Difference between making friends and networking?

topshopper19topshopper19 Posts: 3subscriber Member
edited October 22 in Grab Bag
Hello,

making friends (close friends) requires a mixture of things: vulnerability, sharing of experiences, time investments, being there for each in good and bad times, revealing the real you etc etc.

I have noticed that "networking" is also about BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS.

The only difference i've found is that "networking" is about gaining something at some point in the future. You invest time in someone so that you can USE THEM at some stage later on.

Do you guys agree? Can someone please explain to me the differences between making friends and "networking"?

Thanks

Comments

• tuahbaotuahbao Posts: 37subscriber Bronze Level Member
    Hi Top Shopper,

Have you ever asked a favor from your friends? If you did, then will you agree that you HAD USED them? 'Helping each other' is one of the reasons why you make friends. Does that define as "using each other?"

Business networking is also about helping each other. For example: I have a problem, but you have the perfect solution for me. You help to solve my problem and I reward you for your time and effort spent, which is a fair deal. we both progress further and achieving win-win situation.

You make final decision to accept or reject an offer or request, thus no one can really use you.

I would say everyone has a commercial objective when it comes to business networking. On the other hands, you can choose to achieve both commercial and non-commercial objectives by making friends.

Non-commercial objective, such as go for a movie with friends or have a drink at bar.
    Commercial objective, such as you start a cafe business and you wish your friends to support your business. Or you wish your friends can buy insurance from you (as an insurance agent).

As long as we do not lie or cheat, your relationships with friends or business partners are genuine and continuing.
    Tuah Bao
    Accountant & Marketing Consultant
    Free marketing idea & advice at https://peopleaffiliate.com/services
    Free web hosting for life at https://peoplewebhost.com/
  • Happy WormHappy Worm Posts: 3subscriber Member
    tuahbao said:
    Hi Top Shopper,

Have you ever asked a favor from your friends? If you did, then will you agree that you HAD USED them? 'Helping each other' is one of the reasons why you make friends. Does that define as "using each other?"

Business networking is also about helping each other. For example: I have a problem, but you have the perfect solution for me. You help to solve my problem and I reward you for your time and effort spent, which is a fair deal. we both progress further and achieving win-win situation.

You make final decision to accept or reject an offer or request, thus no one can really use you.

I would say everyone has a commercial objective when it comes to business networking. On the other hands, you can choose to achieve both commercial and non-commercial objectives by making friends.

Non-commercial objective, such as go for a movie with friends or have a drink at bar.
    Commercial objective, such as you start a cafe business and you wish your friends to support your business. Or you wish your friends can buy insurance from you (as an insurance agent).

As long as we do not lie or cheat, your relationships with friends or business partners are genuine and continuing.
    Good explanation!