WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need help on which ecommerce host to go with?

stubiestubie subscriber Posts: 1
Hello everyone,
After years of back and forth between my wife and I we are finally ready to go ahead and open our own small business. We plan on launching everything in the early spring with a small shop and online webstore. We live on the central coast of California in a smaller but booming wine area that is frequented by many people from the LA and bay area. The business; a pet boutique for dogs and cats. We have finished gathering all the necessary permits and licenses, LLC, developed a comprehensive business plan, established which vendors and inventory to use, and even have a space to rent in a nice downtown location. The next step is to start to develop a website/store. The problem is I didn`t realize how many different options there were. Having some web experience myself I`ve decided to go the DIY route. (I currently run and design a online EMT program through the local college) I don`t want to jump from host to host either so an all in one setup seems better suited. I`ve narrowed things down to the top four;Yahoo small businessgoemerchantHomesteadgoodbarryI know that there is a lot of great ecommerce hosting sites but I looking for your opinion as to which one is the best for my business. We want to start small but have the ability to grow. Customer service, security, drop point shipping, SEO, tracking, design are all very important. We also don`t want to spend more than about $50/month right now. If you have any suggestions I`m all ears. Maybe you know of a host not on my list that would better suit our needs. This site has some great guidelines that I`m following. The next step is to find a host. Thanks....Stubie

Comments

• Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Typically there are two choices -
    1- An all-in-one ecommerce solution where hosting, DIY framework, and graphics/template are included.
    2 - An ecommerce program that can be installed on a host of your choosing.

Choice #1 - you might not be able to move your store to another host because the ecommerce solution is proprietary. This usually has lower start-up costs,  but costs more over the long term.

~Roland