WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Wrapping my head around how much to charge.

jrperryjrperry subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Business Planning
Hello I am new,

I have started to play around with the idea that I may want to start selling voip services.
This comes from me not wanting to pay the rates the phone companies want to charge.
I have it down to the point where I could see me being able to make a profit.
The only problem is I dont know what I should charge.
I am good with tech and I enjoy it business on the other hand not my strong suit.

I have been looking up various costs such as marketing, IT, HR, and sales as a percent of total revenue to try and make a general guideline for myself. I realize if it is just me I dont need HR and I would also count as the sales department and that I am not going to find definitive numbers. I am looking at this because I dont want to under charge which I could see myself doing. I am also doing this so in the event my business starts to grow I know when I can afford to hire help or contract out. I dont want to sit behind a desk and crunch numbers and if things went really well I would like to use this as a launching point for other things.

Does anyone have information or links to help me set a price?

Right now I am looking at (as a % or total revenue)
IT 10-25%
marketing 2-10%
sales 2-10%
HR 5-10%
profit 10-30%