WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Getting Organized

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoblueRoblue subscriber Posts: 0
    The best way to spend your time is efficiently.  Prioritze what things are most important to the success of your business.  I agree getting organized is primary, but you can become to hyper focused on it.  Look at your skills, some of your paperwork could be done by someone else that is skilled at filing, etc.  As your business grows rapidly it gets more and more difficult to keep it together.  If you need a good business program Quickbooks works for many businesses.  My accountant also helped me set up a daily routine to help me identify what information I needed to keep and how to keep it.  I only file weekly and do it while I`m watching or listening to Tony Robbins CD`s.  That way your able to kill two birds with one stone as they say.  Good luck!

I have been running a home based business for some time now.
     Even though, I am currently trying to
    convert my home based business to a more physical, real, professional location,
    I have had no choice put to polish up my time management and organization
    skills.

However, I believe and have experience that a combination of effective time
    management and organization go hand in hand and are essential to keeping up
    with the paperwork and client needs.

Considering that every element of your business is essential, you cannot afford
    to eliminate some for another.  You must customize simple identify what
    needs to be done, when it needs to be done by, and organize your task in that
    order for starters.

You should also consider purchasing an organizer or daily task diary for the
    effective prioritization of the things you need to get done.  This helps
    you not forget things or miss important deadlines.

Try these techniques as a good place to start.

• Options
    Hi, Marvin
    In response to your original questions, I want to take a minute to toot the horn - again - for Virtual Assistance (VA).  A VA is an administrative partner whose sole priority is working with clients so they become and stay organized by taking away the administrative burdens that running a business can create.  For example, you mention completing all of your paperwork before accepting clients... a VA can do these things for you so you are free to focus on your clients and are able to have more time to dedicate to doing the things you love to do. Of course, a VA can do so many other things - depending upon her/his special skill sets; and I would recommend you check out this option.
    I would also encourage you, and anyone who is interested in collaborating with a professional VA to do your research, talk to at least three potential partners, and take your time to be sure you are a good fit for each other.  The idea here is that you develop a long-term, mutually beneficial and collaborative relationship with your VA.  Most all professional VAs do not design their practices to offer immediate support or emergency management... it`s a committed relationship that helps you grow your business over the long-term with a `right hand` who is as committed to your success as you are.
    Warm wishes for you in getting your practice up and running.  Let me know if I can do anything to help!
    Sincerely,
    Danielle

Virtual Assistants are actually an excellent option for any
    small business or entrepreneur based on their financial position. 
    Actually, a VA can be hired on a project by project basis.  

I have used the services in isolated incidents and have been very pleased with
    the results.

However, there are organization strategies and procedures that any business
    owner can do and be both productive and efficient.

It is possible to stay on top of your paperwork and administrative
    practices.  It just requires commitment and discipline.

• Options
    Thanks Taylor. When I have some money I`m definately going to consider hiring an assitant or a temp.
    I really should organize my paper work. I shudder at the prospect of going through folder after folder trying to find relevant stuff. Is there are benefit to setting aside a day just to "Spring Clean".

I`m most concerned about losing productivity. But if I don`t something now it could get out of control.

I am not the most organized of business owners.  However, I am not that bad.I invested my time and researched recommended strategies and then customized them to suit my objectives.However, just to give you a place to start, how about putting everything that is in the same subject area in one pile.Then put them in order by date, your choice, past to present or vice versa.Then let me know what you are staring at, and perhaps, I can suggest the next move.My point is you can do it, just approach the project one tiny portion at a time.That`s how I started at getting my home based business organized on a very limited almost nonexistent budget.Hope you find the suggestion helpful.
  • Options
    I had a nightmare last night about an old boss reprimanding me about not getting anything done - that`s how much I`ve been beating myself up this week with this exact issue. It seems I work hard all day but don`t feel like I`ve accomplished much at the end of the day. I do tend to write too many lists and get bogged down in the organizing and setting-up instead of the doing.
    The above advice: "do what`s most important to the success of your business first" (paraphrasing..) is very helpful.
    I love the Backpack - thanks for that tip, Steve. It`ll be great for many things including showing photo images that I don`t have on my website (that concentrates only on one area of my work.) Backpack sign-up asks for a referrer code - do you have one/want it entered? What exactly is the `Backpack`?  Care to elaborate?
  • Options
    Marvin,I just ran across a program the other day called ViaCube. They might have what you are looking for, for organizational tools. I might check them out if you haven`t already found a program. I saw on their website (viacube.net) that they have date book/calendar and task applications which might help you keep track of your files, and your clients. Hope this helps.
    Do these services apply to a business that`s struggling or a business that`s flourishing?
  • Options
    NeatReceipts is a good way to digitize and organize your paper.  Full disclosure:  I`m a NeatReceipts employee.NeatReceipts is a scanner and software combination.  There are separate organizers / modules for your receipts, business cards and documents.  The software reads information from your receipts (vendor, date, amount, etc) and auto-populates the corresponding fields.  All data and images are stored in a database so you can conduct searches and run reports.  Majority of our customers are small business owners and they use NeatReceipts to track and manage expenses, run tax reports (the IRS accepts digital images of receipts) and manage contacts and documents.  Please let  me know if you have any questions.  You can also learn  more about the product at www.neatreceipts.com.
    This website sounds extremely enticing and expensive.  Is it?
  • Options

You might also think about the artist market. Those `Art Bins` are really
    the only option for artists to carry around supplies, other than bags and
    backpacks. When I was at art school, everyone had Art Bins (or knockoffs)
    which are nothing more than re-branded tackle boxes.I second what steve is saying. As an art student we usually only have these giant bags to carry our supplies in, or my personal favorite the zip lock bag. If your storage system is less apt to open than a zip lock baggie I`d say you`re in business. This is an organization procedure?  I just want to be clear, a bit confused.
  • Options
    jchoijchoi subscriber Posts: 0
     roblue,The price of NeatReceipts on our website is $229.95.  The product is also available in many office superstores such as Staples and Office Depot.  jchoi2007-10-8 16:46:35