WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

10 Reasons Why Most Businesses Fail

Comments

• Options
    SALESCONSULTANTSALESCONSULTANT subscriber Posts: 0

DavidJackson

You mentioned in one of your posts, “I`ve actually  been in sales and marketing for around 18 years. So I know exactly what I`m talking about.”

Yet #7 on your list is: “7. They don`t ask for the order. As unbelievable as it may sound. I`ve actually read ads where the company presented its case for buying their product, and never once asked for the sale.”

David, why is that unbelievable to you? Being an expert of 18 years in sales and marketing?

I have been in advertisement sales for 6 years and OF COURSE THERE ARE ADS THAT NEVER ASK FOR THE SALE. There are many ads that never will ask for the sale because advertisement is not necessarily about asking for the sale. Advertisement where a company “presents its case for buying their product” is a specialized type of advertisement and you should know what type of advertisement that is and why they present their case for their product and do not ask for the sale.

BoldPrint

That’s my response to #7.

SALESCONSULTANT2/17/2009 2:23 PM
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    David,
    Thanks for the list. Would you mind expanding on #7. What are some good techniques to use to ask for the order, say in an ad or proposal?

No problem. After you make your presentation, simply direct the reader what you want him to do. For example, "Stop Losing Money on Your Advertising! Order the Ad Kit Today!"

Here`s another example: "Lose 10 Pounds in 10 Days! Order Slim & Trim Milk Shake Now!"

There are a million ways to ask for the order. The main thing is that you ask.

David Jackson

• Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    As a consultant who works with new/startup businesses, as well as someone who founded my own online retail firm,  I agree with all of these points. A question I`m asked frequently is, "Why do I need a business plan?" Many entrepreneurs like to fly solo and do without a business plan.  If you fail to plan, you`re planning to fail.  A robust business or marketing plan is like a strong blueprint to build a beautiful, sturdy, long-lasting house. Without it, you`re building a house on sand, and the slightest gale will blow it right down. 

Sevenoaks,
    You sound like  that "Primerica" fraud scheme, "Many people don`t plan to fail, they fail to plan" this is such an over rated statement... but they use it to take your money. Is that what you tell your customers as well?
    Again, there are many companies out there, that when asked, about a business plan, they don`t have one or don`t care to have one... I don`t understand why people are so strong out on a business plan, I`m not saying you shouldn`t plan! What I`m saying is don`t spend 6 months planning, by then you might have already lost the opportunity, and most of all your spirit...
    Write a short 1 page, executive summary, and run with it! take notes along the way and you will be just fine... Nuevolution2/17/2009 1:53 PM
  • Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1

There are a variety of reasons why most businesses fail. Following are the ten most common reasons: ...  Hello David, great post here mainly because I like the controversy it stirred up--would be fun to watch in a conference room setting. Anyway, this got me thinking about how controversy can be used as a business strategy to attract um... new business. Remember the Donald Trump/Rosie O`Donnell controversy? Neither one suffered from lack of press. The Business Plan argument: Well, I`d just like to add an embellishment if I may. I personally keep a Corporate Journal. Some call it a Corporate Book. I believe this is an effective way of keeping a Business Plan, however structured, on track. I recently put this into practice and it`s helped immensely regarding productivity and accountability (to myself) as a one-person operation. 
  • Options
    Hello David, great post here.
     The Business Plan argument: I personally keep a Corporate Journal. Some call it a Corporate Book. I believe this is an effective way of keeping a Business Plan, however structured, on track. I recently put this into practice and it`s helped immensely regarding productivity and accountability (to myself) as a one-person operation.     Hello Chuck: Great idea using a corporate journal to keep your business plan on track. That`s shows great flexibility and a creative mind. Keep up the good work! David Jackson
  • Options
    SALESCONSULTANTSALESCONSULTANT subscriber Posts: 0

DavidJackson

I do want to take the time to let you know that other than #7 I do like everything else you have to say and find the information useful. I do agree that #1 should be inclusive of short daily goals and long-term. You do too you have already said so in some of your responses to various posts.

I have more than one favorite though I have a few those being:

*They`re incompetent.

You`d be surprised at how many businesses there are out there being run by principals who don`t have a clue about running a business. –

* They don`t advertise.

– as I said I have sold for 11 years 6 in advertisement and there is nothing more gratifying than hearing someone tell you if it was not for the advertisement they would not be in business at all. Or to hear them say how they made a huge Return On Investment for their investment in advertisement. Or how excited they were to receive tons of calls that really brings them back to life that their service or product is needed, demanded, wanted by others.

* They`re in it strictly for the money.

* They don`t learn from their mistakes.

* They don`t take advantage of trends. 
    * Poor presentation of product or service.

Thanks for taking the time to post the information David.

SALESCONSULTANT2/17/2009 9:20 PM
  • Options
    I do want to take the time to let you know that other than #7 I do like everything else you have to say and find the information useful.Thanks for taking the time to post the information David.    Thank you very much! I`m glad you liked my article, and found it useful. David Jackson
  • Options

They lack "passion" for what they`re doing.  If you do what you love, you`ll love what you do and others will feel your passion and be inspired by you. That`s a post in itself.     I already wrote about that in my article  10 Proven Ways For Making Money Online. David Jackson
  • Options

Sorry... But I can boil it down to two reasons... The rest is just commentary. #1:  They Give Up Too Soon#2:  They Don`t Learn From Their Mistakes (I liked your #9) The rest of your 10 can be overcome, if they learn from those mistakes, and don`t give up.      No need to apologize. You`re entitled to your opinion. David Jackson
  • Options

There are a variety of reasons why most businesses fail. Following are the ten most common reasons: ...  Hello David, great post here mainly because I like the controversy it stirred up--would be fun to watch in a conference room setting. Anyway, this got me thinking about how controversy can be used as a business strategy to attract um... new business. Remember the Donald Trump/Rosie O`Donnell controversy? Neither one suffered from lack of press. The Business Plan argument: Well, I`d just like to add an embellishment if I may. I personally keep a Corporate Journal. Some call it a Corporate Book. I believe this is an effective way of keeping a Business Plan, however structured, on track. I recently put this into practice and it`s helped immensely regarding productivity and accountability (to myself) as a one-person operation. 

YES!, Proactive! thank you for sharing that with us... This is what I do as well. I keep a Log of all corporate events, mistakes, and obstacles, and what I do is write a paragraph or two, sometimes depending on the issue, a whole page and I address, what I did, to over come that obstacle or how I fixed that mistake...
    In the beginning of my journey as a new business owner, one of the major issues running my business was "customer`s not paying on time".
    After writing a two page journal, and addressing this issue, things started floating much better and how they were supposed to from the beginning.

Folks, this is another good reason why businesses fail. it is the "biggest - small business - killer", customer`s not giving
    you the benefit of the doubt or think that because you`re a small
    business they can basically wipe their rear with your company and
    policies.
    If you`re going to write a business plan and use that as your bible, don`t write it from an optimistic point of view, have a mixture of both Optimism and pessimism . Remember for every positive there is a negative, and if you`re business plan is all positives and no negatives, you`ve just created an unbalanced business plan.
    The last time I wrote a business plan was when I was in college and believe me, it is easy to get carried away in optimism, and before you know, you fall in to "La-La Land".
    BTW... did I mention that my school project became my company, some 1 year after I graduated?
  • Options
    Here`s another one...
    Bad cash-flow management...
    I`ve seen many businesses fold because of this common problem

Yes... the biggest killer...
  • Options
    Here`s another one...
    Bad cash-flow management...
    I`ve seen many businesses fold because of this common problem

Yep, that`s a biggie alright.

David Jackson
  • Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1
     In the beginning of my journey as a new business owner, one of the major issues running my business was "customer`s not paying on time".
    After writing a two page journal, and addressing this issue, things started floating much better and how they were supposed to from the beginning.

Thankfully Nuevolution, the only "customer" I have to worry about paying is myself (for the most part). But as a rule, I too keep an accurate daily account of business activities, outcomes and adjustments (if something has gone awry). I routinely type this out on a plain text editor, print it out on 3-hole punch and place in a binder with monthly tabs. This way, if Uncle Sam ever needs to know what I`m up to; no problem. 
  • Options
    I keep an accurate daily account of business activities, outcomes and adjustments (if something has gone awry). I routinely type this out on a plain text editor, print it out on 3-hole punch and place in a binder with monthly tabs. This way, if Uncle Sam ever needs to know what I`m up to; no problem. 

Chuck, this is a great system! The more you explain it, the better it sounds.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson2/19/2009 1:12 PM
  • Options
    RickyORickyO subscriber Posts: 0
    Excellent, and spot-on.
    Most first-time businesses don`t get the planning and marketing parts.  If they do write a plan, usually all of two envelope backs, it always shows a profit by the end of the first year.  Non-sense!  They should write the plan backwards. Do the research, see what every need is and put in realistic figures.  Then be realistic with the sales side (# of items, quantities, margins).  THEN SEE IF IT WORKS.
    As for marketing, whatever you plan on investing on everything else in the business, match it for marketing alone.

Richard Carter
    greenenergycafe.com