicion when submitting credit applications for vendor relationships.

We would certainly advise against it and suggest a more comprehensive approach to the market beginning (regionally) with perhaps a historic niche back to the early days of soft drinks in their packaging and at the same time create marketing partnerships with new "high risk" sports such as paragliding and supercross racing.  This would instill long term devotion.

The knucklehead that came up with "Cocaine" as a name for his product should deliver news papers and (hopefully) begin his business education.