WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Courier Business

skimmyskimmy subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2008 in Business Planning
A couple of years ago I had a friend who`s father owned a courier business.
He basically sub-contracted the work from a much larger courier
company. He owned about 30 trucks and made some pretty reasonable
money. The trucks obviously were branded with the parent company`s logo
and colors, furthermore then employees all wore the parent company`s
uniform. What I`m asking is how would you go about getting into this
type of a business? I have some money saved which could be used as a
down-payment on a couple of trucks and I`m sure I could find a couple
of friends/acquaintances looking for work. Do you think I should just
find a bunch of courier companies in my area and inquire as to whether
they are looking for sub-contractors?

Comments

• Options
    st8icst8ic subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    That`s pretty much how it works! One of my friends started a courier company and really struggled until he got the subcontracted work from a larger courier. The big ones are better established and already have all of the important clients. Just call them up and ask! I would start with one truck though, you may be over-extending yourself if you pay for two or more without knowing that the work is there.
  • Options
    Mark357Mark357 subscriber Posts: 0
    I am looking at starting a Courier Service myself and I like the info given so far. I was wondering if anyone knows of payment structure that Courier Services charge, ex... packages, parcels, Important legal documents and also Home deliveries. I am trying to find out if this venture is cost effective, or should I look at trying to sub-contract my services to some of the larger companies, also no one is actually hiring right now. Any help would be great.