Hello I am new and I need Advice

PatPat subscriber Posts: 2 Member

Hello!

My name is Patrick and I live in Chicago. I am not a great writer so I apologize for any grammatical errors or if this is hard to follow. I need help with my business idea and if I find the right person to help me maybe I'll take them with me for the ride.

Without giving away to much informationI have a personal need for a product in my life. This product has been around for many years but by many means is not perfect. It has a flaw that no one has been able to figure out but I think I have found a company that can fix one of it's main problems. There are about 4 main producers of this product.

There is a small possibility that the company that can fix the flaw is a client to one of the main producers.

I want to get started as soon as possible but I do not want to ruin my chances of making this work. Do I send an NDA to the company that I think can fix the flaw first to find out if it is even possible?

What if it is? Then what? I do not have the Capital to go up against these 4 major companies.

To be honest fixing this flaw and making a better product would be great but this would not be a huge money maker. It could bring in some nice income and I think it could lead to other products in the future but it would bring a lot of happiness. .... Thank you for any help.

Patrick

Answers

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness Birmingham, Mich. administrator Posts: 1,130 Site Admin

Hello, Pat!

Welcome to the community.

I guess I am a little bit confused. Is this a product you designed and created, or a product that is already out there that you are trying to tweak?

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • PatPat subscriber Posts: 2 Member

Hello Ryan!

Thank you for responding! This is a product that is already out there and has been in production for a long time.

Pat

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness Birmingham, Mich. administrator Posts: 1,130 Site Admin
    edited May 2020

So, to be clear, it is not a product you've invented yourself? You are looking to create your own variation of a product already out there.

I can't really speak to this, but my advice would be to get a lawyer and see what you can legally do here as I'm sure these products have patents, copyrights, trademarks, etc. I would not recommended doing this without consulting legal advice here, unless I am misunderstanding your situation.

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC