WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

new website

Aloha everyone! I`m brand new to startupnation and was wondering how I
would go about designing my website? Anyone got any good sites to maybe
get templates? Would it be better to design it myself? Basically where do I
start? I`d like to sell stuff around the house for starters. It`d be great to hear
from someone soon. Thanks, Dave.

Comments

• albxalbx subscriber Posts: 1
    Give me a call and my company can help you. You may want to design it yourself to save money if you are capable. In any case, we can design and host it, along with email accounts.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Designing your own site is really not the best way to go about it, especially if you plan on selling items using a secure transaction method. Unless you`re extremely into the technical side of the web, and very good at the visual side, you will find the task to be overwhelming.I suggest you find a good, reliable, designer and back end programmer. I know there are some hanging out on SuN, as well as many across the country. It`s really not necessary to hire people from your own city in this situation. Just do your homework and truly investigate the candidates you feel will work well.
  • onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
    Beast,I agree with some of the other posts about recommending you get some help. Have you set a budget for your website? I planned on getting some help with the design and doing the text myself but at the end of the day I decided to hire someone to do the copy writing because if my site is going to do well I want someone who is a professional at using words to get people to take action. My site just went up and we are still changing some things. My developer overseas is doing a outstanding job. If keeping things cost effective are an issue I would be happy to refer you if you are interested. Regards,John
  • PokermanPokerman subscriber Posts: 5
    Gotta agree with nhgnikole.... craigs list is great for getting rid of  "stuff around the house" and the R.O.I will be much more noteworthy. 
    K.I.S.S.
  • onlineeateronlineeater subscriber Posts: 16
    I understood that he wanted to build a website business. Possibly he needs to get a model prior to thinking of a site. I agree with selling odds and ends around the house eBay and Craigs List will work better than creating a site but if you want a site built when you come up with a model finding a site builder will work well. 
  • nolijseekernolijseeker subscriber Posts: 0
    Designing your own site is really not the best way to go about it, especially if you plan on selling items using a secure transaction method. Unless you`re extremely into the technical side of the web, and very good at the visual side, you will find the task to be overwhelming.I suggest you find a good, reliable, designer and back end programmer. I know there are some hanging out on SuN, as well as many across the country. It`s really not necessary to hire people from your own city in this situation. Just do your homework and truly investigate the candidates you feel will work well.

I couldn`t agree more
  • nolijseekernolijseeker subscriber Posts: 0
  • BeastmasterBeastmaster subscriber Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! Thanks to all of you who replied to my posting a while back.
    Your advice was very helpful and since then I have sold a few things on
    Craigslist. One of you mentioned coming up w/ a solid model for a business
    first and I totally agree. It`d be great to hear from some of you again.
    Aloha.
  • newwardnewward subscriber Posts: 0
    I tell my clients.... If you can tell me what your business does in 30 seconds, then you are ready for a web site.

Define your business
    Identify your customer
    Then market to them
    If you rush the web development, you could end up with something that doesn`t represent you,  or your product/service well at all...
    just my 2 cents