WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Repurposing for my designs

JessDpJessDp subscriber Posts: 1
edited November 2014 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hello,

I have been starting up a business where I repurpose old comic books onto shoes and other accessories. Now that I am taking this business and its starting to grow I wonder if anyone on here would know if I need to license these images or if purchasing them initially covers that? Also, because I am using well known comic books from DC, Marvel, ID and Dark Horse so far, would I run into issues using their characters to market my product? For example, I have done quite a few Batman comic repurposed collage shoes. Whenever I market what I am doing on my facebook or instagram I am hastagging Batman to promote and try and gain more clients.

If anyone has any idea what my steps are here to make sure as this starts to grow that I don't end up in a sticky situation later I would so much appreciate it.

(I attaches a photo of an example of what I do if that makes it a little easier to understand what I am about)

Thank you
Jess D.

Comments

• Options
    AriannaPhillipsAriannaPhillips subscriber Posts: 1 Member
    If the creator of these characters (DC, Marvel, ID and Dark Horse) has the same line of products, probably you will have some infringement issues with them. I suggest that you formally ask for their permissions on using their characters to avoid any legal dispute.