WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

At what point did you quit your fulltime job?

pddurkepddurke subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2014 in Business Planning
I'd just be curious for everyone's thoughts on this subject.

A little background:

I've spent the past 15 years working in the corporate finance world, and have a relatively stable, well-paying job.  In the past 6 months, I've begun working on starting my own business, which will produce an MLB licensed collectible baseball card game.  Samples have been designed, and the license is applied for, and should be finalized in the next 2-3 months, at which point, production and sales will begin.  The samples have been shown to distributors who sell to Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, etc, and much interest has been shown.  The distributors have existing long-term relationships with my manufacturer, who produces a line of football cards, so the distributors were not simply cold-called...numerous in-depth conversations have been had with them about the product.

The question:
I'm curious at what point all of you gave up your full-time jobs (if you had one) and began with your small business full-time.  My wife and I have been having a serious debate about it lately.  She's of the opion that it shouldn't even be considered until years down the road, and once the small business is completely financially stable.  I'm more of the opinion that I'm looking to make this a viable business....not a hobby....and that requires work and commitment on my part...as well as needing to accept a degree of risk.  I don't want the business to fail simply because I didn't devote enough time or energy to it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences about at what point you made the jump!