WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How do you get investors invested in your company?

JayloveJaylove subscriber Posts: 1
edited May 2007 in Growth Funding
I was wondering if anyone knew how to get investors in your company and where do you find them? How do you make them interested in your company? If any one knows please help!  (the company is a clothing line if that helps any)

Comments

• Options
    stevesteve subscriber Posts: 14
    I highly recommend that you read Mommy Millionaire by Kim Lavine. She talks a great deal about this. She also has a great blog. Good luck!
  • Options
    JayloveJaylove subscriber Posts: 1
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I was wondering if anyone knew how to get investors in your company and where do you find them? How do you make them interested in your company? If any one knows please help!  (the company is a clothing line if that helps any)
    To some degree, it depends on the stage of your business. One constant I`ve found is that the potential reward needs to be commensurate with the perceived risk.
    You didn`t indicate the stage of your business, so since I work with early stage companies, and have more history with that group; I`ll give you my observations accordingly.
    1. A perfect business plan will not get you investors - but a poor one will most certainly loose them for you.
    2. Capital is attracted to things that are organized, concise and clearly communicated - repelled by those opposites.
    3. In virtually every client case where capital is acquired the following two conditions existed:
           a. The investor resonated with the "problem" being solved by the product/service.
           b. The investor feel a "connection" with the entrepreneur.
    4. Finally, while the "idea" (concept, etc) may excite them, it is your ability  to execute that moves them to invest. Thus the "team" is crucial.
    Hope this helps.robertj2007-5-30 17:17:50
  • Options
    AdvisorGarageAdvisorGarage subscriber Posts: 10
    A few different sources to consider:
    1) Friends and family2) Friends of Friends and family3) College alumni4) Current employers (Weird but true)5) Local Business chamber of commerce or similar6) our site (http://www.AdvisorGarage.com</A>)plus the usual angels, VCs etc...

AdvisorGarage2007-6-6 16:48:31
  • Options
    consumertreehouseconsumertreehouse subscriber Posts: 11
    I have a friend here in Los Angeles who found and investor, an already established clothing line, for her line by sending out samples of the clothing to the top person at the company. She figured that he or she probably had kids, so she sent out 4 or 5 items to each person/business in hopes that someone contacted her back.I do know that she spent her own money to do this, but it worked for her. Before she did this she was selling her clothing, usually small orders a dozen or so here and a dozen or so there, to small boutiques around the city. She did all the work herself in order to keep the overhead really low. This approach worked for her and her clothes are now selling all around the country.Good Luck
  • Options
    johnqhjohnqh subscriber Posts: 4
    Dramagenics is right on.
    If the idea is good enough that you are putting your own money, or life saving into it, it is probably a good idea and some other investors will be interested in.
    And guess what, if you really invested your own money and time, even 100K can get a lot of things in order (patents, suppliers, very accurate financial planning etc). Investors like that.
  • Options
    johncaryjohncary subscriber Posts: 3 Member