WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Difference between making friends and networking?

topshopper19topshopper19 subscriber Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2018 in Grab Bag
Hello,

making friends (close friends) requires a mixture of things: vulnerability, sharing of experiences, time investments, being there for each in good and bad times, revealing the real you etc etc.

I have noticed that "networking" is also about BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS.

The only difference i've found is that "networking" is about gaining something at some point in the future. You invest time in someone so that you can USE THEM at some stage later on.

Do you guys agree? Can someone please explain to me the differences between making friends and "networking"?

Thanks

Comments

• Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member
    Hi Top Shopper,

Have you ever asked a favor from your friends? If you did, then will you agree that you HAD USED them? 'Helping each other' is one of the reasons why you make friends. Does that define as "using each other?"

Business networking is also about helping each other. For example: I have a problem, but you have the perfect solution for me. You help to solve my problem and I reward you for your time and effort spent, which is a fair deal. we both progress further and achieving win-win situation.

You make final decision to accept or reject an offer or request, thus no one can really use you.

I would say everyone has a commercial objective when it comes to business networking. On the other hands, you can choose to achieve both commercial and non-commercial objectives by making friends.

Non-commercial objective, such as go for a movie with friends or have a drink at bar.
    Commercial objective, such as you start a cafe business and you wish your friends to support your business. Or you wish your friends can buy insurance from you (as an insurance agent).

As long as we do not lie or cheat, your relationships with friends or business partners are genuine and continuing.
    Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• Happy WormHappy Worm subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    tuahbao said:
    Hi Top Shopper,

Have you ever asked a favor from your friends? If you did, then will you agree that you HAD USED them? 'Helping each other' is one of the reasons why you make friends. Does that define as "using each other?"

Business networking is also about helping each other. For example: I have a problem, but you have the perfect solution for me. You help to solve my problem and I reward you for your time and effort spent, which is a fair deal. we both progress further and achieving win-win situation.

You make final decision to accept or reject an offer or request, thus no one can really use you.

I would say everyone has a commercial objective when it comes to business networking. On the other hands, you can choose to achieve both commercial and non-commercial objectives by making friends.

Non-commercial objective, such as go for a movie with friends or have a drink at bar.
    Commercial objective, such as you start a cafe business and you wish your friends to support your business. Or you wish your friends can buy insurance from you (as an insurance agent).

As long as we do not lie or cheat, your relationships with friends or business partners are genuine and continuing.
    Good explanation!
  • LouBerryLouBerry subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    I guess the difference between networking and making friends can be difficult to distinguish at times because they're both relationships in which you help each other out. The biggest difference for me is that with friends, it's often more personal things you share; whereas with your network, you share tips in order to help each other progress further in the business world.