WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

SETTING UP A BAR IN THE US WHEN NOT A US CITIZEN!

maximus77maximus77 subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2009 in Selecting a Business
Hey all

Myself and a buddy reside over in london, u.k. We have a dream of moving out to the US and opening up a blues bar!

Let`s take it as read that we have start up capital at our disposal.Where is the best place to start? How easy is it to obtain bank accounts//visas/a property? Has anyone recently done a similar thing!

I have dreams of sipping bourbon and listening to some buddy guy in my own establishment. I`m worried there will be too much red tape to make it happen!

Any thoughts welcome
maximus7712/15/2008 6:25 AM

Comments

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Just my thoughts on the issue. 
    It might be easier to take over an existing bar than starting from scratch.  In may area for instance, once a site is selected, every new business has to go through the planning and zoning department.  The department makes the determination if the business is a good fit for the particular area.  This can ad months to the process of opening a business.  Then the business has to go before the county commissioners for final approval.  The process has taken up to a year to complete in some cases.  Plus, you have to go through a very long process to get a liquor license for your business.  These license, since there is a limited number issued, can cost upwards of $50,000.00.  Of course cost and the process very from state to state.
    Taking over an existing business would eliminate many of these hoops you would have to jump through to open a new bar.nevadascul12/19/2008 8:22 PM
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    excellent point by nevada - taking over an existing one is much easier and safer. you know what you are getting. you can have the books audited - do your due diligence and hire a CPA.

there is a shortage of liq licenses and can take a while before you make your way up the list. why not just acquire an existing one? as far as property, it is very easy to own property in the USA.

USA is also one of the easiest places to start/incorporate a business in (if not the easiest).  the american dream is well tied to the idea of equal opportunity in a free enterprise system. we welcome your investment here that is, if you still are pursuing the idea given what is happening. but then again, the UK isn`t much better these days, or is it?

good luck to ya