WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

HOW DO YOU HIRE A NEW EXECUTIVE?

LiveGradLiveGrad subscriber Posts: 1

Is there a specific way to hire an executive? I`m looking for a way to be dilligent and succesful in this process. I need new people for my company and I want the best people to come and help my company grow.

What do you look for? What are the qualifications of someone who can help a start up company move ahead and grow? How much exeperience should they have?

These are just some of the questions that I have and just wanted to get some opinions and advice on them. Thank you in advance for all your help and advice.

LiveGrad10/30/2008 6:40 PM

Comments

• SlowCookerMateSlowCookerMate subscriber Posts: 1
    As a startup I would try to avoid hiring employees.  Outsourcing is great because you can pay for what you need until you get to the point where it is cheaper to hire than to outsource. 

As for who to hire, I like to bring people up through the ranks.  Look around you at the people who have already helped you grow.  You will be amazed at the talents they possess.

• achieveHRachieveHR subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi LiveGrad - as the previous poster pointed out, you may want to consider outsourcing if you`re in the early stages of growth (virtual CFO, etc.) however that may not be the best option depending upon what you are trying to accomplish.  Finding an experienced, successful entrepreneur to mentor you at this stage would be great.  I think a mistake that many start-ups make is that they focus too much on the technical skills/expertise of the people think they need, as opposed to finding people who share your values and are passionate about the business. 
    You could consider working with an outsourced Human Resources consultant who can help you strategize about your hiring needs, as well as find the right candidates to help you grow your business.  If you`re interested in talking, you can reach me at maria@achievehr.net