WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

OK...here goes nothing (smile!)

missginadesignsmissginadesigns subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2008 in Website Critique
Hello everyone!
I`m very new to the Start Up Nation community and I just recently launched my new online gift boutique venture.  Check it out...  www.missginadesigns.com  - I welcome comments / critique.  *Note*- many years ago, I was a Fine Arts major and so I am very familiar with critiques -Yikes!  I have thick skin...I can take it. (smile!!)
Many thanks,
Regina

Comments

• Options
    chefamychefamy subscriber Posts: 2

I invite you to browse my website and I hope you find the perfect gift

It is my hope that you have a pleasant shopping experience at Miss Gina Designs and that you find items that you can`t live without

These lines make you sound a little desperate - if that makes sense.  Instead of hoping you have a pleasant experience know that you will, you don`t hope they find the perfect gift you know they will.  And the use of "I" insted of "we" makes you seem like you are a small business out of your home - which you probably are but no one needs to know that part.  I always try to make sure I use `we` no matter what.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your reply!  It makes perfect sense and I am off to change the wording now.
    Again, thanks for taking the time.
    Regina
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    The colors are a bit, um, LOUD? 
    I do not like the cursive text.  It`s cute, but it is hard to read.  Also, it doesn`t work in all browsers because you are assuming that the viewer has the same font on their system. 
    The mouseover effect on the nav bar on the left side is inconsistent.  The top half highlights the link and the lower half goes black.
    In your "terms", you say: "Items must be returned unused, unwashed, in original condition and packaging,"   The first two conditions are obvious, but what if the item is received damaged or incorrectly sized?  "Original Package" is usually a euphemism for "unopened".
    On your home page: "Don`t forget to sign up for the Miss Gina Designs newsletter by clicking on the "newsletter" button (at the left vertical navigation bar) for a chance to win a monthly prize!"  is too wordy, too technical.  Most of your customers won`t know or care what a "left vertical navigation bar" is.  Simply invite the customer to sign up for your newsletter.  Give them a link to another page containing the sign-up form and a sample from the newsletter.
  • Options
    Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  I very much appreciate the time that you have taken for this reply.  All very good points, which means I have alot of work to do!  Again, I thank you for your help!
    Regina
  • Options
    Thank you, Steve, for your insight.  Very useful information in which I intend to put to use.  I appreciate you taking your time to help out a "newbie".
    Thanks again,
    Regina