WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

long time lurker just signed up with idea

theguynytheguyny subscriber Posts: 2
edited March 2009 in Selecting a Business
hey all, I have been reading post on this site/forum for about a year now and figured its finally time for me to sign up.
I`m 24 going to night school full time and tried starting my own computer business with little success.  My buss. partner and myself decided to get a website and advertise on google via a ppc management company. We are paying $60 a month for unlimited clicks with one keyword.  Soon after signing up a one year contract with this company I started doing lots of research on ppc advertising.  I have learned a great deal about it and have been using ppc for some time now with other keywords.
I have been thinking that why can`t I do the exact same thing that this ppc company is doing.  Is there any reason I don`t set up a somewhat basic website that tells about my company putting people on the first page of google with unlimited clicks for a monthly fee?  I figure once I have that site set up and get an account with paypal or someone else who offers recurring billing.  Could I just call up local businesses and offer to put them on the first page of google for a monthly fee?
example - I call up some bbq place in pelham, alabama and say - if someone typed in best bbq in pelham alabama wouldn`t you like to be on the top of the first page of google? I would research the monthly traffic for the specific keywords and set a price based on that.
It seems like there would be very little overhead, which is a good thing for myself at this moment.
on a side note- my computer repair company is number 1-5 on google for about 40 keywords and we only seem to get 1 or 2 real leads a month from it.  Maybe we should try some other type of advertising? Maybe send out flyers to local businesses? any ideas or opinions on anything I have typed here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading and this site is great!theguyny3/23/2009 3:38 PM

Comments

• MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    I`m a bit confused. Are you paying $60 a month for each keyword for unlimited clicks? Have you considered paying on a per-click basis and utilize more than one keyword? You`d probably get a wider exposure for less money this way.
    I can see how the overhead would seem low for your first idea, but I`d imagine that customers would want to appear at the top of google for more terms than just one keyword.
  • theguynytheguyny subscriber Posts: 2
    Im paying $60 a month for one keyword
    computer repairs long islandWe got locked into a 1 year contract for that keyword.At the time both of us didn`t know anything about ppc advertising so we thought this was a great deal.Right now we are using about 40-50 keywords for my comp repair company(these are the ones I set up)If the customers wanted to be on the top of google for more then one keyword they would simply just pay more monthly fees.
  • MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    $60 per each keyword awfully expensive, being that there are tons of keyword variations. I have doubts that customers would be willing to pay $60 each month for ranking for just one keyword.
    If you are interested in PPC, why not learn all the ins and outs of it, then open up a PPC outsourcing service, where businesses can outsource their PPC campaigns to you?