WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

uncertain funding

phatgreenbuds67phatgreenbuds67 subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2008 in Startup Funding
I just returned from my first presentation with an Angel
Group here in Dallas.
It was pretty brutal as their format and time limits are very restrictive.
The business idea I am pitching has a solid model with
tremendous potential. The problem is I come from an engineering technology
world where we speak a different language than the money men. My biggest fear
is that this business will be cast out not because of the idea but instead
because I did not do it justice in the presentation.
My pitch was geared more for the purpose of obtaining the
mentoring then the startup capital. I do need the money but first and foremost
I need to learn the language.
How do I address this? I will not get feedback until Monday
and should it come back negative I am left with little resources to pitch this
again.

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I don`t know which group you presented to , but nearly all provide a guide /outline for the presentation when they schedule you to present. 
    Generally, telling them that you want help is a positive thing. I`m not sure what you can do to change the "first impression" but if you`d like to discuss it - please contact me directly. I`ll be happy to do an analysis of the session and give you my thoughts.
  • Options
    phatgreenbuds67phatgreenbuds67 subscriber Posts: 1
    The group here was StartTechEV. I have found a lot of positive information about them and they seem like a group that I would learn a great deal from.  they did indeed provide a format and for me this was very restrictive as there are so many details and bits of information that I had to omit in order to fit that format and time limit. As a result it ends up looking like I have an idea thats shaky and full of gaps when in fact I have it 90% modeled and solid.
    I would indeed like to discuss this in detail and all its glory with you, but I must wait until I hear the feedback Monday and go from there before I make any further moves.