WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Do you like Telemarketers?

yourNAMEinDotComyourNAMEinDotCom subscriber Posts: 17
edited January 2007 in Marketing
If SPAM is illegal, why hasn`t telemarketing been made illegal?Don`t tell me you don`t see the glaring similarities.Today, a telemarketer called me and after he made his pitch, I asked him:"So you`re telemarketing?""No," was his reply, which tripped me off even more because he`s not even willing to admit that he was telemarketing. Reminds me of SPAMMERS. They hate being called SPAMMERS and of course will never admit to being SPAMMERS.At one point, I asked him, "Do you like telemarketers?"He said, "Well, if someone calls me and has a good service to offer at a good price, I would have no choice but to buy from them."At that stage, I should have gotten his name and home telephone number and give it to every telemarketer who calls me in the future. Whatever, they`re selling, I`d say, "Well, I`m not interested but I know someone who will be..." Sorry, I am just venting here.I`d love to hear your views, even if you`re going to disagree with me. If you are going to disagree though, I`d appreciate it if you make sure you have your telephone number in your profile first.

Comments

• Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    I have to admit...I think telemarketing is outdated and just plain annoying! If it is done respectfully...I have no problem listening...and to be perfectly honest...I have even considered a few offers that just happened to sound good. But it seems lately that most telemarketers have no respect. For one thing I don`t even bother listening to a telemarketer who won`t bother listening to me...if you are running through a script so fast that NO ONE could ever get a word in edgewise...then I will simply hang up. Secondly, if I say no...please be respectful...give me a number I can call if ever I am in need of your service...and then LEAVE ME ALONE!!! One of my biggest beefs about telemarketers is their insistance upon calling at dinner time...or after 9:00pm. I have a child who is in bed by 8:30 and I am in bed by 9:00 if I can swing it sometimes...so DON`T YOU DARE call my house after 8:30pm...and SURE AS HELL not after 9:00!!!! Where is the respect!??
    If you can`t respect me as another human being...then there is NO CHANCE you will ever sell me ANYTHING...regardless of how much I might need that product!! There will always be someone else out there who CAN be respectful and sell me the same thing or better! I am willing to pay a little extra and have to go out of my way to find that thing if it means I will get respect as a customer.
    Good topic!!! Thanks for the vent session!
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I really believe telemarketing has a bad rap. The word "telemarketing" has been stamped with a negative connotation. Not saying the stamp isn`t rightfully so.Telemarketing seems to be the last line of the "hard sell." I completely expect telemarketing to continue to exist. However, I don`t expect it to be as fruitful as the upcoming soft sell, internet style techniques.Society will always have the slow comers, but most everyone I know, don`t even give time for the telemarketer to speak. I am polite. They are people trying to earn a living, just like me.On the other hand, I don`t need their "sales or information giving" interruption. When I am looking for the widget, or political positioning information they are offering, I will find them. If their product of information is really that great, I am sure to hear of them and make my own introduction, on my pursuit.
  • Options
    On the other hand, I don`t need their "sales or information giving" interruption. When I am looking for the widget, or political positioning information they are offering, I will find them. If their product of information is really that great, I am sure to hear of them and make my own introduction, on my pursuit.
    Hey Vincent,
    I agree...but some "telemarketers" would argue that maybe you didn`t KNOW you needed this product until they called. I actually did telemarketing for about 3 months...one of the worst jobs I have ever had in my entire life. I am at least respectful to most telemarketers...until you are disrespectful to me. I think the problem is...most telemarketers are treated so horribly...by the time they get to you or me...they are in a REALLY foul mood! With good reason...I had one guy who basically tore me a new one just because I happened to dial his number and interrupt him in whatever it was he was doing. I actually thought his reaction was a BIT much to say the least...but sooooo many people react that way...when it is just as easy to say "please take me off your list" or "thank you, but I am not interested"...and the ever popular simply hanging up is even preferred to having your head chewed on for 5 minutes just because your boss handed you a list with his/her number on it!
  • Options
    What has me really baffled is why would someone use a marketing method that is known to be such a great annoyance to so many people?Vincent, maybe you could share why you think telemarketing won`t go away? I`m not being cheeky. I really want to know. (That`s one of the limitations of written communication. You can`t hear my voice. I sincerely want to be educated.)And what about the legality? Are there any attorneys in the SuN community? Telemarketing in a sense is worse than SPAM because - as Kim rightly pointed out - there is an interruption with a phone ringing. And although it annoys the out of you, it does not disturb you in the same way. SPAM is illegal, why isn`t telemarketing? What would it take? A petition? Where do I sign? I genuinely would like to know if there`s anyone at all who likes telemarketers. Really, I do. It`s not a rhetorical question. I`m curious to know if I`m wrong, weird or some kind of alien.
  • Options
    I have been registered for as long as I can remember...and I still got calls when I had my house phone. The problem now is companies that you are already a customer of...I don`t think the rule applies then. So for instance...I have my mortgage through Countrywide and for the past three months I have gotten a call from them at least once a week...at minimum...generally once a day...asking if I want to refinance. So...in the sense that I got rid of my home phone because I was ONLY getting telemarketing calls on it...and the fact that nonprofits are exempt from the policy...and the fact that companies you are a customer with are exempt...then I would say NO...doesn`t work all that well.
  • Options
    That actually helps considerably...not having numbers listed for them to call.
    If I remember the rules of the regulation here in the US...you have to get the name of the company and keep track of the calls. And technically under the law they have 1 last called allowed to them before they are no longer allowed to call you...or something silly like that. Then you have to keep track of who called you...send the complaint into the board...blah blah blah blah!! The reality is...no one is going to spend the time to do all that is required to make it actually stop. Not to mention...the companies would probably get this tiny slap on the wrist and told not to do it again...which is hardly motivation to not do it again!
  • Options
    Unfortunately...some cell phones are blocked too, and my doctors` offices get blocked...it is really rather frustrating! There really is no good way to do it...unless you get rid of your phone! HAHAHAHA!!  Luckily...minus the mortgage company...I haven`t gotten much on my cell phone!
  • Options
    Wow boiseboys and I thought I had it bad.   I don`t know who steve is but if he or it is a SuN member, perhaps you should inform the Chief Community Officer.
  • Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14

yourNAMEinDotCom
    ... Since you asked, I will expand on my reasoning for telemarketing forever existing.I believe it is likely, there will be a phone type of communication system in society forever. People always need to communicate. It`s one reason the human race has achieved in the ways it has. Therefore, if there will always be a "phone" to connect with people, there will always be a soft hearted or easy to convince person on the other end. Telemarketing is similar to any other occupation on the planet. it involves hunting. The telemarketer is hunting the type of person open to, or susceptible, to their sales pitch. Even when a hunter hunts a species which is going extinct, you eventually take home a kill.So, if there are phones, there are telemarketers. The lazy ones use the recorded message system. When that happens to me, I automatically hang up. If they don`t think their product or message is important enough to take the time to talk to me personally, they why should I listen to it? Then again, I don`t listen to the telemarketers anyway.
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    I play games with telemarketers. Sample script:
    Me: "Doctor`s office."
    Them: "Good evening Mr... have I got an offer for you."
    Me: "Are you the man who called earlier, about the [unpleasant condition].
    Them: "No..."
    Me: "Oh there`s nothing to be ashamed of, you probably caught [unpleasant condition] while you were [embarrassing activity].
    Them: "There must be a mistake..."
    Me: "I`m sure there`s no mistake. You should come in immediately. Treatment will involve ... [unpleasant treatment]. [Here`s where I ramble until they hang up.]
  • Options
    JoetheRoadWarriorJoetheRoadWarrior subscriber Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed the comments about the "infamous" Telemarketer - I am waiting for Steve with abated breath!!!  LOL
    My brief story: I try to keep the Telemarketer on the line as long as possible. A few years ago, my two sons were with visiting me and they just were laughing all the time - I set the record - a Telemarketer called, I had one of them set a Stopwatch and they timed me - 1 hour 29 minutes. I found out the Telemarketers life story, I told him all about my travels in 54 countries throughout my career and you want to know the best????
    At the end, I referred him to a business colleague of mine and he got a "real" J-O-B!!!
    Isn`t life grand after Corporate America????
    Have a great weekend and a successful New Year.
  • Options
    LOL!!! I have heard so many stories about what people do to telemarketers. boiseboys...I get two similar calls at my day job. One is from "Sara"...who honestly...I would just like to strangle...she has one of those voices like the chick from Office Space..."Corporate Accounts payable......Just a moment!"...and the other one is Matthew. The problem with these callers is that because they aren`t real...you can`t tell them to take you off the list...you can`t tell them you aren`t interested...your only defense is to simply hang-up and await their next call. For me...I get both of them about twice a day. Every so often there is a lull in their calling routine...and then it starts again...but never more than a couple of days. Ahhh...yes...if I ever find "Sara".....well...anyway...
  • Options
    TSommTSomm subscriber Posts: 1
    I remember reading the rule of multiple offenders: Once you place your name on the Do Not Call list, it takes time for it to trickle down to all the telemarketing companies.  If they call and you ask them to take you off their list, they MUST do it.  If they call again, record their name/number and register it online. US Complaints here:  https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspxThe problem I`ve run into is that no one shows their company name or number on caller ID anylonger.  It`s always "Unknown Name" or "Unknown Number".  It just doesn`t work to register a "000-000-0000" phone number.My biggest complaint is acquiring a new phone number.  Last year I got a  new number for my business as well as a fax line.  Well, whomever had these numbers before I must`ve been late on their payments EVERYWHERE!   No matter how often I explain this is a new number and Mr. Smith can`t be reached at this number anylonger, they just call and call.  Do Not Call doesn`t work in this case because those companies have a legitimate need to call for Mr. Smith.  I`ve even got calls from the library and Blockbuster about overdue rentals.Anyone know what to do in this case? 
  • Options
    TSomm, you`ve given me an idea.How about a radio show?Any of you remember Crank Yankers? How about taking those calls and having some "fun" with the telemarketers while recording them?What do you think?
  • Options
    PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    When I get a live telemarketer, I like to tell them that I`ll need to get a pencil to write down all the good information that they have for me; could they please hold while I get one?  I quietly set the phone down and then go about my business.  Eventually, the handset will be beeping loudly, letting me know that I can hang the phone up. 
    I actually had one individual stay on hold for over 15 minutes..... you should all thank me... that`s 15 minutes he wasn`t calling you!