WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

E-Newsletter

WTucker26WTucker26 subscriber Posts: 7
edited July 2008 in Marketing
 I am planning to start sending out an e-newsletter targeted at local young professionals (about ages 22-35) that highlights popular networking spots and business events among other things.  I hope to grow the mailing list by word of mouth and eventually sell adds on it to local businesses.  Is something like this already being done? What sort of problems can I expect to run into with this type of email marketing venture? 

Comments

• Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    I know of two e-newsletters that follow a similar business model, but have completely different audiences. One is now worth $130 million and the other is about 3 years old and is worth $7 or $8 million, if I remember correctly. If you had the gumption to grow your idea into other cities, you could potentially make a boatload of cash.

Those e-newsletter success stories are the exception rather than the rule. Keep that in mind. It`s not going to be nearly as easy as you think. Building a successful e-newsletter is tough. Unopen rates have plummetted in recent years. Just make sure you do your homework before venturing into this field. There`s a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Dale King
  • Options
    WTucker26WTucker26 subscriber Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice.  Do I need to form an LLC or anything official beforehand?  Essentially I am sending it out from home, but once it generates an income do I need to have a business entity to support it?