Good biz name? Tell me the truth.

shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
edited November 2007 in Marketing
Hello. I`m starting a marketing and public relations firm. I would like to know if this is a good name: Sweet Potato Communications. Provide your input and suggestions. Thanks.
Shayla

Comments

• MackVVVMackVVV subscriber Posts: 0
    It would help if you give us some more info about your kind of business. What justifies your choice of "Sweet Potato"? Does it signify for anything?As is, it doesn`t have much impact
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Just don`t choose something that is generally considered negative, like "Adolf Communications" (That domain is available, by the way, and not surprisingly).

I realize you`re only trying to make a point, and I may be nitpicking a bit here. But actually, there isn`t a  problem with the name Adolf, in-and-of-itself. In fact, it`s the name of one of the most popular meat tenderizers in the world. I even have some in my pantry.

http://lawrys.com/main/product.aspx?ProductId=146

And even though it`s a slightly different spelling (Adolph), many people don`t know the difference. Besides, it`s pronounced exactly the same way. In addition, Google has over 3 million pages that contain the name Adolf. And they`re not all about Hitler.

Now the name Hitler would be a problem. But Adolf is fine. My point is there are obviously exceptions to every rule. But I agree, you should try to stay away from a business name that has a negative connotation.

Dale King
    DKing11/13/2007 10:56 AM
  • shayla2004shayla2004 subscriber Posts: 19
    My tag line is: "Satisfying your marketing and public relations cravings" Shayla
    It would help if you give us some more info about your kind of business. What justifies your choice of "Sweet Potato"? Does it signify for anything?
    As is, it doesn`t have much impact

It`s going to be a marketing and public relations firm. I wanted something dealing with food and l like sweet potato pie. I then market myself as a Southern firm that will serve you with hospitality. Would it be better to have a name like, Dynamic Communications? Provide suggestions. Thanks.
    Shayla
    Okay - now I like it.  The tag line makes all the difference.
    What kind of logo will you use?

I have no idea. Any suggestions?
  • LisaLLisaL subscriber Posts: 0
    I don`t mind the business name, but I don`t like the tag line at all. "Satisfying your marketing and public relations cravings" sounds like you`re trivializing what you do. Marketing and PR are necessary, they`re not merely done on a whim. If you turned it around to be "All the things you crave in a marketing and pr firm" it still references cravings and your business name, but also speaks to the Southern hospitality and service maybe not found in other firms. As for a logo, a designer will need to know considerably more about your business, your target audience and your competitors before offering meaningful suggestions. Good luck.Lisa 
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    I like both the name and tagline.  I think both convey that you are a warm, friendly, down-home type of individual with whom clients would feel very comfortable.  Both project an invitation to a collaborative working relationship, and an element of implied trust, lacking in the name and taglines of so many firms.
    Good luck with the venture - and adventure!
    - J.
  • Jaun22Jaun22 subscriber Posts: 0
    I think it sounds like a great name for a business.
  • AgnesVAAgnesVA subscriber Posts: 1
    Its great that you are trying to give your business a unique/vibrant personality and not necessarily going the traditional route. Jeff Fisher couldn`t have summed it better.
    Do strongly consider Sweet Potato "Marketing."
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Do strongly consider Sweet Potato "Marketing."

I think "Communications" works better than "Marketing."  "Communications" would seem to give a business much more flexibility in doing writing, public relations, media work, advertising and more.  "Marketing" almost has a negative connotation to many people - too many people calling themselves "marketers" do a great job of turning off customers by being the "damn glad to meet you, stereotypical used car salesmen" types - and then some get confused with MLM individuals.
    By the way, there`s been a great deal of online discussion, discussion at design conferences, and a number of articles written, about graphic designers adopting the term "Visual Communications" to replace graphic design - because it is a clearer, more general description of what graphic designers actually do in their work efforts.
    - J.