WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

google checkout, paypal, credit cards

fishermanfisherman subscriber Posts: 2
Hey guys,

I have been an avid reader of sun but this is my first post.  Recently I launched my website and as payment methods I accept paypal, google checkout and credit cards.   What is your opinion regarding just offering paypal and google?

Thanks,
Michael 

Comments

• fishermanfisherman subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks for responding.It is fishingtrail.com
  • MrbusinessMrbusiness subscriber Posts: 8
    Google checkout is great! Paypal most common.  You can also ....it is 2 check out.  Just google it.!!!
  • TexaderoTexadero subscriber Posts: 0
    The more payment options you give customers, the less likely you are to exclude potential sales. While Google Checkout and Paypal are probably the easiest to setup, getting a merchant account will allow a lot more flexibility in collecting credit card payments. For example, you can make the payment process seamless with the rest of your site.
  • rookapsrookaps subscriber Posts: 10
    We use only Google Checkout and Paypal on our site  (http://www.rookaps.com</A>).  It works out pretty well especially since Paypal no longer requires membership.  We thought about obtaining a regular merchant account, but for the amount they charge, we just assume stick with the Google Check and Paypal.
    There have been a couple of instances where corporate customers are not allowed to use  their  company issued card on Paypal transaction.  In that case we requested payment by check or we accept purchase orders.  I don`t think we have lost any business because of this.

rookaps2008-1-21 6:31:18
  • Xsd01Xsd01 subscriber Posts: 0
    One thing many online shoppers enjoy about paypal is that you can pay without ever giving your credit card number to the site, which is something that I believe helps many starting sites. However, I agree with Joe, the more options you have for payment the better off you are. Right now your using Google Checkout and Paypal, which are both great and Google Checkout definitely has the ability to give Paypal a run for its money. As for the credit cards, it looks like your using Authorize.net, which I`ve used for awhile now and think they`re a good company and their support team has always been very friendly and helpful when I`ve needed them.

I think you`ve got a pretty good combination as it is.

My only suggestion would be to add your header to the prestostore pages, as keeping a pretty unified look from page to page can be aesthetically pleasing to visitors and helps them know they`re still on the same site.
  • tommyjeanstommyjeans subscriber Posts: 4
    The more payment options you give customers, the less likely you are to exclude potential sales. While Google Checkout and Paypal are probably the easiest to setup, getting a merchant account will allow a lot more flexibility in collecting credit card payments. For example, you can make the payment process seamless with the rest of your site.

Well said, I agree by offering as many options as possible it will give the customer choices.  Advantage I found with Google & Paypal is that the liability is now on their shoulders and not completely yours.
    I use paypal for my site and works great.
    Google is actually tougher to integrate then described.