WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Want to start this e-commerce clothing business. Do you think it can work?

90sWill90sWill subscriber Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone,

I have 4 years experience working in digital marketing, and I have just left my most recent role to create and pursue my own business. I'm a young, extremely ambitious and determined to move away from the typical process in order 'to be successful'.

I have a few ideas which I have been thinking of pursuing, but it's so hard to find the right business partner and or mentor to join me on aspired ventures - so I have thought of one particular idea that I could solely own and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether this could work, or if I've missed the boat.

Retro 70s, 80s and 90s clothing brands are becoming increasingly popular and certain items are proving very hard to get. I have a few contacts which could provide me a heck of products that are retro/ vintage for a cheaper price than they sell. I also am very up to date with the latest 'clothing drops' that come out, so I could buy the stock and sell them for a higher price once out of stock.

I could set up my own e-commerce store along with social profiles, but I just can't work out if I have missed the boat on this one as others are already doing something similar. My digital marketing, SEO, PR, content marketing and influencer marketing is very strong but I am not sure if I'm too late to get involved.

What do you think?

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited June 2017
    Welcome to the community, @90sWill

Here's the thing: it's never going to feel like the right time to start your business, but right now is always the best time to start. The more you delay it, the least likely you are to actually do it. 

I don't think it's too late to get into the retro clothing game, however, if there is a lot of competition there, you need an advantage over the competitors. Whether that be prices, quality, exclusive items, unique loyalty program, etc. Something that will make you stand out as the place that can best solve consumers' problems in your field.

I would also suggest reading up on this articles from StartupNation's content side: The 10-day plan for launching an e-commerce startup

Hope this help.
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Charles LucasCharles Lucas subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Hey 90sWill,

For startup business I like to ask 2 questions.

1. Do you fill a need or fix a problem?
    2. What separates you from your competition?

Even if you do not fill a need in the market (ie: the idea is not new, there is already companies doing this etc..) if you have something that sets you apart from the competition in a positive way you can still be successful. Consumers always want better.

eCommerce retail for clothing is so huge and such a wide market there is not going to be any dominate market share that is impossible to pull from for a boutique type store/idea like this. With the right product and marketing approach it can work.

One thing I would tell you is just start doing it, start working on it right away. What you will be surprised with if you do this, is you will actually start to adapt your own methods to work around and answer any of the questions or reservations you had.
  • leonhamperleonhamper subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Hi 90sWill,

I feel like I am with a similar boat like you are. I feel like I am never going to be ready to start an entrepreneurial career because I always fear that it will not work. But I have came to realize that unless you try, you will never really know if it will work or not.

50-50 situation. Fail or success. If we think we will fail, what if we will succeed? I am happy that I am able to come across your story today. Somehow it gives me motivation that I am not the only one who is thinking of starting a new life. You give me a reason to try it because you will. In school, it was taught that one of the best trait entreprenuers have i

I also hope that my knowledge and experience in internet marketing will be a great help. Good luck to you!
  • CarlbrewsterCarlbrewster subscriber Posts: 160 Silver Level Member
    Hi 90Will,

Well in my point of view, the clothing industries is pretty big and there are already many brand in the market who are also offering retro clothing, I think it's a big risk, and also one thing you said you have a strong knowledge of SEO, PR, content marketing and influencer marketing why not offers these services, there  are plenty of customers out there who required these kinds of services.
  • priscillapriscilla subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    Hi 90Will,

I have myself started a business into fashion about a year ago. I am still early stage, but we are making significant progress. I agree that the fashion industry is very competitive but if you have a point of differentiation, why not?

Rihanna did not think that they were already too many make-up brands on the market, she just went for it.

Okay, we are not Rihanna so it might not be as easy as it has been for her but the massive success of Fenty Beauty show that they were still some room for another makeup company.

My point is if you feel, you are going to offer something unique to the world then you should do it!

Best,
    Priscilla
  • pandeyxshreyapandeyxshreya subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    90sWill said:
    Hi everyone,

I have 4 years experience working in digital marketing, and I have just left my most recent role to create and pursue my own business. I'm a young, extremely ambitious and determined to move away from the typical process in order 'to be successful'.

I have a few ideas which I have been thinking of pursuing, but it's so hard to find the right business partner and or mentor to join me on aspired ventures - so I have thought of one particular idea that I could solely own and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether this could work, or if I've missed the boat.

Retro 70s, 80s and 90s clothing brands are becoming increasingly popular and certain items are proving very hard to get. I have a few contacts which could provide me a heck of products that are retro/ vintage for a cheaper price than they sell. I also am very up to date with the latest 'clothing drops' that come out, so I could buy the stock and sell them for a higher price once out of stock.

I could set up my own e-commerce store along with social profiles, but I just can't work out if I have missed the boat on this one as others are already doing something similar. My digital marketing, SEO, PR, content marketing and influencer marketing is very strong but I am not sure if I'm too late to get involved.

What do you think?
    I do agree that it is an excellent idea, and it is always going to seem like a threat before opening up a start up but taking the leap is just a tiny step and endurance is key.
    So I would suggest you to take the leap and hope you become a successful entrepreneur one day.

All the best!
  • xinzuabxinzuab subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    @Ryan O'Bleness
    i like this.
    "I don't think it's too late to get into the retro clothing game, however, if there is a lot of competition there, you need an advantage over the competitors. Whether that be prices, quality, exclusive items, unique loyalty program, etc. Something that will make you stand out as the place that can best solve consumers' problems in your field."
  • saraluck9090saraluck9090 subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2018

First of all the startups can give you a unique opportunity to affect the history and of course earn good amount of money. I am agree that it is a great idea and it would definitely work. You need to take advantage over the competitors like place order on time,give good quality,give discount and promo codes, free shipping. If you do focus on these things your site would be number 1 site. 

• LogicJoshLogicJosh subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member
    It's worth a shot, just make sure you understand what you're doing and don't jump in the game without knowing anything about eCommerce. Do your research and see how to make your business grow, you're probably going to end up putting in a ton of money before you actually start making a good enough profit that you can live on. It'll take time and money.
  • Diana.kasimDiana.kasim subscriber Posts: 23 Bronze Level Member
    The idea is good, but you need something that would differentiate you from others. For example it could be living a slow life or sustainability, why you choose vintage not only because it's trendy now, but also because you care about the environment or something similar, create story, especially if your from marketing field, you know know like no-one else. so good luck!
  • jordanmcclurejordanmcclure subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Some points for considerations who about to start an online store.

1. Customers– Identify your target audience, once you identified your customer market, then you will able to influence every movement you make with your online store going forward.

2. Shipping– customers have come to expect free shipping; brands that don’t offer free or low-cost options risk shopping cart abandonment. Many top fashion stores online offer free returns. Ideally, you should calculate shipping and return costs, then factor that price into your margins.

3. Specials and Promotions– How do you plan to create demand at low points in your sales cycle? Will you do buy one get offers? Have a subscription plan to stabilize revenue? The types of discounts and specials you plan to offer will affect the complexity of the eCommerce platform and subsequent development you need.

• Noahoscar986Noahoscar986 subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Obviously, it will work. Nowadays people can do prefer to buy from an online store instead of local shops. There are many online fashion accessories stores like eBay, Amazon, mixxmix, reecoupons and many more, They are doing great work in the fashion industry. I personally buy my dresses from Coupon code for Mixxmix, because I trust them.