WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Free!

misterwicks2006misterwicks2006 subscriber Posts: 11
edited June 2006 in Marketing
do you believe that if i gave promo.s away for FREE, it would help biz. can you share some examples or links?
eg.s
RadioShack - Free Batteries!!
NetZero - Free Dial-up!!
Free toys on Fill-up!!

Comments

• Options
    vietitalivietitali subscriber Posts: 4
    Well .. my husband wrote a book and sales have far disappointed us.  My husband contacts people all the time to see if they`ll do interviews on their radio or newspapers or sell his book in the store. .. Everyone wants a FREE book .. this got me pretty discouraged, but his brother (who is a lawyer and happens to be the senior clerk of a supreme court in pa) says that it makes a lot of sense.  He said he`d expect nothing less then giving free books to people who are in the "position" to spread the word ..
    So, seeing that we have over 200 books just sitting in boxes in our home going nowhere, this is definately changing my mind on what we`re to do when someone says "may I have a book?"
    Also, I read in the Writer`s Digest that its ok to give some things for free b/c it`ll make your customers wanting more from you and you`ll be the first person they think of when they want __________
    --whatever my 2 sense are worth
  • Options
    digitalvision313digitalvision313 subscriber Posts: 3
    Giving away stuff is good, as long as it`s a good draw.  Make it a contest or reward... give it value.  Just make sure the promotion makes sense; that it goes with what you`re doing.As to the book example, I think it`s a little different.  You need to give complimentary copies of your book away to media and the like; that is how the game is played.However, it`s starting to sound like in your situation you need to do some grass-roots horn-tooting, and do a giveaway of a different sort.  It sounds like from the link you posted what your husband is into is a niche market... if it were me, I`d use that to my advantage.  I know people who are crazy about the topic he writes about and can`t get enough of it.  Does he blog?  A niche market is perfect for that kind of thing.  No, probably won`t make any money off the blog, but if he can get a following that equals audience and that equals (maybe) buy the book.At 11:18p I make no warranties or guarantees - just random thoughts from my corner, take`em or leave`em but either way the very best of luck!
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    What is your product or service?

Also, what exactly is www.give.com?
  • Options
    davennydavenny subscriber Posts: 2
  • Options
    Thanks and that was great stuff!! Actually, why i`ve decided
    to do is - to challenge myself to sit down at the kitchen
    table and by using my imagination - make money!
    about www.give.com</A>: that`s weather info. - I was
    trying to set the link in through a practice run. But,
    I hesitant to do a real link because of my Nationstartuprating is divided. And I really don`t care to have
    people see my trial and errors on here!!
    I`ve done 56 submissions with some good
    stuff, but I know that not everything will fly.

thanks.
  • Options
    EmeraldEmerald subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi everyone, I just found this forum and I`m really enjoying browsing the topics.
    Giving away something free is a great way, however, it must be of value to the target market you want to attract.
    One thing about free information is that is must be of excellent quality.  People will judge your free item and decide if they later want to purchase what you have to offer.
    Michelle
  • Options
    I believe what you are saying, but i think it is a shamethat Rolex,Jaguar,Princeton do not give out freebies!!
    (another words, big quality - no upfront!)
    Is it a mistake? I don`t know.
    Does anyone know any outstanding merchantgiving a way freebies? I`d like to know??
  • Options
    EmeraldEmerald subscriber Posts: 0
    ooh ooh, can I put my request in for a rolex AND a jaguar
    There are a few places that give away freebies as a way to entice you to try their products.  For example, software companies, such as macromedia and others will allow you to download a fully functional version of their software to test it out.
    I personally like this "freebie" method, as I`m able to use the software first and see if it really meets my needs --- but then when I purchase, I guess it wasn`t free after all.
    Michelle
  • Options
    yeah, sometimes I take the limited Free!upfront - eg. use a car for a weekfor serious buying consideration.
    I tried once and they wouldn`tput hubcaps on it, however...
    I have a woman relative whomuses multiple dealships loanersuntil she makes a decision.
    also, I like deals where I canreturn if not totally satisfiedas long as I am sincere about offer.
  • Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    Rolex and Jaguar don`t have to give out freebies. They already have
    what we want. A reputation for quality built on decades of sales and
    customer service.

We, on the other hand, who are vying for the attention of potential
    customers, can often reach them by giving away a sample. We give away
    samples of our Great Taste Gluten Free cookies at stores where they`re
    sold as well as at Celiac Disease support group meetings.

I`m currently looking for some single serving packaging so we can have
    samples available even when we`re not there in the store to hand them
    out.
  • Options
    Yeah, i found a left-over smell goodChristmas kit at the local drug store(after shave etc.)
    It was a package normally selling at mall
    and featured high-end labeling. They threw-in
    a tire guage with dupont sticker as a free bonus!
    Some of the high enders typically give away
    another unrelated item as add-on. I guess that`s
    my point,here.