WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

(Untitled)

Comments

• Options
    FEASTerFEASTer subscriber Posts: 0

Thank you.
    You write a press release and there are ways to do this. Do a search online for the special format required. Send 4 x 6 photo`s and a cover letter. Yes I`m in LA and sent this off to the LA Times. A Great source for getting media contact`s is Bacon`s is now Cision. http://us.cision.com/</A>
    Best,Imi a.k.a Marvinwww.iwantmyhelpinghands.com</A>

Terrific resource.  Thanks. 
    A couple of general tips:  When writing a press release make sure it doesn`t come across as an advertisement or blatant pitch.  If it does the editors will intercept it.  Just read some corporate releases to get the tone and language down, and keep it short.  And no typos! 
  • Options
    liveandlearnliveandlearn subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi to all,
    We have been reading the blogs for a while now and decided to comment. We also pitched in PA and had a wonderful experience. Along with everyone else we are waiting to hear back. We do however have a question has anyone dealt with manufacturing overseas?
  • Options
    JeannieJeannie subscriber Posts: 8

We do however have a question has anyone dealt with manufacturing overseas?

Yes, I had my product manufactured in China. The factory I used, makes clothes, ex. baby wear, swimming wear etc. 
    Jeannie

• Options
    liveandlearnliveandlearn subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Jeaninie,
    We are just so scared we don`t have a middle man and really are trying to do this without one. We would like to know if there are any companies that we should stay away from. Our product is made of neoprene and maybe since the company you use does swimwear they may be interested in ours. This is just the coolest site.

Thanks,
    Tammy
  • Options

Hi liveandlearn,
    I presented my game at the Chicago show, and I`m manufacturing in Hong Kong right now.  I`m about two weeks from putting in my first order for 6,000 units -- I`m just a little nervous!  
    Mary Kay,
    That`s a big step.  Good luck.
    We are still using local vendors and have our own assembly operation.  Overseas is attractive but we can get the margins we want locally, mostly.  I`ve found that most vendors will negotiate.
    Assembly is our bottle neck, but so far we`ve kept up.  If the QVC thing goes through we`ll have to hustle for a while.  Good problem to have. 

FEASTer2007-4-14 12:18:3
  • Options
    Just got quotes from my local vendors --  They came in 50% under our early production estimates.  We worked together to find the sweet spot for unit price vs quantity.
    China is only slightly cheaper and with the 10 week lead time and shipping costs, well, Made In America makes sense in our case.  It can be done.

• Options

We are just so scared we don`t have a middle man and really are trying to do this without one. We would like to know if there are any companies that we should stay away from. Our product is made of neoprene and maybe since the company you use does swimwear they may be interested in ours. This is just the coolest site.
    Tammy

Hi Tammy,
    I don`t believe they manufacture stuff with neoprene.  If it is a rubberlike material, I really don`t think they work with that because they mainly sew clothing.
    Sorry.
    Jeannie

• Options

Hi Jeannie,
    Are you dealing with them directly?  If yes, how`s your experience been?  I was afraid of the language barrier, so I went with a firm here in Chicago that`s kind of a broker to the manufacturer & they also do freight forwarding.  I`m paying a little more, but for my first go-around I wanted to be more safe than sorry.  My goal is to be able to work directly with the factory at some point.
    Mary Kay
    Hi Mary Kay,
    I have never done business with China before so I was worried about dealing with overseas too! But I found a really nice lady of another company who was nice enough to recommend a manufacturer to me. She told me that she has worked with them before and that she really trusts them. That was when I decided to give that factory a try.
    Yes, I have dealt directly with them. And they have been great! The only thing  that can be improved is the lead time. But of course, the first time shipping is always a bit delayed since everything is new for everyone. But I`m sure that if we work with them again, they would know exactly what to do since everything is pretty much finalized now. Anyway, since I was not in a rush to get my product (no buyers were waiting in line yet ), the lead time didn`t really matter to me. But they are great! They do everything. They sew my product, find a printer and find the fabric supplier altogether.
    As for the language barrier, I didn`t have any problem at all.  I communicated with the manufacturer by email only. I never spoke to them on the phone. If, sometimes, I didn`t understand what they were writing, they would try to re-phrase their thoughts once again. Which helped. But pictures are really helpful.  You show them a picture of what you want, and they`ll understand.
    But it`s great that you found a broker in Chicago. It made you feel safer and that`s definitely better than feeling sorry!
    In order for me to save the most money, I chose my own freight forwarder and found my own customs broker as well. Of course, it didn`t hurt that I use to work in a freight forwarding company. I was in the ocean dept. so I knew going by ocean was the cheapest way. I even picked up my own freight with my mini van - love my Honda Odyssey.
    Anyways, if anyone is interested in getting my manufacturer`s name and email, please email me.  I`d be happy to help.
    Jeannie

• Options
    Hey Mary Kay,
    You can certainly email me. If I can answer, I will! I`m happy to help since I know what it feels like to be in the dark about things. I was so grateful to have others from SUN help me understand the process too! So please, don`t hesitate to email me.
    Jeannie
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Welcome to the board Tammy!  I am working with a terrific sourcing agent here in the US that is helping me with my OEM in China.  I was scared to go it alone, but it sounds like others have had great experiences. 
    Jeannie, I was the South East Regional Customer Service Manager (and did sales) for a pretty big NVO, where did you work in your former life? 
    Mary Kay, both Jeannie and I have tons to offer regarding transportation. 
    Even with a 9 year career of logistics I still went with a sourcing agent.  The transportation, customs, duty, etc... I knew like the back of my hand, I just wanted 1 english speaking "go to" person for all of my problems, including packaging, stainless steel tooling, UPC printing etc... as all of that I am having done overseas.  When I pick up my product at the port it needs to be retail ready (yep Jeannie, mini-vans ROCK!)  In my case, with my particular product, even with commission to my sourcing agent, I am still saving HUGE amounts.  If I knew of a stainless steel manufacturing that specialized in "investment casting" I might have tried it alone, I just didn`t have the contact.  Good going Jeannie!
  • Options
    Hey Leslie,
    I was the ocean import supervisor for Continental Container Lines (NVOCC)  near the JFK Airport area in NY. I was in logistics for almost the same time as you - 8 years!
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Too Funny!!!  I was w/ CaroTrans International (NVOCC) from 1993-2002!
  • Options
    That is funny! I started in 1992-2000. Been a stay-at-home mom ever since. But now, stay-at-home mompreneur! Jeannie2007-4-15 19:5:58
  • Options
    grannymiamigrannymiami subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi all, this is Miami ,  I am  Tammy`s business partner.  I would be very interested in  anyones input on finding a broker and what would be a reasonable fee schedule.  We have been quoted prices that vary so greatly, it spooks us. We have had a relatively easy time so far, as we wrote our own patent, received our trademark protection and worked out all the kinks in design and quality control issues quickly, however in trying to get through the maze of overseas manufacturing we have been snapped back to reality. Thanks for any information or advice you can offer. 
  • Options
    Hi grannymiami,
    Do you mean customs broker?