WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need to write BYLaws

dellydelly subscriber Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in Business Planning
Thinking of starting a  transitional living home through the state and I am looking for information on how to write bylaws .
Is there a template I could use or a web site that would explain to me how to do it  or exactly what is needed in the bylaws.

Any information is appericated!!!

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Yes, there are some templates for by-laws, but I`m curious as to why you wold need to create them at this stage.
    1. Have you formed a corporation?
    2. Will this business operate as a non profit entity?

• Options
    dellydelly subscriber Posts: 3
    It is a state requirement  and yes I am establishing a LLC
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I don`t know what State you will be filing in - but generally an LLC uses an operating agreement rather than by-laws.
  • Options
    daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    The non profit uses by laws.  And a Board of Directors to make the decisions.  Do lots of homework before you get started.  Profitably running such a home is really, really tough.
  • Options
    ReliableAccountingReliableAccounting subscriber Posts: 0
    You can purchase corporate and LLC kits and stuff at www.corpusa.net.  That would get you a starting point for bylaws (or operating agreement).  However, I would caution you that if your company will have more than one person; then I would recommend contacting an attorney to help in drawing up a buy-sell agreement.  I had a new, prospective client approach me for QuickBooks training recently.  They had just formed a company and were operating, but hadn`t done anything formal other than incorporate.  Well, I helped with the other compliance things they`d need (for example: they hadn`t requested treatment as an S-corp even though that`s what they wanted to be) -- but I also urged them to contact an attorney to get a buy-sell agreement in place.  Going through this exercise convinced them that they did *not* really agree on much and they ended up splitting up.  Two of the three went on to form a different company and they are now my clients.  They`re very glad this stuff was brought forward early in their relationship with the "outed" principle.
  • Options
    bettysuebettysue subscriber Posts: 1
    My first day here, and I noticed this post.  So please excuse me jumping in.  I did a web search for you and came upon this site that has a list of sites with NPO bylaw examples:

http://foundationcenter.org/getstarted/ ... ylaws.html

Good Luck,

betty