WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Retial business taking products wholesale

RambergRamberg subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Business Planning
I'm working with a company that has a significant retail operation going right now.  They want to start offering their products to other retail locations and transition to a wholesale structure.  Eventually being 90% wholesale and 10% retail.

Does anyone have any books/literature/courses they can recommend reading to help with the transition?

Thanks for the help Startupnation!!

Comments

• Options
    HSCCHSCC subscriber Posts: 0
    I have end-to-end experience: design-manufacturing-wholesale/distribution-retail. No literature to suggest, just some first-hand knowledge.

Several factors should guide this discussion:
    - # locations/facilities in an area
    - # retail clients both current and potential
    - manufacturer / primary wholesale vendor relationships
    - shipping / transportation logistics
    - cash flow: retail vs. wholesale cash flow can be worlds apart: warehouse, stock inventory, high volume vs. high profit, payment terms for Accounts Receivable / Accounts Payable, etc.

At the very least, I suggest exploring Private Label branding for products sold either in-house or to downstream retail clients.

Whether you are a manufacturer or primary distributor, please take a look at my business - HSCC. We are a contract manufacturer based in South China serving global clients in manufacturing, design and supply chain for over 10 years.

Our website
    www.hschinaconnect.com

Or give us a call
    Hong Kong: +852 35893005
    Guangdong: +86-13822472359

U.S.: +1 941.266.7819

Or send an email: david@hschinaconnect.com