WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Thoughts: Incentive for customers to NOT pay by P.O.

SilenceDogoodSilenceDogood subscriber Posts: 9
edited November 2008 in Marketing
I have more and more customers electing to pay by P.O.
I have not yet been stiffed but it really delays getting paid and I have had a few customers go beyond the 30 day terms (slow payers).
I would prefer that most purchase online electronically (I`m dealing with schools).
Any thoughts on an incentive to purchase online (discounted) vs. through a P.O. (marked up)?  Looking at this from the opposite perspective: a disincentive for using a P.O.
Anyway - I hate the hassle of the extra paperwork, invoicing, etc. and really like to see $$$ "magically" appear in my bank account.
Any thoughts?  Ideas?

Comments

• RemipubRemipub subscriber Posts: 3
    The challenge there is your market.  Many schools - government agencies as a whole in fact - only do business via purchase orders.  I know where I live this is the only option - they won`t do business any other way.  Yes, it`s less efficient but that`s government.  They don`t tend to respond to faster pay discounts because it`s not their money - they don`t really care.  They are system driven rather than efficiency driven.
  • SilenceDogoodSilenceDogood subscriber Posts: 9
    The challenge there is your market.  Many schools - government agencies as a whole in fact - only do business via purchase orders.  I know where I live this is the only option - they won`t do business any other way.  Yes, it`s less efficient but that`s government.  They don`t tend to respond to faster pay discounts because it`s not their money - they don`t really care.  They are system driven rather than efficiency driven.

I think you are right.
    I wonder if there are any ways to make this more efficient for myself????
    I would love a paypal (POPal) type service --- sort of a clearinghouse:  P.O in-> Invoice out-> Check in -> ETF to bank ---- I`d be happy to pay a reasonable percentage.  Does anyone know if such a service exists?
    Paper work is not a forte.