WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

COSTCO CONNECTION | I Got Mine

2»

Comments

• Options
    RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    I am also here because of the Costco Connection.  I am, however, ashamed to admit that I knew about SUN long before.  I just never took the time to really check it out.  I should be shot...
    jewlz,
    our firing squads use only duds, so you`re relatively safe. you probably have a good excuse anyway, such as, "my dog keeps jumping the fence and running away and i have to chase him down."
  • Options
    LauraGlynnLauraGlynn subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m also here because of the Costco Connection.  Great article.  I love to read about "real" (as in "get real"! : D) people making it!
    I am disappointed, in myself, that I never found you before 
    Especially with all the googling I do about all things business.  Oh Wait!  We can`t say that anymore!
    story

• Options
    PezToroPezToro subscriber Posts: 0
     I also got here through costco connection magazine, great article and this web site is very helpful lotsa information to get started or continue with my plans.

thanks.

• Options
    new SUNsters, please let us know what kind of information you`re most interested in. also, just curious, are you just receiving the Costco Connection via mail? some people got it a couple of weeks ago...
    welcome!
    rich
  • Options
    LauraGlynnLauraGlynn subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi Rich-
    No.  I didn`t just receive my magazine.  It was in my "to read" pile.  I did want to tell you that I often read articles and think "I should look at that on their website" and then I completely forget about it.  or I don`t remember the website by the time I am in front of a computer.  I did remember you and Jeff and your website was easy to remember! So here I am.
    As for your question, I`d like to see an opinion piece about obtaining Venture Capital.  Something with a headline like; Obtaining Venture Capital - Helping your business or selling your soul? That would really get my interest!
    I`m being comical on the headline but I do think such an article would be of interest to small business owners whom have never taken the plunge.
    What do you think?
    Have a great Friday!
    Laura
  • Options
    EspressoGalEspressoGal subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello, I`m interested in knowing if there is any other people here at SUN who own their own coffee house, what kinds of problems they have faced, is Starbucks as big a competition as they seem?, is anyone using a company called "Crimson Cup" as their supplier and the pros and and cons of that company, etc. Or am I the first here at SUN who wants to own my own coffee house.?  I would love to hear from those who have gone before me. Thanks!
    About the Costco Connection, Have been a member for 4 years now, We are fully into the Costco lifestyle!
  • Options

I`d like to see an opinion piece about obtaining Venture Capital.  Something with a headline like; Obtaining Venture Capital - Helping your business or selling your soul? That would really get my interest!
    I`m being comical on the headline but I do think such an article would be of interest to small business owners whom have never taken the plunge.
    What do you think?
    Laura

this is very helpful! i popped you a 5 rating for following through with details!
    regarding the topic, i think venture capital is for such a tiny minority of startups that it`s not a viable resource in most cases. do you feel that Step 6 doesn`t cover the topic well enough with upside/downside information?
  • Options
    GoldMountainMiningGoldMountainMining subscriber Posts: 4
    I would like to see information related to what is currently relevant for me, which is this:  we`ve run the Web side of our business for the last five years strictly as an in-family, two-person operation.  But growth now forces us to hire from outside.  I am interested in all things related to this. 
    In addition to how to find the right person I find myself dealing with feelings of vulnerability.  I am fearful of showing my warts; of exposing my less-than-perfect systems and procedures to someone.  Our actual day-to-day operations can really be quite brutal because we deal with custom items with tight delivery deadlines and, candidly, I`m afraid of showing someone else my moments of frustration.Other members of my family run our brick-and-mortar.  I have worked for other family businesses and that family`s lives and secrets were no longer private.  Everyone in that 450 employee company knew the tweaks, quirks and personal lives of all the family members.  I am fearful of being so "out there."
  • Options
    greg,
    currently the only two articles we have on this topic are these:
    s.asp
    http://www.startupnation.com/pages/keym ... _Ponzi.asp</A>
    and they`re basically discussing the same subject matter.
    we did a radio show focused on this very topic, "running a family business and how to integrate non-family members" about the Simon family that is a 6-generation owner of Omaha Steaks. unfortunately, it appears that that radio show is not archived on our site at this time. let me see if i can get that onto the site. additionally, since over 80% of all businesses are family-owned, i`m sure many people confront related issues and we should give more attention to aspects of the topic.
    thanks for the heads up about this.
    in the meantime, you should probably start a post here in the forums regarding family business. will you?
    rich