WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

protect-new-idea.com

terrycanterrycan subscriber Posts: 1
edited April 2009 in Website Critique
This web site is for inventors that want to:
Protect, produce, and profit from their ideashttp://www.protect-new-idea.com/ 
My goal is guide people towards the right books and services to help them succeed.

Comments

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    You should probably center the content "column" on the page. So instead of everything hugging the left-hand margin of the page, it is centered so the site compliments different window sizes and resolutions. This site is a great resource for styling and discusses exactly what I`m talking about under the sub-heading "Centered Orientation".
    I think the side navigation is a little graphics-heavy, and perhaps you should consider using text links only for the navigation...it will probably make the navigation look a little less cluttered.
    Good luck!
  • terrycanterrycan subscriber Posts: 1
    DearMatt,
    Thank you for looking at my site. I may try centering the content.
    Do you have any input on the content?
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    With such a   l o n g   list of menu items, it may be hard for your target users to find the right resource... to find what they are seeking.

I see that your home page content tries to steer the viewer to specific links by asking a question... a good approach.  But it is lost because all the text is the same... also, instead of saying "CLICK ON XXXXX" put the link there, it much more user friendly.

My suggestion would be to try to consolidate your menu so you have may be 6 to 10 links rather than 24. 

How? consider your target viewer... where do I start? What do I need?   then help me get there.

The width of the page is rather narrow considering today monitors. 

~Roland
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103

The protect-new-idea website is a vehicle to sell pre-paid legal services.  The only things on the website about inventions are suggestions that you keep records of the project and try to make a model – clay, wood, computer.   
    Oh, the website does say that, if you call the “company” you can get a suggestion on a book or software to buy so you can get a patent yourself.  You can put the words “patent book” and “patent software” into your favorite search engine, buy the books and software, and realize that you have wasted your money because getting a patent yourself is essentially impossible.

Yes, there are a couple of rarely gifted people out there that can read books and learn to fly a helicopter, do their own dental work, perform surgery on their dog without killing said dog, build a motorcycle from spare parts purchased at the hardware store, etc.   Those people are probably out flying their home-made airplane and not reading this or reading patent books.  There might be one or two.  The protect-new-idea website won’t help those people either.

Turning now to the topic of pre-paid legal services, I have been a client in the past.  It’s true that for the approximately $500 or so per year you pay, you might get a little something of value – but not much.  The rules of the service are such that if the legal issue takes even a little bit of lawyer time, you end up having to pay the lawyer anyway.  Read the fine print (which was probably written by a lawyer that was being paid).   
    If you think you are going to get free legal services worth much at all, you are dreaming.  Ain’t gonna happen.  Just like everybody else [e.g. butcher, baker, candle-stick maker], the lawyer has to pay a mortgage and feed a family – and he is going to get the money to do those things from his clients, like we all do.

Turning now to a few specifics, avoid the term “legal contract.”  It is a nonsense term.  Is there a contract that is NOT a “legal contract?”  There might be a contract [and there is] that is not legally enforceable for a number of reasons, but even that is still a contract in some sense.  The term “legal contract” is kind of like the term “medical medication” – it just sounds weird and does not make sense.

It is also interesting to note that the website discusses renter’s rights, identity theft, legal shield [whatever that is], bicycle crashes, and various other topics that also having nothing to do with inventions – further proving the point that the website is about selling pre-paid legal services.

Dear Roland
    Thank you for your input.
    I have been allowing my content to mature and get noticed.
    A more user friendly site is coming.

Dear James

Thank you
    for being so through with your critique of protect-new-idea.com. Getting this
    much attention from a fine company like your is a compliment.

My mission
    is to help people protect, produce, and profit from their ideas. Helping
    inventors educate themselves is part of this. My greatest strength is in the
    area of prototyping and manufacturing. This consultation is for free.

Prepaid
    Legal has been very helpful to me. In the four years of membership the money
    PPL has saved me could pay for at least 10 years of membership fees. The peace
    of mind is priceless. Prepaid Legal has provider firms in 48 American States
    and 4 Canadian Provinces.

If my
    clients can benefit from a Prepaid Legal membership I will be happy to sell
    them one. A membership is paid for month to month. If a customer is not happy
    he or she can cancel at any time.

Prepaid
    Legal is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol PPD. If you
    invested in Prepaid Legal in 1990 it would have been a better investment then
    Microsoft. This is a verifiable fact.

I make my
    money by selling Prepaid Legal Memberships to people that would benefit from
    them and commissions on books that give them the information they need to
    protect, produce and profit from their ideas.

If you would
    like to become a referral firm for Prepaid Legal please contact the corporate
    office in Ada Oklahoma.

If you can spend $500 per year and obtain "peace of mind" you should probably do it - be it with prepaid legal services, guitar lessons, scented candles, tai chi classes, or wine-of-the-month.  It’s hard, if not impossible, to move somebody off something that makes them feel good – such as smoking cigarettes.  The objective merit of doing or stopping such things is easily drowned out by the good feelings. 

My sense is that we can count on one hand the number of people that have obtained a patent with nothing more than the book (that pays you a commission) and the information you provide.   

Dear James
    I paid less than $325 last year for my peace of mind.
    I have viewed your website. It appears you have a successful legal practice.
    Not everyone should attempt to get their own patent.
    For those who are considering patenting themselves I recommend they go to the library and borrow "Patent it Yourself" by David Pressman.
    Knowledge is power. If an inventor understands the patent process he/she will get better service if they choose to use a lawyer.
    Empowering people and watching them move forward and succeed is very satisfying.

Knowledge is power - that is true.  Understanding the process can help the experience of working with with the lawyer - that is true.  Those who submit their own patent applications are wasting time, money, valuable rights and opportunity.
    Dear James,
    Thanks for the kind words!