WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Home Staging Anyone

Comments

• Options
    OhhBoyOhhBoy subscriber Posts: 5
    I need suggestions on how to get a way for the homeseller to be able to pay me after the property closes without risking doing all of the work and having them decide that they want to take the house off the market or something else that would ruin my chances of getting paid. Any ideas.
    Credit checking and requiring a deposit up front is ideal.  You could take a credit card as security. 
    I would recommend seeking out an attorney and see how the property mechanics leins work in your county/state.  If you can place a lein on the property you should get paid out of closing.  Pending bankrupcies and situation where there is more owed than made on the deal would leave you high and dry.  The few staging situations that i have seen get paid up front.
  • Options
    EricEric subscriber Posts: 8

Credit checking and requiring a deposit up front is ideal.  You could take a credit card as security. 
    I would recommend seeking out an attorney and see how the property mechanics leins work in your county/state.  If you can place a lein on the property you should get paid out of closing.  Pending bankrupcies and situation where there is more owed than made on the deal would leave you high and dry.  The few staging situations that i have seen get paid up front.

OhhBoy,
    I could not disagree with you more. I cannot think of a more perfect way to destroy an opportunity than by telling the potential customer that "we need to run a credit check on you to make sure you`ll be able to pay us" 
    Furthermore, filing a lein on a property is a lot of trouble to go through for anything less than a couple of thousand of dollars and often leads to a counter attack and opens you up to a smear campaign against your company.
    If you offer a service of any kind. You absolutely must be prepared to deal with the occasional slow pay or no pay in this manner; Bite your upper lip, whisper quietly to yourself, and move on. Continue to make calls for payment and be a consistent thorn in their side, offer them payment options and as a purely last resort, if the outstanding payment warrants it, send it to "collections" I feel that you would be far better served to train yourself to spot these customers in advance. With time you`ll see them coming a mile away and avoid them.
    Gerri, 
    I really feel that you have almost all of the pieces in place to start off strongly. Nice job. You have received a lot of solid advice here and you will continue to get good ideas, but sometimes you`ll get a bad one. My opinion is that Ohhboy, was way off on this. I understand that he was looking out for your best interest but perhaps after reading this he will reconsider what the consequenses are for employing such a tactic.
    I am also a strong advocate of staging. For my own home I was able to exploit the previous owners inability to stage by picking up a property that just wouldn`t sell and ended up incredibly undervalued. Like yourself, I could see the potential behind the first impression and moved on it. 
    Best of luck in your endeavor! I think it`s very rewarding what you do. ....
    Oh..I almost forgot to mention.....I had a similar idea years ago to offer such a service to homesellers but my plan was to increase their sale price dramatically or cut their sale time dramatically then cash in on a  percentage of the difference. No results, no obligation to pay. A bit crazy but it definitely says "this is how much I believe this will help you.....if it doesn`t work, it`s free!"
    ~Eric
  • Options
    mwood4mwood4 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi there Gerri,I agree with Eric....the option to lien someones property would most likely be detrimental to your business in the long run. Of course your right is always there, but normal small claims actions are usually your best bet, if opted. You may already have these points in place, in my expereience, clear concise agreements up front, help you to declare your value, and most clients respect you for it:Have your clients sign a contract which has a clause that is similar to the irrevocable clause that realtors have with their clients.This contract can also have clarification of the clients promise to pay you a portion up front, authorization and promise to pay the balance through the closing of the escrow, and a promise from the client that in the event that they do not sell their home or their escrow(s) cancel, they will pay you in full no later than_________. Of course you can always offer a simple solution for the client to pay you upfront also.If the client has a listing with an agent already, make sure to submit your bills to the realtor to make sure they are aware of the balance owing, and also submit your final billings to the title/escrow company early on in the clients contractual phase, to assure payment. Stay in touch with the realtor and the title/escrow co to confirm the estimated closing date, and request that you be advised if the contract may be cancelling.Many, not all  Title/Escrow Companies will address all bills submitted  to title/escrow in the event the contract cancels, and will work with the buyer/seller/realtor and creditor on collecting funds necessary and getting bills paid.Getting the expectation of payment clarified up front, and gentle follow up is your best bet. And of course, there will be the occasional client that will not pay you even as agreed upon, and those situations will just need you to consider what action to take, if any, on a case by case basis.Stage Away !Michele
  • Options
    OhhBoyOhhBoy subscriber Posts: 5

OhhBoy,
    I could not disagree with you more. I cannot think of a more perfect way to destroy an opportunity than by telling the potential customer that "we need to run a credit check on you to make sure you`ll be able to pay us" 
    Furthermore, filing a lein on a property is a lot of trouble to go through for anything less than a couple of thousand of dollars and often leads to a counter attack and opens you up to a smear campaign against your company.
    If you offer a service of any kind. You absolutely must be prepared to deal with the occasional slow pay or no pay in this manner; Bite your upper lip, whisper quietly to yourself, and move on. Continue to make calls for payment and be a consistent thorn in their side, offer them payment options and as a purely last resort, if the outstanding payment warrants it, send it to "collections" I feel that you would be far better served to train yourself to spot these customers in advance. With time you`ll see them coming a mile away and avoid them.
    Gerri, 
    I really feel that you have almost all of the pieces in place to start off strongly. Nice job. You have received a lot of solid advice here and you will continue to get good ideas, but sometimes you`ll get a bad one. My opinion is that Ohhboy, was way off on this. I understand that he was looking out for your best interest but perhaps after reading this he will reconsider what the consequenses are for employing such a tactic.
    I am also a strong advocate of staging. For my own home I was able to exploit the previous owners inability to stage by picking up a property that just wouldn`t sell and ended up incredibly undervalued. Like yourself, I could see the potential behind the first impression and moved on it. 
    Best of luck in your endeavor! I think it`s very rewarding what you do. ....
    Oh..I almost forgot to mention.....I had a similar idea years ago to offer such a service to homesellers but my plan was to increase their sale price dramatically or cut their sale time dramatically then cash in on a  percentage of the difference. No results, no obligation to pay. A bit crazy but it definitely says "this is how much I believe this will help you.....if it doesn`t work, it`s free!"
    ~Eric

Gerri-
  • Options
    StagerStager subscriber Posts: 1
    Michele,
    This is very good advice! I appreciate your clear and concise reccomendation.
    Thank you,
    Gerri
  • Options
    mwood4mwood4 subscriber Posts: 0
    I like the majority of Eric`s messages to you, however, the lien process is quite standard in the repair/construction/contractor business, with mechanic lien processes already set up in the community. However, Staging is a different animal, and I truly believe that liening would be detrimental to a stager. I deal with buyers, sellers and realtors on a daily basis....and this comes from getting quite an earful from all of them on what keeps them happy:)Please keep posting opn how things are moving along for you, and let me know if you try any of my suggestions through the closing process, and how the parties responded/helped or not Michele
  • Options
    EricEric subscriber Posts: 8
    Michele,
    Thank you for clarifying the point. Staging is a different animal....I like the way you put that. Ohhboy, brings up some valid points. It`s busy when people are selling a property or home. Individuals can become overwhelmed with what is before them. Some people are just thieves and will attempt to avoid a bill if given an opportunity. I agree also on this- Protect yourself with a solid contract. It will be enforceable in court if you need to take that route as Ohhboy mentioned. 
    Stager,
    I`m very sorry to have gotten you caught up in this little debate. If you will please bear with me, I`m going to ramble on here (once again) for just a moment longer directed mostly to Ohhboy in regards to the necessity for credit checks and property liens.
    I am emphasising this: It is not wise to "spell out" that you are going to wreak havoc on your potential clients lives if they ever fail to pay. Don`t place in large bold print that a lien that is sure to follow if not paid within X days of closing.  And unless you are faced with an unusual situation that you believe calls for such a move do NOT run a credit check on your client. If you truly feel that you need to run a credit check on a potential client then you are already taking a big risk by taking the job. 
     As Ohhboy mentioned, the actual fee for filing a lien is not expensive considering what it can do for you. It may collect your bill . What else will it do though?  Upon closing, all those present- real estate agents, lawyers, possibly accountants, certainly the people you want to impress, and buyers of all kinds who know who-knows-who?- will be made all too aware of who it was that filed the lien, what it was for, and then possibly the argument for why it wasn`t paid, who`s responsible and the question will often remain for all parties, right or wrong,  "did they do such a bad job that they didn`t get paid?"  Isn`t that then exactly what the sellers would argue? I`ll add that it`s their right as upheld by the other end of a good contract and if there is but a hint of truth then you can look forward to arbitration. Either way, at that point somebody will have to pay. It`s a negative experience forever associated with your good business name. I ask, how much would one pay to avoid that scenario?
    Ohhboy, please understand that this is not an attack on your way of doing business. If that works for you, that`s great, you`re taking control, you found your weakness which was apparantly was dealing with a large enough percentage of unreliable clients that it seriously affected your bottom line. My argument here is that for Stager, credit checks and liens are inadvisable unless getting paid becomes an inevitable and persistent problem as it was with you. Can we agree on that?
    Again, my apologies and thanks to those who take the time to endure my oft long-winded outbursts. I do appreciate your patience.
  • Options
    Eric,
    No apologies necessary. I am learning quite a bit  through this rigorous debate and would not have had the insight or experience to bring up most of these points! It`s ideas like these that stimulate action or non action when it comes to putting all the pieces together. Thank you for the insight.
    Gerri 
  • Options
    rossbrossb subscriber Posts: 5
    Gerri  -I just read the last few posts between Eric & Ohhboy and have no input what-so-ever concerning property liens, etc other than to say research your options, know what you`re getting into, then do what seems right and best for your personal situation...  And once you decide don`t second guess your decision, either it works and you keep doing it or it doesn`t and you quickly regroup and adjust your strategy...Now, regarding how to collect payment, let me first make a couple of assumptions to base these comments on:if you`re to the point of talking to a client about payment options then they are probably about 85%-90% sold on your services.you have expenses associated with providing your expertise, even if they aren`t big expenses, you still have them.  Buying silk plants or center pieces etc...It is not unheard of to require that at least a portion of your fee be paid up-front, say 25% at a minimum, maybe even 50%.  Then two monthly payments for the balance or the full balance at closing, whichever comes first.  As an added incentive, offer a 10% discount if they pay you 100% up-front.  You get a little less, but you no longer have to worry about it.My thought is that requiring up-front payment does a couple of things for you.  First, it helps to qualify your client.  They believe in staging enough to put some money on the table.Second, if at the end of your commitment, they don`t pay the balance, it shows in court that they believed in your service themselves.  Of course you have your standard disclaimer that you can in no way guarantee a specific increase in their sales price, yada yada...Any way, just some rambling thoughts of my own, hopefully there aren`t too many holes in them and they can be of some use...R-
  • Options
    Thanks Ross,
    Good ideas.
    Gerri
  • Options
    NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    Geri,
    As a good rule of business, written agreements are the best agreements...especially when money is involved.   Regardless of what billing option, collection option, etc. you choose it is always wise to seek an attorney`s advice. 
    Just out of curiosity, have you checked with the organization where you obtained your accrediation to see if they have a generic contract that you and your attorney could review? If not,  is there one on the web or www.microsoft.com</A> `s templates for small business owners?  If so, then you might be able to have an attorney tell you what modifications, if any, are necessary to make the contract legally binding (including collection methods/options).  Then again, your attorney could always draft a contract specific to your services and have it applicable to your area`s local, state and federal laws.   
  • Options
    JewlzJewlz subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Gerri,
    I have close relationships with a couple of very large real estate companies.  I called my contact at one & asked how this was most commonly handled with their agents/clients.  Usually through escrow, just as Michele suggested. 
    I do have a suggestion for you to get in front of realtors & to have a close working relationship with them.  This is one of the first things we did when we started our business.  Many real estate companies have a "preferred vendor program", or a  "concierge dept" as Coldwell Banker does.  You can usually join for a reasonable fee & they will market your business to their agents and clients.  So often real estate companies have "closed offices" and will not allow outside vendors to come in to market, so this is a great way to get your foot in the door.  The ones we have dealt with allow us to come in to their sales meetings to speak, invite us to company events, and really treat us like we`re a member of their "realtor family". 
  • Options
    If you wish to promote your services to new construction then you might want to start by locating your local builders association.  Your local builder association can be located by visiting the following website: http://www.nahb.org/local_association_search_form.aspx</A>
    To research your states and local realtor associations or your area`s multiple listing services (MLS) try the following website: http://www.realtor.org/leadrshp.nsf/?OpenDatabase</A>
  • Options
    Hi Nicole,
    Thanks for the good advice. I thought seeking out builders would be a good avenue as well until I was offered the opportunity to do a new display home. I quickly learned that my outlay of expenses to furnish the home with high end furniture would set me back. Renting wasn`t an option because many displays are set up for 6-10 months.So the expense of renting would have exceeded the cost of purchasing. I even approached local furniture stores to see if they would consider letting me use their merchandise with small signs tastefully placed around mentioning their business...but there was no interest because they couldn`t turn around and sell it as new once it was returned to the store. This may be something I can consider once I have a warehouse of furniture, but for now, I can`t bear the expense of furnishing a complete house.My existing inventory (remember I`m still a baby in this business)is somewhat limited and I supplement furnishing by renting. This cuts into my profits and requires additional time for project management (being there for pick up and delivery).
    You have contributed several good suggestions. I appreciate that. Let those creative wheels keep turning and by all means, let me know if you can think me out of this box!
    Thanks,
    Gerri
  • Options
    Gerri,
    Have you spoken to furniture manufactuers or just furniture stores?  The reason I ask is because you might have more purchasing power if you purchase direct from the manufacture v. a furniture store.  Besides it never hurts to inquire, after all the worse that can happen is they say no.
    If they say no, then what about garage sales, your local newspaper classifieds, furniture re-upholstrey vendors, pawn shops, and/or recycled/refurbish type vendors. Another idea is to contact your local storage vendors and ask how often they auction unpaid/unclaimed storage items.   
    Here is a link to an article on refurbished furniture: 01,HGTV_3132_1380387,00.html
    Here is a link to the Cheapskate Monthly website.  If you subscribe to the newsletter then you will receive a wealth of tips on how to shop economically savy and within budget:  http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com/</A>