Thoughts: Incentive for customers to NOT pay by P.O.

SilenceDogoodSilenceDogood subscriber Posts: 9
edited November 2008 in Marketing
I have more and more customers electing to pay by P.O.
I have not yet been stiffed but it really delays getting paid and I have had a few customers go beyond the 30 day terms (slow payers).
I would prefer that most purchase online electronically (I`m dealing with schools).
Any thoughts on an incentive to purchase online (discounted) vs. through a P.O. (marked up)?  Looking at this from the opposite perspective: a disincentive for using a P.O.
Anyway - I hate the hassle of the extra paperwork, invoicing, etc. and really like to see $$$ "magically" appear in my bank account.
Any thoughts?  Ideas?

Comments

• RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    The challenge there is your market.  Many schools - government agencies as a whole in fact - only do business via purchase orders.  I know where I live this is the only option - they won`t do business any other way.  Yes, it`s less efficient but that`s government.  They don`t tend to respond to faster pay discounts because it`s not their money - they don`t really care.  They are system driven rather than efficiency driven.
  • SilenceDogoodSilenceDogood subscriber Posts: 9
    The challenge there is your market.  Many schools - government agencies as a whole in fact - only do business via purchase orders.  I know where I live this is the only option - they won`t do business any other way.  Yes, it`s less efficient but that`s government.  They don`t tend to respond to faster pay discounts because it`s not their money - they don`t really care.  They are system driven rather than efficiency driven.

I think you are right.
    I wonder if there are any ways to make this more efficient for myself????
    I would love a paypal (POPal) type service --- sort of a clearinghouse:  P.O in-> Invoice out-> Check in -> ETF to bank ---- I`d be happy to pay a reasonable percentage.  Does anyone know if such a service exists?
    Paper work is not a forte.