WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Logo Design websites...should I use?

WTucker26WTucker26 subscriber Posts: 7
edited March 2009 in Marketing
   What are the disadvantages of using Logo Design sites like Logoyes.com, etc.  Some say that thay retain the copyright while you purchase the trademark.  They have great material, but I don`t want to buy a logo I won`t own completely.  Anyone have experience here?

Comments

• Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    It`s a nice program to put something together quickly... or just play around with some idea.
    That`s usually all I use in for.

While Logoyes "retains the rights to the symbols" they say the combination of symbols and text you put together allow you to copywrite the logo.

~Roland
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    One of the major disadvantages of using the many online discount logo design sites is the lack of personal interaction with a trained and educated design professional in creating an image that will best serve your specific business in the long term. 
    An additional danger of some other online logo design resource business models is ending up with a logo that was designed by someone other than the designer claiming the work to be their own.  In recent years there have been many cases of the design work of professional designers being "borrowed" by less than professional "designers" and offered as identity design solutions for unsuspecting consumers.  One site was actually offering Xerox`s well-know former pixelated "X" logo for sale on their website. I recently had a situation in which another designer "borrowed" the concept of one of my most successful logo designs and offered a poorly executed version as her own on a logo design site - where other designers I know found their work being offered as solutions without any changes at all.
    Another concern should be the exclusivity of the artwork being offered by online logo companies.  Years ago a company came to me after first having their logo created through an online logo design company.  He had been pleased with the identity until he saw exactly the same supposedly original icon being used by a different type of company in the same city as his business operation.  Their logo had been created by the same online company.
    Being sure that all rights issues are clearly defined is certainly another issue in working with such companies.
    To be fair, I do know of some businesses who have experienced great success by having their business image created by online logo design resources.  I guess it`s really a case of "buyer beware" when investing the future of one`s business in a low-cost or no-cost visual identity. In many cases the "buyer" will be getting exactly what they have paid for...
  • Options
    WTucker26WTucker26 subscriber Posts: 7
    That makes a lot of sense.  It just seemed too easy.  Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    EagleImageryEagleImagery subscriber Posts: 0
    Jeff`s absolutely on the nail.

The other thing to consider is that most if not all of these cheap n` nasty logo sites are the design equivalent of sweatshops...

Not ethical business.

• Options
    DylanODylanO subscriber Posts: 0
    WTucker26 - I`ve not had good experience with the logoyes type sites. At the end of the day, you get a generic logo and, as pointed out, you don`t own full intellectual property rights to that logo.
    I`ve had some experience with http://www.elance.com/ and it was OK. Took quite a bit of time to get the final logo and took a long time to sort through portfolios and proposals. Similar experience with another site - http://www.guru.com/.
    I read about a new company (in U.S. News) that has a different business model. I`ve not had any experience with them, but did take a quick look and was pretty impressed with the quality of the work. And apparently, buyers get to set their own price and select from actual logo designs. Here is the article I read: U.S. News Article about crowdspring.
    Dylan
  • Options
    EagleImageryEagleImagery subscriber Posts: 0
    ^ OMG... some "designers" are STILL using the swoosh...
  • Options
    intronicheintroniche subscriber Posts: 1
    I used logobee.com for the logo of my company.

Never any problems, great service.

Check out my logo here <a href="http://www.introniche.com/">IntroNiche</a&gt;
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    ^ OMG... some "designers" are STILL using the swoosh...

Some do seem to be stuck in LogoHell...
    - J.
  • Options
    tattoo79tattoo79 subscriber Posts: 0
    LOGO DESIGNS

Need a logo? Don`t want to spend alot? I can design a logo for your company that will stand out.  I will submit 3-5 different designs for your approval and you will have all the rights to the logo.  If you are interested you can reply to.. michealchipman@gmail.com
  • Options
    banzaibertbanzaibert subscriber Posts: 0
    I don`t recommend logo design sites. Maybe you should try finding someone who can make a logo for you, I`m sure you can find a lot online even in forums like this. And make sure to sign an agreement about you owning the rights so there won`t be any problems in the future.
  • Options
    will100will100 subscriber Posts: 0
    I was trying to make logos myself. I have some hand on Illustrator but I got little success. Then I gone for logo conversion to quality professional and I am satisfied.
    Thanks
    Will
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    however you go, make sure to get a complete assignment of the logo and some guarantee that the dude selling it to you will indemnify you if there is a legal problem.  have your lawyer look at the agreement [which is not available on LegalZoom].
  • Options
    BlenderhouseBlenderhouse subscriber Posts: 0
    The disadvantages are that 9 times out of ten you won`t get an original mark and more than likely it was just throw together quickly by an inexperienced designer and not custom fit to your business. Most people that I have talked to haven`t had great experiences with companies like that. It is possible to get a good logo, but it`s like a crap shoot.
    The only way I can recommend a site like that to someone is if money is really an issue and there is absolutely no budget available now or in the near future.
  • Options
    UpstackUpstack subscriber Posts: 0
    No contest site here. You work directly with our designers that are at the top of their game.
    If you need graphic design try www.Upstack.com - The only way to hire freelance graphic designers. No more spec! - We invite only the best designers from around the world. No more spec! So this means happy designers for happy clients.
    Get graphic design, logo design, website design, UI design, print design, identity design, pretty much any type of graphic design. Get great quality without the ridiculous agency fees & overhead. www.Upstack.com

• Options
    EricaJohnnsEricaJohnns subscriber Posts: 0
    How about hiring a graphic artist to make you an original logo. That would be best.