WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

I need your opinions on my logo design!

2»

Comments

• Options
    MarketeerMarketeer subscriber Posts: 2
    I have to admit that I haven`t read through all 3 pages of these posts, but one reply from Nuevolution at the beginning caught my eye. I`d like to let everyone in on a little secret relevant to the conversation.
    Print shops are major con-artists
    ...generally speaking of course.
    One "printer trick" is that full color costs more than 1 or 2 color printing. Printers typically price everything on a cost basis so that they can nickel and dime you to death and keep you from accurately comparing one company`s price to anothers. In short, it sucks...and isn`t true!
    In fact, full color (also known as 4-color printing) shouldn`t cost any more. We`re talking about ounces of ink, not pounds. 4 inks used to make full color printing doesn`t really cost any more than 1 or 2 colors of ink. In some cases, it`s less expensive!
    Full color logos look great! I read some comments about how logos should be simple, look good in one color and full color and also communicate your message clearly. I couldn`t agree more with all of these statements. I`d just like to encourage people to keep from limiting themselves because of a gimmick that printers have used for years.

• Options
    mchutchmchutch subscriber Posts: 7
    I agree with you Vince.

4-color logo or not, I have received a lot of badly designed logos and business cards. Also,
    I would add don`t skimp on the paper. Cheap paper just makes a business
    look cheap. Think about it, a business card is sometimes one of the
    first impressions of your brand. What do you want your brand perception
    to be?

• Options
    RojgieanRojgiean subscriber Posts: 0
    I have a friend that runs a business, and he spends about $5,000 per month to get 10,000 cards!  He uses a holographic base, with metalic letting, and logoing with a secondary metalic fleck.
    I thought he was insane when he got the first set of business cards, and I was right... insanely intelligent!  His business has increased over ten times!
    Card stock and presentation can <i>definately</i> mean the difference between you blending in, or gaining new customers.  Just find what you like, and then see how to make it look as professional as you can within your budget.  ...and don`t forget to allow for marketing via print media in your budget!
  • Options
    ShowboxersShowboxers subscriber Posts: 3
    Your logo has to be able to hit multiple forms of media and not look cheesy. This design works great. It doesn`t have 256 colors in it, its colors appear to be traditional (more web friendly) colors that work well on the webpage as well as print, and if converted to black and white it doesn`t lose any detail. In fact you could take out all of the colors except the black and it would make an awesome single color illustration. The illustration doesn`t need the name under it to hold its own. I personally like it. Its a lot less busy than the last one.
      Thank you Engraver!!  I think it will work out great and I am glad you like it.  I am finding that just about everyone so far who has seen the final logo, do like it and agree it works well with the website!  It does print very well in black and white or even just in browns so I can use it in color printing as well as B/W and it will still be attractive. I am truly very pleased with the artists end result!
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Beth -I do think the final identity image (now on your site) is a huge improvement over the original illustration you invited the SuN gang to review. The end result does look nice as a header on your web site.  Still (I`m with Vincent on this one), I do think it is a much more complicated image than I would ever present/suggest to a client as a true "logo."  When I create a logo for a client I do avoid the "bell and whistle" software treatments used by many - like 3-D effects, bevels, patterns in text, detailed illustrations, etc. Simplicity is the common element in most successful and memorable logo images.  It`s all part of what I was taught in design school 30 years ago as the K.I.S.S. principle of design.  I also make sure a logo is easily reproduced, and has readabilty, down to less than one inch in size.  I let clients know that I am not creating a logo only for their web presence - but also for the stationery, business collateral, advertising signage, possible use as a silk-screened or embroidered image and so much more.  I won`t even consider the color treatment of a logo design until a client has approved the design in black and white.  If a logo is not successful in conveying what is needed/desired in one color, adding multiple colors is not likely to make it any better.  There is also still a need for a logo to reproduce well as a one color image for purposes such as one-color newspare ads, clear and readable photocopies, strong fax imagery and more.I do think the image you selected will serve you well and will be successful in identifying your business.  The creation of a business identity and brand is an evolving process.  Many seem to think the selection of a logo design is something that is set in stone.  Well, it isn`t - unless you literally have the design selected etched or carved into stone.  Logos do often invite or require changes or alterations over time.  I`ve even been asked to re-design several of the hundreds of logos I`ve created during  my career as they may need freshening up after a decade or so, there`s a tweaking of the business name, the scope of the business has changed, or other factors.  It`s all about creating a current image that will best serve a client`s business needs and requirements.Best of luck with your new business image - and thank you for sharing the process with all of us.- J.
  • Options
    Don`t worry about printing as much as you worry about logo branding quality.
    BINGO!And printing a successful (and reasonably priced) project is often the result of developing a good relationship with a printer or print rep.  For the client not familiar with working with print houses it often best to rely on the recommendations of your designer or a designer you know - instead of just running your project down to the corner quick print shop.  I`ve been working with printers for over 30 years and have only run into one real "con artist" - and I never did business with his firm again.  I worked with great large print houses doing press runs of one million pieces on a job.  My favorite print shop is a little two-man, two-color press operation that takes incredible pride in what they allow to go out their door as a finished product.  I have print reps I`ve worked with for 10, 12 and 16 years.  These individuals have become friends who are looking out for my best interests as a business person as much as they are trying to sell their product.  ALWAYS get multiple estimates on a print job.  If you get high bid from a printer with whom you would like to work, take the lower bid of the other printer back the them and ask if they can match or beat the competitor`s estimate.  Sometimes they simply can`t offer a comparable price (often due to some of the reasons Vincent listed in his post), but they`ve always been upfront with me.  I`ve always prided myself in the quality of my design work.  Working with a quality printer just makes me look that much better - and better serves my client`s needs.- J.
  • Options
    aphelionaphelion subscriber Posts: 0
    Your message is getting lost in the gfx.  What are you trying to say with the window and the masonry?  Haus?  Lose it.  I personally like the font you used, but frankly, I find it difficult to read.  Change it.  I used to do this professionally in television.  I always found that less was more when trying to convey a message.  If your message is Boxers, let the Boxer be more prominant.
  • Options

and by the way, these are what you call logo identities; http://misipile.com/
    Thanks for posting the link to Luka`s work.  I`d lost track of the firm`s URL when the company name was changed (from Yellofish) and have often wanted to include some of their work as illustrative elements in articles I write about identity and logo design.- J.
  • Options
    scrappyscrappy subscriber Posts: 8
    David, 

OOPs.. just realized that I began reading on the 5th page... didn`t realize that you changed your design which I LOVE! Congratulations and I`ll make sure to forward the website address to all who own boxers
    I liked the small version... and Beth, I`d look into a different font... it is hard to read.  At least it was for me... by the way, I love boxers   I have a neighbor who has one and she`s beautiful!  I`ll forward your site when it`s done.
    Marcy
  • Options

re: donating time.In defense of Mary, I`m sure she is doing fine as it is and while I`m sure there were good intentions on TJ`s part, it wouldn`t be fair to her to just donate time while sacrificing current clientele at her practice. It doesn`t make her a bad person if she doesn`t. But it takes more time than most people are led to believe to do a logo. I`m not just talking a simple 10 hour of work either guys. The creativity field is often underappreciated but yet it has such a powerful impact on the world we live in. As Fast Company`s latest issue said, "Designers are the new rock stars." Tom Peters and Dan Pink pretty much said the same thing in their books as well. So, big shout to all the creative right brained professionals such as interior designers, graphic designers, web designers who aren`t appreciated by their clients
    H. Dean -So very true.  While I do often give business advice, and serve on informal advisory groups, for the businesses of friends, I seldom have the time to "donate" my services to other for-profit ventures.  I`m always suggesting that "creative types" carefully select nonprofit causes, in which they have a passion, as vehicles for donating their services.  In fact, my bLog-oMotives entry today was on the topic: Designing pro bono projects for "win-win" resultsLoved your "designers are the new rock stars" mention.  I`ve heard it before.  Four years ago I was speaking, as part of a panel of four designers, to over 700 international design industry conference attendees.  At the end of the session a large group gathered around the stage to get our autographs.  When I left to find a book editor friend of mine, I found her leaning against a wall laughing.  She looked at me and said, "You guys are like rock stars!"  I`m still not real comfortable with the autograph thing - but it happens more all the time.By the way, Dan Pink is an incredible speaker.  He spoke at the same design conference two years ago.(sorry for getting a bit off the original topic here)- J.
  • Options
    rickwestrickwest subscriber Posts: 4
    Beth,
    Sorry, but I have to say that I did not like the logo at all.  I found it too busy and very confusing.  Also, your company name did not `Pop` out at me, I had to search for it.
    I also agree with some of the earlier comments about your business cards being very pricey.  I changed my design because of the cost of printing. (now I am considering changing it again)
    Just so you know, I LOVE BOXERS and have one myself.  If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion - ask you artist friend if they could try to draw a 2 color side profile of a boxer with the dog looking at the viewer.  Make his coat brindle and somehow work your company name into the brindle pattern so it pops out at you when you see it.  That would also take care of anyone trying to pirate your logo.
    Good Luck
  • Options
             First let me say thank you to everyone who has posted on this subject!  However, I have found that many people are still referring to the original logo design when posting and not realizing that I changed the logo to the current one being used at www.boxerhaus.com</A> now.   To prevent further confusion I updated the link of the original logo to explain to anyone who goes there that this is not the logo currently being discussed but it is there should anyone be curious to see it.
    Is that a boxer puppy?  It looks a little like a St. Bernard....I might go with a type solution for your logo...and let your products and perhaps reader photos of their boxers speak to the warmth and cuteness of the Boxer...Take another look at the boxer on www.the-petset.com...I think you`ll see we used the AKC standard as our guide.
            Thank you for your input Kim, it is very much appreciated!  And in answer to your question, yes they are boxer puppies and not adult boxers in the logo.  The artist, like myself, is a boxer breeder of several champion boxers and current dog show exhibitor and I feel she has captured the breed very well in puppy form.  She certainly should know the Boxer Standard since she is as involved with the breed as closely as I am.      
          The reason for choosing a puppy for the logo as opposed to an adult boxer was, believe it or not, the ears.  Since boxer people vary on their preference of cropped and uncropped ears, by using a puppy, the artist felt it was safe for both preferences since puppies are naturally born uncropped of course!
           Nice to know there are fellow boxer lovers and owners out there!   The boxer certainly is a breed very near and dear to my heart and it is always a pleasure to "meet" others who have the same passion for these wonderful family members.    
  • Options
    and by the way, these are what you call logo identities; http://misipile.com/</A>
         Thanks HDean!  Great link to give examples of logo identity!  I know the logo I decided on is not streamlined like the examples you shared, but I didn`t want streamlined for my store.  I chose to go with warm, fun, and inviting - at least I hope I accomplished this!   
          With regards to the same, all of the boxer owners I queried outside of SUN on the final logo loved it so I think I accomplished what I had hoped for.  If BoxerHaus.com ever goes corporate, I expect I would then have to change the logo to a more streamlined design but for now, I am content with the one I have chosen. 
  • Options
    robertpatrickrobertpatrick subscriber Posts: 0
    I don't think this business logo design fits to your brand and business you should make it more colourful and attractive in order to gain some thing for your business.
  • Options
    FaaastCashFaaastCash subscriber Posts: 0
    Ya all post are truely good for better and appropriate logo design ,,i also think that for better logo the image you selected will serve you well and will be successful in identifying your business.  The creation of a business identity and brand is an evolving process.  It`s all about creating a current image that will best serve a client`s business needs and requirements as well.