WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Sell to Big Box Retailers

2»

Comments

• Options
    ethnicommethnicomm subscriber Posts: 1
    Are the parts branded SaunaKing? If you go direct, you will destroy your relationship with the distributors. You might want to propose that they act as your branded product distributor as well - negotiate a reduced rate and have them help you grow your brand.This will allow you to learn more about the supply chain and how things like returns are handled.I would seriously think about what role your online business will play in future.
  • Options
    bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    SaunaKing is the video clip at your home page your company or your supplier?
  • Options
    SaunaKingSaunaKing subscriber Posts: 2
    It is our factory based in China.
  • Options
    I think this should be clearly explained on your home page somewhere around the video player.  Since the company names are different it looks like this is where you get your products.  This would give a big retailer the wrong message and make them think they could go directly to that company and leave you out of the deal.  If at all possible you should show your company name in the video not the unknown one.  Otherwise this a very mixed message that will detour many customers, both retail and wholesale.  It is my opinion that this is true even though it is a very good video.  I hope this input is helpful.  Noticed this when I was shopping at your site today so I thought I would let you know...bert2007-7-10 13:1:16
  • Options
    I am sure there are many sites like this one, but recently I found a site that is selling through big box retailers.  They are doing what I have been suggesting as the way to do it right.  The site is http://sunforceproducts.com</A>.
  • Options
    This is one of our OEM clients, sell in Homedepot, Costco and Wal-mart.  SaunaKing2007-7-19 16:36:45
  • Options
    I am really confused now.  Where does one purchase your products?  I know you say places in this thread but you have not given your visitors a clear path to purchase.  When you go the the site the SunForce site you just click on "Where to Buy" from any page and you know.
  • Options
    KB buys from our factory in china and distributeds to retailors. Now our factories are making our own brand "saunaking". In the long run, what we want to do is slowly eleminate KB so to speak cutting of the "middleman". Therefore, "SaunaKing Products" business structure or strategy should somewhere close to KB.
    At the moment, for the compnay to "survive"--pay high warehouse rent, employees, etc, we would have to do some retails thru our own website.
    KBhas been doing this for over 20years. Yet, we are brand new to American retailing market. There are some "prices" we would have to pay before finding the right path.
     SaunaKing2007-7-19 16:36:13
  • Options
    I don`t think you need to have a warehouse, rent, employees etc and you certainly don`t need to sell online.The large retailers will do an DI program with you - let then commit to a container and pass on the savings to them. You get an LC first, produce to order as per their pickup date and minimize the risk.There are many examples of 20 year old companies getting clipped by innovative and aggressive companies that know how to make it work using current technology and know-how!How do you know that KB`s business strategy is the best? What if another mfgr from China decides to do exactly what you are doing but goes direct? Then you have TWO issues - phasing out the middleman while combating a new entrant into the marketplace.
  • Options
    AlexoAlexo subscriber Posts: 0
    Dear ethnicomm,
    I am the corporate sales manager for a computer manufacturer, who is making a new and unique mobility product for the "ultra portable" pc market. This market segment is HOT! I have been only been actively working at getting into big retailers for a month now, and I already have 5 evaluation units in the hands of buyers.I think it is obvious from what I have read that they are interested, as I was able to bypass all the typical application processes etc. The thing I am  having trouble with is getting feedback from them. How can I make them get off the fence and take action? I was initially encouraged by their obvious interest, but am getting frustrated. 
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Alex
  • Options
    As a former buyer, I would not suggest sending an email and being so direct. Buyers are busy but if you`re proposal is compelling, they will think about it. The reason is that they do not want to miss an opportunity to differentiate or risk being embarassed that a hot product is carried at their competitor. When the boss asks "did you know about this product" the buyer does not want to say "yes but I was too busy to check it out".
    I would suggest a voice mail - it`s harder to ignore than an email. The key is capturing their interest so they DO return the call.