WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Please help me with my business idea

SWRSWR subscriber Posts: 2
Hi all,I`m new to the Startup Nation, but it looks like a very close knit community and I look forward to participating.  I`ve been toying with the idea of starting a business for a while and just haven`t taken the step to do it.  I have been developing Database Applications for 5 years now at a health insurance company, and I want to take my experiences and use them as an independent consultant.  My thought is that I can target small business entrepreneurial types to propel their businesses into new areas by helping to automate their manual processes, and to make their data more accessible.  I think this is a good idea, because most consulting firms seem to target large companies.I`m not quite sure how I want this to work and I need some help figuring out a good business modal.  My original thought was to work with five different companies, contracting with each one of them to work a day a week.  This could be beneficial because it is likely a small business can`t afford a full time database programmer, or else they would probably have already hired one.  The other thought is that I would work on a more traditional project basis where once I`m done with one I`d move onto the next.I really just need some input to see if there is any value to this sort of thing at all.  I don`t have much desire to stay in the bureaucratic corporate world, and working with a large consulting firm seems like it would be more like treating the symptom rather than the problem.Thanks in advance.Shane
SWR2007-2-5 20:41:53

Comments