WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

LLC / Married Couple

TheFreshTheFresh subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in Selecting a Business
Hi Everyone,

I`m new to this site/forum and was hoping to get an answer to a hopefully simple question.
I`m starting up a new LLC and one of the few remaining questions I have involves the following;

The reason I`m setting my business up as an LLC vs. a partnership is due to the fact I`d like to limit my personal liability.
To give my wife a sense of involvement however I`d like to give her 50% ownership of the company, the other 50% would obviously be mine.
My wife is currently employed full-time but hopefully in the future she can work part-time for our company. For the next few years though she will be a "silent partner/owner".
Since we`re married we can file the LLC`s tax as a single entity from what I understood.
I was just wondering if there are any downsides or objections to this kind of approach in setting up my business. Is it ok to appoint my wife 50% ownership and a title of say vice president even though she will have 0% activity in the company for the time being?
Is there another way to have my wife`s name on the LLC without her requiring to work for the company?

I hope someone with experience or expertise in this area can assist me.

Thanks!

- James

Comments

• Options
    TheFreshTheFresh subscriber Posts: 1
    That is a helpful reply, thanks Eric, I appreciate it.

I won`t be looking for any outside investments at any point, if at one point someone is interested in purchasing the company I can either sell all assets or just transfer everything over to my 100% ownership.

I`ll await more replies regarding taxation / accounting.
  • Options
    infinique1infinique1 subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I think it is not a wise decision to have partners involve in the company when they cannot commit to it full time. Moreover, relationships can sour at any moment and I don't think you wish to put yourself in the risk of destroying the business in the event both partners cannot see eye to eye in business decisions or personally.